Anyone had snow?

Started by Anonymous, January 26, 2004, 17:58

Anonymous

Quote from: "victor"This is outside my flat. The snow has melted a bit over the last couple of days, but its snowing again now. It doesn't look much, but the bits that are not plowed are about 9" deep. Where the plow has been, its a up to window hight on some cars that were parked at the time.

Still, I'm off to Crete of Saturday house hunting where its currently 19 deg C!

oh yes remember that sort of snow very well from when I was stationed in iserlohn, reguarly had to dig cars out just to get into the barracks

Peter Laborne

Have a look at  m http://www.peter-laborne.co.uk/snow2004 m  (using a 2.1mp camera on highest resolution setting)

Not bad considering 1/2 hour ago the roads and back garden was clear. We've had about 1 inch of snow in 1/2 hour!!!!

BTW it's not misty/foggy in the pics.

MR2Blue

Quote from: "MR2Blue"We had a blizzard on the Wirral for about half an hour between 2 - 2.30, nearly all gone now, melted away.  s:) :) s:)

Just taken my wife to work, the snow that thawed, has now turned to ice, very slippy on the side roads.

Take care  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Its been snowing all day in Hull and it still is   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Benn mental at times   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

im snowed in... AT WORK!!!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Its taken me 40 mins to drive out the carpark round the building and back in again! Problem is, im VERY low on petrol and if i tried to make it to a garage in this traffic i would run out on the way. Looks like im here for a while till the traffic dies down. Problem is, we have another blizzard due in 4 hours so i have to leave before then.

Anonymous

first mota casualty. mrs did the school run in the mondeo and managed to slide up the back of a nissan  s:-( :-( s:-(   fortunately no body hurt and they were both company cars so no probs.

she reckons she was only doing about 5 mph so careful out there peeps

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"im snowed in... AT WORK!!!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Its taken me 40 mins to drive out the carpark round the building and back in again!

m http://www.snowchains.co.uk m

And they deliver!!!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Liz

Nice blizzard conditions in deepest darkest Essex at the moment, glad I have got this week off work, put my car on the drive as soon as the builders had gone so no one skidded into it! Its not going to move again until it has thawed!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"http://www.snowchains.co.uk

And they deliver!!!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Though joking aside, I have been very tempted by these after last years snow:

m http://www.snowchainwarehouse.co.uk/Sno ... 2_162.html m

Ok they are £138 per pair and I suppose you would need a couple of pairs (what's the point if you can move yet can't steer), but I reckon they would pay off after a couple of years as :
a) you would still be able to get into work and get paid instead of having to take unpaid leave
b) more grip on snow and ice = less chance of crashing your 2 = keeping no claims
c) you can still get to the pub (or shops for the lady owners here)

Anonymous

Had to leave mine at work in Stevenage just like last year   s:x :x s:x   - by the time I had cleared the rear window the front had snowed over again. Thank goodness for the train (and I don't say that often   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  )

Safer there than being shafted from behind or from the side. One of my colleagues saw a MR2 being carried away with a damaged rear this morning  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

kanujunkie

20minutes ago there was no snow, now there is  2 inches  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   and it's getting worse, at one point i couldn't see the houses 30 yards away just a vague outline of lighted windows! i was ment to be working nights tonight outdoors so guess what i'm doing   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Started snowing before about 4pm... When I tried to leave I couldn't even get the car out of the carpark.  Left it there and got a lift.

However... on the way back I had to stop to help a silver '2, as it had got stuck at the bottom of a hill.  Gave it a push to the top.  Thing she learned... keep the tool roll with the towing eye in the car, more chance of getting pulled up.

And no, didn't get a chance to give her a flyer, they're all in my car in the carpark.  s:( :( s:(

Just got home now.

filcee

Quote from: "SteveJ"Luton got about 2 inches overnight - took me 10 minutes to get off the drive this morning, but once I did, BOY am I glad I have traction control and VSC. Just hit the throttle and let the computers argue it out amongst themselves - the backend drifts out slightly and sits there. COOL!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

It is a little disconcerting to hear the ABS pump chattering away even without touching the brake pedal though!!!!!

I'm sitting in a hotel in London, looking at freezing slush covered roads, wondering how the heck do I get to the next hotel tomorrow night, then I read this!  Yay! I may have a chance.

All I need to know is how sideways?  I have to get down a narrow road with parked cars on both sides on the way out of the client's car park tomorrow  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ...  -er-  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   must remember my no claims bonus  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   :-) :-) :-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

kanujunkie

my rear end was sliding out 40 degrees on tickover in 2nd gear, i turned round, put the car away and called in sick to work  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  cheaper than losing your no claims, if you can walk or take public transport then do it, it's cheaper  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Chris

Quote from: "Chris"it must be moving up the country - clear and cloudy in london bridge now...

ok scratch that!!  about 4.30 it hit london hard - must've got 1.5/2 inches in about 45 mins or so!!  What a freaky day!!  I put pics on my earlier post up there for the interested/nosy/bored...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

There is now a SERIOUS amount of snow in Hull.

Its been falling all night and it as to bea bout 5" deep now, and i just realised my Van has NO ANTIFREEZE IN IT   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Chris

Quote from: "bigun007"and i just realised my Van has NO ANTIFREEZE IN IT   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I tried checking the level in my '2 but couldn't get the 'squeezy tube thing with the floaty balls' testing device in far enough due to the high bottle and small opening   s:x :x s:x    I'm hoping that being a new car, the levels should be ok!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:? :? s:?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Just spoke to a lady that had come from London, she said its nothign like it is here down there - its almost up at my knee's here now, she had just got off the train and was trying to get into my house lol.

I'n not thought to check the MR2 as mine is new also   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Slacey

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"c) you can still get to the pub (or shops for the lady owners here)
I seem to remeber that it's you who moans about not getting to the shops, not the ladies  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

It began snowing just minutes after I left work last night, BIG time. Must have had an inch or more in about 15 mins.

I was coping ok until I came up on a lorry going uphill slowly on the slush, and no chance of changing lane (dual carriageway) without losing it on the undriven snow. So I just had to slip the clutch and follow him up at a discreet distance for half a mile. Mmm, nice clutch smell  s;) ;) s;)

Then was the second big hill (which I knew was coming, and would be worse, but no avoiding it to get home)... I managed to cue up a clear run up, only for some twat in a van to pull out from the kerb (on his second attempt) not far in front of me!!! Somehow I managed to miss him, and ended up half-sideways blocking the hill. Fortunately some passers-by helped out, and with a good shove, third gear and loads of clutch spin, I managed to get it rolling again.

I'm still at home this morning; that frozen sheet ice outside is not looking inviting...  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Tell you what, the conditions out there are actually worse than yesterday with all that snow. Its all frozen BIG time over night and it is hellish to go anywhere. I stayed at home cos I couldn't get out of my village. I am now thinking that I should have done the same this morning. 25mins to travel no more than about 3/4 mile, uphill with second gear wheelspin all the way. No more than 50mph at any point on the A14 and A11 as there were STILL big chunks of ice that were rumbling through the steering wheel every time you went over them and tried to avoid them.

I should have stayed at home. I don't like this at all. I can handle snow. Ice, I don't like.............

Anonymous

Well i FINALLY got home. gave up and spent the night in northampton after getting 5 miles in 3 hours! This morning was fun... watching all the people slide all over the place as they are too far up eachothers arses!   s:x :x s:x    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Made it home in about 2 hours, which aint too bad.

Anonymous

I'm in work... managed to move my car from one carpark to another, and that was about it.  

I've no idea how the anti-stall feature works... but it got me up the slope out of the first carpark.  Just rolled towards the slope, took my feet off the pedals and the car just drove itself up the slope.  Was very very strange.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "phil4"I've no idea how the anti-stall feature works... but it got me up the slope out of the first carpark.  Just rolled towards the slope, took my feet off the pedals and the car just drove itself up the slope.  Was very very strange.

it's just a standard runaround system, if it senses the rpm dropping below a certain level then it'll add a bit more fuel to maintain minimum rpm.

Mine was slipping all over the place last night at minimum rpm though, you could actually push the back end of the car sideways by hand, v.slippery!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

heathstimpson

Waited until 9pm for the traffic to die down yesterday and still took over six hours up the M1  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  All roads including the motorways were terrible and the snow had frozen; sheet bloody ice with crashed and abandoned motors everywhere.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: