Replacement Wheel Sizes

Started by dancarbon, June 20, 2003, 14:59

dancarbon

I personally think the wheels on Mr.2 are a little on the small side, I know it's a controversial issue but that's jus the way it is.

What I was wondering, was can anyone lend me a grand to buy some wheels? No? Oh well.

What I really want to know is are there any adverse effects if the wheel and tyre combination run slightly larger than the stock sizes? I know the speedo will be slightly out but I rarely look at that anyway   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Any advice of what wheel/tyre combinations you guys have used would be interesting too.

Cheers
DC
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Just a quick point...

Japanese manufacturers often use wheel size/tyre profile when factoring suspension settings.  This is why lots of Japanese cars have smaller wheels with higher profile tyres as the manufacturers use side wall flex as part of the suspension system.  This is also why Japanese cars seem to be more sensitive to differing tyre pressures than European cars.

Sounds odd I know but bear with me...

Anyway, changing for bigger wheels with lower profile tyre may adversly affect handling and you will probably need to mess around a bit with your tyre pressures etc.

One other thing (guys, you know what's coming here...) make sure that if you go for bigger wheels that they are no heavier than the stock wheels as you will notice the hit on accelleration.  Not just because of the added total weight of the car but more importnatly because heavier wheels have more inertia and and more difficult to get spinning, especially when you've got no torque to speak of!

--H--

mph

[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

dancarbon

Cheers, interesting reading.
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Tags: