The truth is out there...

Started by Chris, January 27, 2004, 23:15

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"Never had a problem either... too many Porsche, Elise, VX220s and the like round here I think.

Ah, you're probably right, that would explain it...we really don't have any "big name performance cars" over here, so MR2 probably gets the attention instead of them  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I'm saiving already.

I NEED all that stuff apart from the bumper as i'm not sure about it, i prefer the trial kit.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"£21k, I'll be surprised if it's available as a complete car, tats probably a guess based on retail prices for all the parts they added and a brand new 2.

TTE, were pretty sure it would be aftermarket only.

New car + Dealer fitted option = complete car

markiii

thats the only thing that worries me.

Woudl yout trust MrT techs to fit a turbo kit.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

But if it were dealer fit then you'd have warranty on it surely?

markiii

you would.

doesn't mean I want to leave them to fix problems with a turbocharged engine either.

muppets struggle with an NA 1zz and thats in 5 million Yaris's
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I'm guessing (but you were the guys that spoke to TTE  s;) ;) s;)  ) that retention of warranty will be dependent upon MrT fitting. Whilst the component turbo parts might be warrantied by TTE for a self-/third-party install, I don't reckon subsequent (and dependent) engine problems would be.

Anonymous

Don't Mr T warrant all work for 1 year (On new parts) anyway?

markiii

All true Phil, though there was discussion ref a number of reputable Turbo outlets (by example Millway or Owens) being sanctioned to fit it.

However since Approval by the great Toyota machine is required I doubt that would come off.

Chris

I noticed the thing about the smt as well mark, but thought that if martin's older 5 speed can take it then there should be no reason for the newer 6 speed to be any different!!

So, it looks like about the time i'm allowed to drive again, the turbo will be a reality!   s8) 8) s8)   Cue new car, and phone call to dorset!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
as long as i can afford it, as i'm supposed to be saving for a 25yr ball and chain.... ermm sorry, house   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

BTW, beat ya to it darth - there are sometimes advantages to being online late...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "Chris"So, it looks like about the time i'm allowed to drive again, the turbo will be a reality!   s8) 8) s8)   Cue new car, and phone call to dorset!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I wouldn't bother with the phone call to Dorset.. I just called - barely modified 2002 car (see my sig), 25 yrs old, 7yrs NCB!, parked on street..

£1400 with a non-protected NCB..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

Chris,

Martins works because he went 5th injector. A must because he had to use the dastek due to being SMT and the dastek won't control injector duty. Though I'm not sure if he explored the emanage which can.

In theory not a problem since TTE are making their own ECU, however looking back on the meetings I don't beleive they actually said for definate that it would be available for SMT.

lets hope so.

You could get around it by adding your own ecu, but then no warranty, and without that is it worth te price premium? Food for thought.

But mostly speculation at this point.

mph

aaronjb: Ugh! It's likely that it's location & age, not the mods that are the issue.

markiii: You really do have a terrible memory! We were told it will work with all variants of the mk3.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"aaronjb: Ugh! It's likely that it's location & age, not the mods that are the issue.

Looks like it - my post code is SL1, which can't exactly be great (and is probably getting worse). Still madness though, my renewal quote was only £950 mods declared from Bell Direct.. Although only for 10 months.

Anyway, enough terrible thread drift from me (I'm off to call all the Insurers I can find)

Turbo kit still looks good..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I'd try Privilege online, even with my ban i'm still getting the quotes of my dreams.

Hey look at it this way, if I buy a S3 at least you guys will have a pack horse for JAE.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

no chance of you winning best car though   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Chris"BTW, beat ya to it darth - there are sometimes advantages to being online late...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I scanned all the thread titles as well before I posted, to prevent a double post. However 'The truth is out there' held little clue of the thread content! I was thinking more of naked piccies of Gillian Anderson...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Oh, btw, have you seen Autocar this week......

DP

markiii

Quote from: "mph"aaronjb: Ugh! It's likely that it's location & age, not the mods that are the issue.

markiii: You really do have a terrible memory! We were told it will work with all variants of the mk3.

Just easily convinced,

Steve spent several hours remindign me that they never specifically said it would work on SMT.

Still, your the man with the notes.

Chris

Quote from: "Darth Paul"
Quote from: "Chris"BTW, beat ya to it darth - there are sometimes advantages to being online late...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I scanned all the thread titles as well before I posted, to prevent a double post. However 'The truth is out there' held little clue of the thread content! I was thinking more of naked piccies of Gillian Anderson...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Oh, btw, have you seen Autocar this week......

DP

He he...  I like to keep people guessing!!

ermmm... that is this weeks one (the one with the new jag on the front)   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?
[size=100]
[/size]

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Chris"ermmm... that is this weeks one (the one with the new jag on the front)   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?

Er, yeah. I know. I was just taking the piss out of myself for duplicate posting earlier.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Sheesh!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Anonymous

Privilege is my insurance company and they have been really good about my slight engine mod  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

With your doubts of mrT installing a turbo! Being the only person here that has installed it totally myself, that i know of, i would trust them. At the end of the day it only involves dropping the exhaust manifold and replacing it with a new one with a turbo added.A few pipes later and a change of sump,its done. If they were to tune it i would run a mile, i admit, but it honestly is a 3-4 hour job.What they've put in their management system is my concern, when your boosting at 4.5psi knowing there's so much more available will you be happy? Can you adjust the maps to add more boost, without spending more money on another management system? I hope you guys that are waiting for this TTE turbo aren't dissapointed, maybe i've just been turbo'd 2 long and being spoilt with choice of boost level, but 4.5psi is tickling the potential and it's like a bug once you start.  s:D :D s:D

Chris

Quote from: "Darth Paul"
Quote from: "Chris"ermmm... that is this weeks one (the one with the new jag on the front)   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?

Er, yeah. I know. I was just taking the piss out of myself for duplicate posting earlier.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Sheesh!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Ahhh, not quite with your level of intellectual wit!!    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Could've been the crap day at work that I was surfing to try and avoid!!
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

nice article, although I dont see what would steering wheel "shimmers" have to do with a turbo, it is not as if you are going to do a curve under fulll throtle...? prolly the test car was a bit beaten up...

And article clearly states it is a dealer installed kit, no need to get assumptions running wild, we all know from TTE report that it will be a kit only... 2-3 yrs of warranty sound good to me, and 195 hp + sub 6 sec 0-62 sound even better

Tags: