Would you buy it back or move on??

Started by Anonymous, January 8, 2009, 12:05

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Due to the Ice my Girlfriend wrote-off her car on Saturday night  s:-( :-( s:-(
 m http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/823996.htm m

Lucky her and the baby or ok (yes she's pregnant)

We was looking to sell the car to get a bigger family car for her anyway so this might be a blessing in disguised.

Anyway, the damage on the car is all panel work - engine still starts and drives and airbags are intact etc aswel.

2005 55 140bhp 39k mint engine with 6 speed box and all ecu etc to sell for a conversion or sell the car on ebay as it is.

So if the insurance company says I can have the car back cheap enough should I bother buying it or is it more work than its worth??

What do u think???

StuM

Sorry to hear of this, as always, the important thing is that the people are ok.

To buy or not to buy is difficult and will depend on many factors.  One thing to bear in mind is that as a crash-repaired vehicle (once the insurance company write it off, it'll be logged so will show on HPI checks etc) it will be worth significantly less than before - even if it is repaired to as-new state.  

A lot will depend on the type of damage too.  You say panels, but what about chassis damage?

As the car was up for sale anyway, I think if it were me and the insurance company pay out a decent amount, I'd be inclined to take it and move on.  It is a sad fact that these cars have lost value hugely over the last 12 months and all examples seem to take a long time to sell.  You'd hate to be in a position of buying it back, doing all the work and then struggling to sell whilst watching it depreciate.

Good luck with whatever you choose though.

Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Two's Company

I would imagine it would be worth about £5k as a repaited cat C or D, maybe less.  Unless you know someone who can repair it to a good standard cheaply then I doubt you're going to make much money on it.  I probably wouldn't want the bother seen as you were trying to sell it anyway.

Anonymous

markiii

if you have the time skill and they want no more than a grand yes

big issue is thhe amount of paintwork it will need

most other thinsg are bolt on fixable I reckon. Though teh angle fo teh rear wheel is a little concerning
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I'd only buy it to sell it straight away - We've got no need for it now so it would be pointless spending time and effort on it.
In parts alone its gotta be worth more than £2k

roger

Quote from: "miriam1988"In parts alone its gotta be worth more than £2k

...but you'll have to find somebody willing to do the hard work, and then hope there's a market for the bits.  Last time I had a look on Ebay there were 2 or 3 part-outs, none selling very well.

However the roof, seats and wheels may be your best chance with minimum effort.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have it looking like this??
 m http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/99213-new-ab ... t-car.html m

philster_d

Quote from: "roger"However the roof, seats and wheels may be your best chance with minimum effort.

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   the wheels !! ?

markiii

looks better as it is

that looks like teh bastard child of a veilside kit and a squashed carera gt  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "philster_d"
Quote from: "roger"However the roof, seats and wheels may be your best chance with minimum effort.

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   the wheels !! ?

Nothing that a quick refurb couldn't sort out, assuming of course thay come off the axles   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

If the rear left light is still good, can I have it please??

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"If the rear left light is still good, can I have it please??

Yes its Mint - depends on what i'm doing with it - its in FIXAUTO in cardiff at the moment so I cant touch it  s:-( :-( s:-(

ChrisGB

Good engine and box could be worth a few bob to someone with a blown engine. Soft top is worth a few quid also. I would give no more that £850 - £1000 for it as it stands.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Assuming you haven't already got it, you need to wait for the insurance companies valuation offer before making a decision. Even if it is just panels, the rear end and the respray you are looking at a fair bit of dosh if you want a good job. As others have said, the rear end looks a bit dodgy (chassis out of line?) Hope you get a better offer than you think and I'm glad everyone is ok.

custardavenger

Sorry to hear about you troubles. I'm not sure if the insurance company would let you buy it. Also the damage looks like it would need alot of work and money to get back to standard but would be fine as a project to take a body kit.

Also I would guess the rear wheel is bent (mine was from similar)

If your not looking at keeping the car anyway then probably best to let the insurance company have it. It all depends on what they offer you and wether they'll let you buy it.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Ilogik

that build is amazig on your link.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: