Problem adjusting tight hardtop fixings

Started by uktotty, December 3, 2008, 14:17

StuC

Mine feel the same with the soft or hard top.

I wonder if your springs or mech has got some wear in it. I know my hard top ones have extra movement in them so i have to cable ties them shut.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Two's Company

With the soft top you can feel and see the mechanism tightening and pulling the roof in.  With the hard top they just close even on maximum tightness.  There is more movement in the side ones.

Dougster7

Quote from: "no1trancefan"i wanted to adjust mine a bit to make sure there isnt any damp getting in as have some condensation and can hear some wind noise on driver side front and not passenger side, is it clockwise to tighten?

Did you figure out which way was to tighten and loosen, I'm going to have to make a slight adjustment on mine as started to rattle a bit.
2ZZ by Rogue

Dougster7

Piece of cake, can't remember which way does what but only a slight turn either way makes a big difference, another job done   s:D :D s:D
2ZZ by Rogue

Bossworld

Took a look at mine this morning as it seems to rattle from the rear hook of the driver's side.

Catches aren't loose but they seem to have been adjusted all the way already. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment possible on the front catches. Am I best to start messing about with the driver's side striker?

JoeCool

Once you've run out of slack like that, the only solution I've seen is to dismantle the latch mechanism and take a few mm off of the end of Hexagonal adjuster body. Then you can wind it in a bit further. I was considering doing this to mine at some point, but I'm living with the rattle for now.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Dougster7

I can't remember what I did to sort it but it was fairly straight forward and minimal adjustment required, think I had over tightened it which caused rattle and the side clamps to keep popping out. There's one guy at my local Toyota garage that knows how to adjust these properly so I get him to do that when in for mot / service.

Don't resort to cable tying it just yet, somenone on here will have the know how
2ZZ by Rogue

Bossworld

It's not popping out or anything, can echo the posts above that it doesn't seem to pull as tight as the soft top. But there does seem to be some play at the rear offside hook.

Might try and pad something under the hook area, or have a look into raising the driver's side striker up?

Tags: