Future survival rates of roadsters

Started by widermuller, April 22, 2009, 00:08

widermuller

This has been going around in my head for a while...

Is the membership alarmed at the scrapping rate of roadsters (on ebay anyway) and them being converted to italian supercar clones?

I would imagine most people on here want to keep their mr2 looking like one, but I have read that even supercar manufacturers ( the one begining with 'F'  ) are actually considering downsizing their cars to something not much bigger than an mr2! Which would mean, our little roadster would be more of a target for kitcar manufacturers! (Future kits based on).

The only advantage I could see from this It would keep prices of the cars slightly higher when offered for sale/ offered for conversion. Rather than going to complete 'banger' status, before values again rise when the car becomes a classic. I know you can't save every car! And we need spares, I know this, having dabbled with classics for about 20 years before moving on to japanese motors. However, looking forward 10-15 years time, they are already a car built in low volumes compared to euro boxes. Think how many might be left?
Swaps owners, as much as it swaps ends!

Widermuller for hvac knobs, gearstick cage mounts, interior door pull kits in carbon or chrome! and much much more! Detailing our speciality!

alancdavis

As far as mine is concerned,,,,,,,Once a 2 always a 2 ..........  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Wabbitkilla

Good point there.

Remembering the even a downsized F will have an F sized price tag!
I cringe to think of all the awful kitcars are based on Mmidgets and the likes. I liked the original thankyou very much.

I'll always keep my 2 as close to being the 2 as possible. Don't like body kits as the 2 has such an appealing form anyway imho. But some people will always want to make a car into something it's not, that's why we're all individual.

I'm just saddened that there is simply nothing on the market remotely approaching what the 2 represents.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Ilogik

lotus elise is probably the closest thing i would compare to a mk3, both mid engined, rear wheel drive, not very practicle, light weight. Both have the shitty 1zz  s:P :P s:P .

But the elise does not come under the same group so probably say Mx-5?

As for the survival rate, most people on forums tend to look after the cars properly. Whilst the ones I see on ebay, seem to be sold by people who don't understand sports cars, and some of them are really in a right state, badly services ect, treated like normal road cars.

Best is when i emailed a guy about a hard top and they argued that there was no fitting kit, that the hard top basically went straight on, eventually i had to send him the pdf with the fitting gude lol.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

NickNJ

The more that are scrapped, the greater residual values become.

The s1 Elise is getting more scarse by the day, to the point where prices will start to rise while the later elises will continue to drop.
Black MR2 Roadster

alancdavis

I long for the day when mine is old and does not need to pay tax,,  s:D :D s:D
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

Quote from: "alancdavis"I long for the day when mine is old and does not need to pay tax,,  s:D :D s:D

Nice thought, but it will not happen, unless its was made pre 1973.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It's always a concern with regard to survival, the Spitfire is a good example, used and abused for many a kit car / mod, the thing is now to find an original one is near on impossible.

I think the next 3 /4 years will see off a few MR2 especially when it comes to keeping them on the road, after which we will go through the modding stage, then the originals will come back into favour, in about about 8 / 10 years.

I must admit I will probably moth ball mine in about 2 / 3 years time.

Rob.

roger

Quote from: "FGRob"I must admit I will probably moth ball mine in about 2 / 3 years time.

..... after I've taken it to bits to grease, repaint and generally make sure it's like new (yet again)    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "FGRob"I must admit I will probably moth ball mine in about 2 / 3 years time.

..... after I've taken it to bits to grease, repaint and generally make sure it's like new (yet again)    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Hey we'll have less of that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  but yes you know me to well  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

widermuller

Thank you for all your comments.....

Personally I think the threat from kitcar manufactures is very real, and it something elise and mx5 owners don't have to put up with, in the case of an elise its worth more, so why not base a kit on an mr2? Mx5, although cheap and plentyful don't have the same 'base platform monoque' as the mr2 has, which lends itself to clad over panels.
more kits will be based I fear.....

Although the roadster has some great reviews, its still a car that can quite easily slip from the general publics mind, Take the Celica gt4, its now the 'forgotton' rally car, most people would remember Cosworth and intergrale. To combat this the profile and club representation would have to be high at major shows.

This is a rare car anyway on Britians roads, when you consider more expensive machinery such as Audi tt and porsche boxter, out sold it 2 to 1, god only knows how many mx5's.

At the moment this club is I would imagine is growing in membership, due to the early cars now being so affordable for younger people, seeking answers on ownership. And post 03 cars finding their 2nd or 3rd owner, the last ones are at present not that old! However, make hay while the sun shines.... I could forsee levels as low as 500- 1000 members in the uk, in 15-20 years time, this does not mean there would be 'only' 500-1000 cars after all some people never join car clubs, just 500-1000 active members with cars.
Values I agree, the more come off the road in principle the more its worth, but when the car becomes a 'classic' clubs are there to promote use, going to car shows, and keeping members cars on the road, as well as trying to get cars restored to return back on the road by promoting such cars at shows, that a show goer thinks 'i'll get one of those'.

Widermuller for hvac knobs, gearstick cage mounts, interior door pull kits in carbon or chrome! and much much more! Detailing our speciality!

philster_d

Its optimistic to expect a lot of future kits and developments for the roadster. The reality is far more that the people who did do stuff are winding down and withdrawing their offerings (probably as the 2 is no longer in production I suppose)

EG turbo kits there were several now there are almost no options.

widermuller

Morning...  I was thinking more in terms of bodykits that turn the car into an italian supercar clone, the amount of panels which have been availible recently ebay is staggering. Either the cars are being broken, or turned into the clone, the same panels are being sold by diffrent vendors, some are selling all the outer panels so the car could'nt have been in an accident.

loadswine

There haven't been too many clones made from the Roadster so far and I don't see too many being done really. The Mk2 doesn't seem to have suffered much in that regard and the kits have been around for a long time now. A lot of cars will make it through to classic status I am sure,  they will be unmolested for all sorts of reasons, and that is excellent as it suits the vast majority of the ownership.
 I doubt that too many out there will have  sacriligeous engine conversions and bodykits like mine.( It wasn't anywhere near stock when I bought it)
I just hope folks manage to get out there and have fun in their 2s, as that is what they were really designed to do.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: