engine bliping on SMG changes

Started by Anonymous, March 24, 2009, 07:48

Anonymous

I have a 6 speed SMG and when I change down the engine blips as I change. I know this is normal so here is my question. When I change down and the RPM's are over approx 2200 RPM the engine does blip however if I change down and the RPM's before the change are lower than 2200 the engine does not blip. It changes down fine but the engine does not rev slightly as it makes the change down.
Is this normal with the SMG
Aussie

filcee

That's how mine works too.  I've always thought that the gearbox controller is programmed not to 'blip' below a certain RPM. This can catch you and the gearbox out from time to time - e.g. over here when approaching a roundabout and expecting to stop at the give way line, I'll change down to second gear and watch the traffic.  As the revs die down, the blipping doesn't happen.  If I then spot a gap that I can pull into, I'll get back on the gas to pull into the traffic.  If the revs have died below the 'blip' point, then the gearbox re-engages with a thump to put the drive down to the wheels.  It feels very inelegant when that happens, and the pulling away is less smooth and more 'kangaroo'  :-) :-) :-)

And as I write this, I wonder if there's a point programmed where the clutch is simply disengaged as you slow down and go down through the gears?  This would remove the need to match engine and road speed, as the clutch and drive train would not be re-engaged as you come to a stop so no need to blip ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: