Workshop Manual

Started by tom_deas, March 30, 2009, 19:41

DannyN

I'm sorry but I think Markiii has done enough for this club without having to repeat it all twice and on paper as well  !!
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

I think Mark should be the judge of that.

cclarke99

Before anyone gets too excited about copyright and so on, don't forget as soon as you place stuff in the public domain like this, you've lost control of it. At least the author of this proposal decided to tell people of it. He could have just gone ahead, ripped it off, packaged and sold it on ebay and no one could do anything about it. For all we know garages may look at this and other forums whenever they get a problem, then charge for their expertise. If anyone thinks that what they know is actaully worth money, don't waste it here - try and market it instead, then you'll see how much it's really worth

markiii

Quote from: "cclarke99"Before anyone gets too excited about copyright and so on, don't forget as soon as you place stuff in the public domain like this, you've lost control of it. At least the author of this proposal decided to tell people of it. He could have just gone ahead, ripped it off, packaged and sold it on ebay and no one could do anything about it. For all we know garages may look at this and other forums whenever they get a problem, then charge for their expertise. If anyone thinks that what they know is actaully worth money, don't waste it here - try and market it instead, then you'll see how much it's really worth

copyright and ethics are 2 different things
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "sandstrain"I think Mark should be the judge of that.

time and inclination, and tbh I have neither at the moment
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DannyN

Quote from: "DannyN"I'm sorry but I think Markiii has done enough for this club without having to repeat it all twice and on paper as well  !!
Quote from: "sandstrain"I think Mark should be the judge of that.

Your wrong, they were my thoughts (and probably the thoughts of most people that I know through this club who are reading this thread) on the matter of increasing Markiii's workload for the club to help create a manual, which in all honesty and with the best intention is going to be a non-starter.

Where as what you wrote could be seen as to put Markiii in an awkward position - something I dont like to do to people in the public domain.
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Danny / Mark, no offence or pressure was intended. Just that Tom's idea is not as stupid as it first may appear. An edited, collated, publication of some of the material on here would be a marketable proposition even if at cost (my opinion). The 2 is no longer in production (as we all know) so through time Mr T will become less and less aware of solutions.
Much of the stuff on here relates to common problems and the members have come up with pragmatic solutions that work.
Mark is rightly concerned with the technical accuracy of material published (my interpretation, I may be wrong) but my point is that if the proven material already available works then technical ability is less of a problem.
My view was that if technical issues were a problem then pass them by people like Mark who probably have actually done the job.
This sort of stuff can actually be produced to order so your'e not talking about stock investment.
Somebody from one of the clubs will at some point do something like this for profit and good luck to them; me, I'll probably do it for myself at some point.

cclarke99

Quotecopyright and ethics are 2 different things

I agree the law and ethics are different. What I was saying was that what was proposed was not illegal; as the material is in the public domain it is not copyright - if it is who owns it? That leaves ethics. If someone is willing to take the time and trouble to collect the data, organise it and publish it as a book, at his own expense and risk (if it doesn't sell, he'll loose money), and has stated that intention before starting, that doesn't seem unethical to me.

As far as the production goes, why not put it on a CD - cheaper to post and minimal up-front cost. If it sells or there seems to be a demand, then add a paper version later

Tags: