1995 Toyota MR-J

Started by Tem, February 2, 2009, 22:37

Tem

I suppose this is "MR2 related".  s8) 8) s8)

Interesting pics and story, found on another forum. Looks like a prototype of a protype. Is this where the Roadster actually started? Sure sounds a lot like it, with the luggage space behind the seats, retractable hardtop and being a 1.8l mid-engined convertible. Heck, even the instrument cover looks just like ours.  s:D :D s:D  

QuoteA major focal point of the Toyota exhibit in 1996 was the MRJ concept vehicle. The prototype was on revue to gauge public reaction to the sports car's compact exterior styling. Featuring a retractable hardtop roof, the MRJ used a mid-engine, DOHC 20-valve 1.8-liter 4-cylinder with variable valve timing and 170 horses. The instrument panel consisted of LCD monitors and an analogue tachometer. One LCD monitor alternated between displaying the speedometer and a cluster of gauges. The other monitor could be switched between the navigation mode and the audio/air-conditioner mode. You could arrange the MRJ seats to suit a range of needs. The rear seats folded down or pushed up and away to reveal an unexpectedly large luggage space. And the regular 2+2 configuration allowed for 4-passengers.

Pic of 1997 MR-S, while we're at it, though I'm sure most have seen this.

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

roger

As a 2+2 that's got to be longer than the final version, I wonder why they did away with the seats / extra space? That would have answered all those "no space" critics.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

loadswine

LCD dash eh? Looks like mine is more true to the original than I thought.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
You can clearly see those styling cues though. Shame it didn't get the 170 horse engine.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

StuM

It's always interesting to see how a concept matures into the final road going car - and see what gets lost along the way.

There are some more pics here:

Clicky

Not loving that show-car's interior I have to say!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

And some more here:

Clicky
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

roger

Thats only about 10cms longer than the final Mk3 - and they get in a retractible hood and rear seats.

Reckon the rear seats were lost for the bins and manual hood, with the tin top going in over the engine.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ex-member

Reminds me of the Veranti attempt...

filcee

I would guess lots of the MRJ was lost in the interest of weight saving and improving the balance of the car.

Interesting that they managed to fit a retractable hard top and a mid-engine into the car.  I've often said on here that it can't be done.  Looks like I'm wrong, then  s:-D :-D s:-D

$64k question:  12 years on in time and technology, will they make one with a 'hybrid' donkey in the back?  Or would we still have weight and balance problems?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: