The truth is out there...

Started by Chris, January 27, 2004, 23:15

Chris

Has anyone got this weeks autocar mag?

check out page 27   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Ties in nicely with Martin's Essen report...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

interesting that the are implying it won't be available for teh SMT?

Wonder how definate the Toyota approval is?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

Interesting article...Just another note..I absolutely love that TTE front! I thought they had stopped making them but obviously not!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Any guesstimates as to how much the braces might add to the £21k est. price they gave there ??

Anonymous

Nice stuff!  s:) :) s:)

Looks like I'll need to wait another 10-20 years to be able to afford the insurance though   s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Very nice but a few extra quid needed for that group buy  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Just why is it the drivers of these cars in these photos always look so miserable.  The '2 as we all know is a very smiley car.  Add a Turbo and I'm surprised they're not looking like the joker.   So why the misery?

Same case on the offical Porsche GT pics, the driver of that motor also looks like his cat's just died.

Why would I want to spend 4K on a turbo that makes me that miserable?

Tem

£21k?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The Yaris Turbo is more over here...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

£21 is a lot of money.... insurance group 18 is also higher than i would have expected, but it could be worse!

That front bumper looks like its been ripped off the new celica...

GSB

How the hell are they sqeezing an extra 15mph out of it, mines screaming it's pods off at 130! (On a private test track your honour....)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"How the hell are they sqeezing an extra 15mph out of it

With the 6th gear?

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"interesting that the are implying it won't be available for the SMT?

Pure journalism I suspect; they imply the SMT can't handle the torque. But it's the same gearbox, just with a hydro-mechanical "hand" to change gear for you, is it not?

GSB

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "GSB"How the hell are they sqeezing an extra 15mph out of it

With the 6th gear?

Ahhh... yes.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Of course, 6th gear... the one that comes after 5th...

Think man, think.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

mph

Quote from: "markiii"interesting that the are implying it won't be available for the SMT?
The gearbox is the same so don't believe this. At a guess, the reason this has happened because if you give an inexperienced SMT driver a go in turbo, they'll *hate* the gear change and so slate the car. A reporter will want to 'test' the SMT (coz it's kewl) so you've got to come up with some excuse why he gets lumbered with the manual... my personal opinion   s:) :) s:)  

Quote from: "AllyY"Any guesstimates as to how much the braces might add to the £21k est. price they gave there ??
All the bracing you need is already available to buy. You'll want a front strut bar, anti-flex plate, and if you've not got the newer '03, then the front & rear member braces. Even without the turbo, these improve the car to a new level.

Quote from: "GSB"How the hell are they sqeezing an extra 15mph out of it, mines screaming it's pods off at 130! (On a private test track your honour....)
See my post about doing 150mph (GPS verified) in my '01 5-speed SMT...
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

ah crap.

Anonymous

"ah crap" = Now I don't know if I should get the S3 or keep the MR2 and wait to see if the turbo happens.  I need the boot space, but 200bhp in a Toyota turbo seems like worth the wait.

Tem

Quote from: "WoodenDummy""ah crap" = Now I don't know if I should get the S3 or keep the MR2 and wait to see if the turbo happens.  I need the boot space, but 200bhp in a Toyota turbo seems like worth the wait.

Didn't you mention that you don't really care for the convertible-part...or am I confusing you to someone else?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

If you remove the softtop completely, you'll get decent space. And take the doors off for easier access while you're at it  s;) ;) s;)  It's nothing compared to "normal" boot, but bigger than the one in Mk1 MR2 for example..

Anonymous

True, but it wouldn't really be enough as I need to carry things like screens etc...

I also never get pulled over in a friends S3 or in my dads Volvo, but stick me in my yellow '2 and I can get pulled twice in one night.

markiii

£21k, I'll be surprised if it's available as a complete car, tats probably a guess based on retail prices for all the parts they added and a brand new 2.

TTE, were pretty sure it would be aftermarket only.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Think someone should make a post on SC?

Tem

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"I also never get pulled over in a friends S3 or in my dads Volvo, but stick me in my yellow '2 and I can get pulled twice in one night.

That is so true! I have a '88 BMW for this winter and no matter how I drive, I don't seem to get any attention from authorities. And I do slide it all around on icy roads  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  MR2 gets the attention even when driving nicely  s:( :( s:(

And about the price, didn't the media guestimate a price for the TTE's V6 as well..? They are probably doing just the same here..

GSB

Never had a problem with getting pulled in the MR2, only once (last month - speed trap) since I bought it...

Mind you, I do live in London, and unlike most forces the police here really do have more pressing things to worry about than pulling someone over late at night because they're bored...

markiii

yep findin a dunkin donuts can be hard work.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"yep findin a dunkin donuts can be hard work.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I don't get pulled either, not without a reason anyway, but the cops seem to have a habit of turning after me and following from a distance. I'd consider myself paranoid, but that never happens with the BMW (nor with the Carina I had last winter).

Anonymous

Never had a problem either... too many Porsche, Elise, VX220s and the like round here I think.

Tags: