Stuck for an exhaust. Help!!!! Got the exhaust but Help

Started by manchestermatt1986, February 15, 2009, 18:47

manchestermatt1986

Hi

Iv just joined the website today and will have my profile and pics up and running soon. Basically i have and MR-S 1.8 vvti 2000 in black and iv fallen in love. Mostly all l i have done to it is cosmetic so far with trd kit, rays lightweight alloys and bought a hardtop.

However i want to move onto perfromance now, from power to braking, from handling to stiffness.

I have an injen induction kit as i was told by many that it was well worth the price and one of the best for this particular car.

Id like some advice from the veterans on what exhaust i should be looking at, not just for sporty look and sound but for performance and the cars breathing. whether i should get a full system including manifold and if so which on ect.

Cheers
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

spit

Welcome to the ROC   s8) 8) s8)  

Difficult to comment on exhaust only as most of our members have combinations of exhaust/manifold/cat/intake and other paraphernalia.

Its a kinda predictable response, but have a good read around the forums  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  There are some sound clips kicking about too.

If your username reflects your location, perhaps you'd like to join one of our meets and mooch over a few variations? Lots of options covered across the NW blatpack.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

manchestermatt1986

yea defo would like to have a meet up. im actually at work at the moment (being naughty using the net) so i havent really got the time to grasp how to use the site, i prefer face to face chats. but i have so many quesiotns about stuff i want to do to the car.

as a starting point then can anyone tell me if i should just get a new exhaust or is it worthwhile getting a manifold and system all the way through?
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

manchestermatt1986

I have used bay and google and found 3 i like the look ofa single exit blue flame, a single exit HKS which is very pricy and a Quad exit by cobra. i like the cobra the most but it has no dyno proven results and i think it looksl like it is made up for the car and therefore is probably just looks and sound based, i want everyhting i spend on the car to be as good as it can be, looks, sound, performance. i dont want to hold the car back with cheap stuff

ChuckyBru

Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"I have used bay and google and found 3 i like the look ofa single exit blue flame, a single exit HKS which is very pricy and a Quad exit by cobra. i like the cobra the most but it has no dyno proven results and i think it looksl like it is made up for the car and therefore is probably just looks and sound based, i want everyhting i spend on the car to be as good as it can be, looks, sound, performance. i dont want to hold the car back with cheap stuff
Welcome,
If your interested in the Cobra Exhaust take a peak here: http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22756   s8) 8) s8)
[size=85]Charlie
2001... with added
TTET. [/i]
My fuel consumption.[/size]

manchestermatt1986

cheers chuckybru, i am swaying towards the cobra and that link u gave me was a big nug. if anyone has got any exhausts in mind that would take my attention please let me know. im thinking that the whole system would be a good idea along with this unichip everyone is telling me about, so what about a manifold, anyone got any ideas?

Anonymous

First thing is your precats, are they still in? If so gut them, or buy a che manifold (search on here or on spyderchat forum)
Main thing is to get the precats out though.

manchestermatt1986

right im really sorry, but your going to have to work with me here in layman terms. im looking into the performance side of it all but all i know so far is iv got an injen induction and that is pretty good. people are going on about doing all the anti roll bars and the belly and all sorts and its going over my head. so what are the precats?

Quote from: "nelix"First thing is your precats, are they still in? If so gut them, or buy a che manifold (search on here or on spyderchat forum)
Main thing is to get the precats out though.

Anonymous

Matt, precats are in the manifold and are known to cause engine failure, give me a sec and i will post a link.

Anonymous

Read This
Basically get them out asap.

markiii

exhaust wise Hayward and Scott would get my money (and did)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Kool PT

and mine. i've just fitted mine and it sounds pants-wettingly good combined with my PPE cold air intake.

they are still available new and crop up from time to time usually around 250 quid on the private sales section of this site
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "nelix"Read This
Basically get them out asap.

cheers for this link nelix, its really useful. going to be too busy today to read it but i will read it properly tonight. cant believe the response on this site. learnt more bout my 2 in 2days than in the last 6 months.

Anonymous

For the best sounding exhaust go for Janspeed and you get a downpipe with sports cat included   s:D :D s:D

damonlaw88

Quote from: "craig_tf"For the best sounding exhaust go for Janspeed and you get a downpipe with sports cat included   s:D :D s:D

+1 My friends roadster sounds incredibly loud with the CHE manifold and Janspeed.
Matt - It depends on what of style you would like for your MR2. I personally love the Jap Can one's like Kakimoto, 5 Zigen, Blitz Nur Spec S and Apexi N1.
Something like the pic below.
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

manchestermatt1986

well iv been looking at all sorts of differnt ends, and to be honest im stuck between the quad end of the cobra and a nice j-spec can, but what will sway me will be the performance and how well it will go with other mods such as a unichip or emanage, manifold, things like that.

Anonymous

If you intend improving the exhaust system and getting a unichip, don't forget to add a re-map into the equation.

As said before, I already had a unichip, then had the Cobra quad pipes fitted, the gains that the chip offered were lost as soon as the new system was fitted and I'm sure a remap would have improved things.  
i eventually I sold the unichip and (after nearly melting my cat) went down the road of Che header and sports cat in conjunction with the quad, although I can only vouch by the experience of my "Butt Dyno" at the moment, I am well pleased with both the sound and performance. CLICKY (the rattle is the camera mount   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

StuM

Darn it Les, every time I convince myself that I can live without a new exhaust, you go and post this up again   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "damonlaw88"
Quote from: "craig_tf"For the best sounding exhaust go for Janspeed and you get a downpipe with sports cat included   s:D :D s:D

+1 My friends roadster sounds incredibly loud with the CHE manifold and Janspeed.
Matt - It depends on what of style you would like for your MR2. I personally love the Jap Can one's like Kakimoto, 5 Zigen, Blitz Nur Spec S and Apexi N1.
Something like the pic below.

Agree I like the Jap looking cans like my own, 5-Zigen Pro Racer:

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "Les"If you intend improving the exhaust system and getting a unichip, don't forget to add a re-map into the equation.

As said before, I already had a unichip, then had the Cobra quad pipes fitted, the gains that the chip offered were lost as soon as the new system was fitted and I'm sure a remap would have improved things.  
i eventually I sold the unichip and (after nearly melting my cat) went down the road of Che header and sports cat in conjunction with the quad, although I can only vouch by the experience of my "Butt Dyno" at the moment, I am well pleased with both the sound and performance. CLICKY (the rattle is the camera mount   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

i Like the idea of what your sayin because i was thinking about a new header and full system but i was also talking about getting it chipped. so do you think it would be wise to purchase a unichip and would i be able to map it because i have been told that there are only two maps on the US version and iv not heard of someone remapping them. i am thinking of getting it chipped but am not sure or not up to date on remapping and what not. so i dont even know if it is beneficial or even if it is dangerous for the engine

roger

Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"i Like the idea of what your sayin because i was thinking about a new header and full system but i was also talking about getting it chipped. so do you think it would be wise to purchase a unichip and would i be able to map it because i have been told that there are only two maps on the US version and iv not heard of someone remapping them. i am thinking of getting it chipped but am not sure or not up to date on remapping and what not. so i dont even know if it is beneficial or even if it is dangerous for the engine

"You" don't remap - you go to somebody who can. Cost at least £200 +. TBH all a map is is a set of instructions. A remap can either be a totally new map or an existing one tweaked. I bought my Unichip from USA without maps (cheaper), but then got it mapped to my car. Worked out more in the end, but less than the cost of the US maps.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"i Like the idea of what your sayin because i was thinking about a new header and full system but i was also talking about getting it chipped. so do you think it would be wise to purchase a unichip and would i be able to map it because i have been told that there are only two maps on the US version and iv not heard of someone remapping them. i am thinking of getting it chipped but am not sure or not up to date on remapping and what not. so i dont even know if it is beneficial or even if it is dangerous for the engine

"You" don't remap - you go to somebody who can. Cost at least £200 +. TBH all a map is is a set of instructions. A remap can either be a totally new map or an existing one tweaked. I bought my Unichip from USA without maps (cheaper), but then got it mapped to my car. Worked out more in the end, but less than the cost of the US maps.

sorry thats what i ment. so if i got the chip unmapped, got the mods i was thinking off first then take it to be mapped to my car specfically, with mods as part of the map it would be running at its fullest potential? obviously beforei do more mods

SimonC_Here

yep, do your mods then get mapped.

roger

If you buy a s/h Unichip it should already have a map on it. This will usually work perfectly OK and you will more than likely show some benefit. But it is very unlikely that it will suit your car absolutely. That's where a remap comes in.

BTW, don't buy any old Unichip off Ebay. They are linked to the make/model. So much easier also if you get one from here with the harness, so there is no wire cutting - really plug 'n play. Otherwise its buying new at a much greater cost.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

manchestermatt1986

Iv done abit more research now and thinking of getting rid of my percats and getting either a zero manifold or h&s manifold, but along with either a cobra quad exit or h & s exit. iv looked into ppe headers but they are a little pricy for me, also been looking at the forum about the db levels of the exhausts. do you know if i had a H & S fitted would they be abe to give me a quad exit as i prefer the look?

Tags: