going to view an mr2...

Started by Anonymous, April 23, 2009, 16:16

Silverman

Quote from: "cclarke99"Those quoting low prices are all out of date - all this lovely sunny weather has had the usual effect and 03 trade examples are now £5900-£7500 on Autotrader and on ebay an '03 went for £6500 2 weeks ago. However bubbling paint = shoddy accident repair and damaged hood = big bill so I'd avoid it. Without wishing to offend, steer clear of modified cars. Autotrader is a good place to find cars. I don't know where you live but there are 18 cars advertised between £5K and £7k within 60 miles of my address, plenty of choice to pick a good one

Well said, Sir.   Another man with his feet firmly planted on the Earth.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

markiii

what your saying is I shouldn;t have sold mine in February then  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

Quote from: "Silverman"
Quote from: "cclarke99"Those quoting low prices are all out of date - all this lovely sunny weather has had the usual effect and 03 trade examples are now £5900-£7500 on Autotrader and on ebay an '03 went for £6500 2 weeks ago. However bubbling paint = shoddy accident repair and damaged hood = big bill so I'd avoid it. Without wishing to offend, steer clear of modified cars. Autotrader is a good place to find cars. I don't know where you live but there are 18 cars advertised between £5K and £7k within 60 miles of my address, plenty of choice to pick a good one

So your telling me you wouldn't of taken the car with the TTE parts over a stock one over the same price  s:P :P s:P

As for modded cars they are not that costly to insure depending on what is done of course. I pay 700 fully comp with all the recent mods.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

markiii

Quote from: "Ilogik"
Quote from: "Silverman"

So your telling me you wouldn't of taken the car with the TTE parts over a stock one over the same price  s:P :P s:P

As for modded cars they are not that costly to insure depending on what is done of course. I pay 700 fully comp with all the recent mods.

I would, you would,

some people just want a nice stock immaculate car, that they don;t need to demod or play with

and their still persists the imnage of modded cars having been thrashed
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

True, about the worry of thrashing them, you tracked your old tubby, but you looked after it at the same time. You can usually tell by the quality of mods and extra's to determine a rubbish modded car lol.

Anyways this is nice 03, green, 25k 5.5k.

m http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=03 m

and an 04 Green similair price
 m http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=04 m

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "Silverman"Well said, Sir.   Another man with his feet firmly planted on the Earth.

I would, you would,

some people just want a nice stock immaculate car, that they don;t need to demod or play with

Silverman

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "Silverman"Well said, Sir.   Another man with his feet firmly planted on the Earth.

I would, you would,

I put the TTE bits on a bog standard car.  I then had to get a letter from Toyota to convince my insurer that the TTE twin sports exhaust did not enhance performance.  Even disconnecting the wretched reverse gear bleeper can be of interest to insurers!
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"So your telling me you wouldn't of taken the car with the TTE parts over a stock one over the same price  s:P :P s:P

That is the whole point, mods do not add value.

Silverman

And, before I am rumbled,
                                let me say that I have a pretty immac (ie. no non TTE mods) 19K miles/04 Roadster on offer right now for between £7600 and £8000, depending on deal detail.    S'man.

markiii

and it id pretty immaculate at that

Anonymous

you guys are fab!!!!! thanks so much  s:) :) s:)

i'm really fussy when it comes to cars, it's gotta have leather and a hard top so this was the reason I haven't gone for the red one that's advertised on here.

I'm not bothered about the facelift model, I actually think the pre-facelift look nicer from the front!

I've been looking for an MR2 for well over a month now and really can't find one that meets my needs!!!  s:( :( s:(  

Ideally I want...

2002+
Red with leather, Black with red leather or Silver with red leather
Manual
under 50k mileage
Hardtop
Service History
12 months MOT
Will spend anything up to £6000

...it's just impossible to find!!!

Anni

Ilogik

LoL i have seen loads, where are you from? you could possibly ask a member on here to check out cars if they are to far.

Anonymous

I live in Lancashire, postcode is BB1   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting m

i really like that! shame no hard top though - are they hard to come by? and would 5k be a fair price for that as surely 6 is too high??

Ilogik

Looks nice but its not leather and no hard top. Ill have a scan, how far are you willing to travel.

Ilogik

Check here, Pistonheads.com, ebay, autotrader, Imoc.co.uk, Mr2oc.co.uk Toyota Drivers club to?

Anonymous

ta for your help  s:) :) s:)

i'm willing to travel anywhere if it's worth it! i've been looking on autotrader, pistonheads, here about 10 times a day for the past 6 wks  s:( :( s:(

i'm thinking maybe it'd be an idea to buy cheap and then have 1500-2000 left to then buy a hard top etc after? ie this -  m http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=52 m

but hasnt that got a facelift back?!!

SimonC_Here

Hardtops and fitting kits can be had for around £400 - £600 depending on colour and fitting kit.

It's also not got a manual box!
I would say it's a 2002 where the owner has upgrades the rear lights, side vents, and rear bumper as well as adding the spoiler.

I think it's got a 2003+ exhaust on it as well which is a bit weird.

Also it used to have a hardtop which I see isn't listed.

Anonymous

Hmm..also seems cheap too for a 52 plate with low mileage!

aaah... the search continues... s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Anni, go post facelift if you can, less chance of precat/oval bore problems as the engine internals were beefed up. Also better bracing as well as the cosmetic changes.
A hardtop with fitting kit used is about £500-600 and you could get your seats recovered for about £400.
I know you have certain colours in mind, but you could easily be passing up a superior car because of the colour.
Silverman's car springs to mind here, owned by a club member so the history is easily verified, plus tte mods are tasteful and fairly insurance friendly.

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I haven't got 7600-8000k though or else I would consider it!!  s:( :( s:(

Silverman

Quote from: Anniyou guys are fab!!!!! thanks so much  s:) :) s:)

i'm really fussy when it comes to cars, it's gotta have leather and a hard top so this was the reason I haven't gone for the red one that's advertised on here.

I'm not bothered about the facelift model, I actually think the pre-facelift look nicer from the front!

I've been looking for an MR2 for well over a month now and really can't find one that meets my needs!!!  s:( :( s:(  

Ideally I want...

2002+
Red with leather, Black with red leather or Silver with red leather
Manual
under 50k mileage
Hardtop
Service History
12 months MOT
Will spend anything up to £6000

...it's just impossible to find!!!

Anni

Hi Anni,  If you look at the list of improvements which came with the facelift (must be on here somewhere) you might change your mind?!  S'man.   s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)

cclarke99

2002 with hardtop, fsh and full MOT will be hard to find for under £6000, certainly from a dealer. Because no new cars have been sold for 6 months, used prices ahve started to increase, by up to 10% so they say. I'd go for an older car in good condition.

Silverman

Anni,
         Can you garage a sports car at night/when you're off duty?   I ask this because a damaged ragtop is tres expensive (£2500??) to replace on a Roadster.  Sorry to add to your problem solving exercise but better to consider such things now.  S'man.    s:( :( s:(

Silverman

I've found it!!  Have a look at (SEARCH) Evolution of the Mk3 MR2, changes by model year.

spit

Quote from: "Anni"ie this -  m http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=52 m

but hasnt that got a facelift back?!!

It is a true facelift Anni, but that is because it is import MR-S from Japan. They were 'lifted' in 2002. If Insurance is a worry, you'll want to factor that cost in aswell - the imports are a group higher on insurance and you may need to throw in a Thatcham-approved immobiliser to comply with requirements (only 150 quid or so).
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: