Problem adjusting tight hardtop fixings

Started by uktotty, December 3, 2008, 14:17

uktotty

Trying to adjust the hard top fixings to remove that awful rattle, went out and purchased a whole new set of Torx things in Allen Key stylie.
Try as I might, I cannot move the screws in the roof in any direction.

SteveJ

The adjustment is on the HT latches NOT the plates on the screen surround.

The torque figures for the bolts you are trying to undo IIRC are seriously high!

uktotty

Cheers Steve, will try the ones on the roof not on the car  s:) :) s:)

SteveJ

The latches adjust in the same way as the soft-top - open them up, release the little plastic retaining clip and adjust the hexagonal piece to tighten the latch.

Do this a little at a time otherwise you will end up stretching the mechansim.

(This has been covered before BTW  s;) ;) s;)  )

Liz

MOD - Have changed the title to something a little less double meaning
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aluk49

Mine rattle too, and all the adjustment of the hex bolt in the catch has been used up...  I was going to try moving the actual catch too.  Any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Quote from: "aluk49"Mine rattle too, and all the adjustment of the hex bolt in the catch has been used up...  I was going to try moving the actual catch too.  Any other suggestions?

Back to step one.

Loosen all the catches, plus loosen the adjusters. Take off the plastics at the side strikers, loosen the bolts holding on the strikers, push up the strikers so that the hardtop sits flush on them, retighten the bolts, redo the catches and tighten the adjusters on the catches.

uktotty

will try this again when I have more light!!

uktotty

OK Just to update this thread as I am very annoyed!!!

Went to tighten the fixings today on the hard top, got my newly purchased torx sercurity allen key things, removed the catches on the roof and my mate said
"what about those"
"What about what" I replied
"the hexagonal barrell finger and thumb thingys"
So we removed the plastic clip, tightened up the finger tightening adjusters, replaced the plastic clip and closed the hard top.
Rattle gone!

Did nobody mention this before?

aaronjb

Yes, they did mention it:

Quote from: "SteveJ"The latches adjust in the same way as the soft-top - open them up, release the little plastic retaining clip and adjust the hexagonal piece to tighten the latch.

Do this a little at a time otherwise you will end up stretching the mechansim.

(This has been covered before BTW  s;) ;) s;)  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

LOL see now that post make perfect sense, before I saw the hexagonal thing, that post made no sense at all!

Apologies all round for being a dumbo

VVT-i

That's quite all right m8... we're used to it  s;) ;) s;)
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

TO-OLD

is it on here where it can be done?

uktotty

Its the hexagonal barrel shaped thing in the pic.
You have a photo of it and cant see it!
makes me feel better now, thanks  s;) ;) s;)

TO-OLD

im as thick as you   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   would you edit it and put a marker on whar needs to be adjusted  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   please

uktotty

TO-OLD

Hey thanks for that   lol

Anonymous

Quote from: "TO-OLD"

is it on here where it can be done?

Hi guys, im a newbie so be nice, please!!! lol

i have been reading through this forum a lot recently! back in march i got myself a post facelift 2! very pleased with it. just 1 more thing i want for it is a hardtop, have found one that im interested in it has the rear fixing brackets but doesnt come with the part shown in this pic that is attatched to the car. do you guys think it would be ok to drive the car temporarily without these?? i will be looking at getting them soon but will it be safe without them for now? any help appreciated, thanks

Gareth

Ilogik

As long as the fronts and the rear hook eye things are in place, its pretty solid without the side ones untill you getthem. Picked my hard top, with just the front ones attached.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

ah thats great news, thanks for the quick reply, do you have any idea how much it would set me back for those? are they called the 'strikers'?

markiii

Quote from: "Ilogik"As long as the fronts and the rear hook eye things are in place, its pretty solid without the side ones untill you getthem. Picked my hard top, with just the front ones attached.

wouldn;t risk it personaly certainly not for more than teh trip to fetch it at the most. if it comes off your going to get done for causing an accident and end up with a fubared uninsured hardtop
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Agree with Markii, basically all that is holding it on is the two front latches, i.e. only 50% of what toyota deemed necessary.

no1trancefan

i wanted to adjust mine a bit to make sure there isnt any damp getting in as have some condensation and can hear some wind noise on driver side front and not passenger side, is it clockwise to tighten?

Two's Company

How tight are your front clasps with the hardtop on? Mine are adjusted to maximum tightness but the clasp doesn't visibly tighten up like when you put the soft top up. No rattles because previous owner put felt pads on the clasp.

chimpman

not tight at all but no slack. seems solid. i suspect the softop was designed to be slightly undesize so it can be pulled taught. no movement whatsoever on my hardtop if i try and give it a good wiggle.
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

Tags: