More Power, little money

Started by Anonymous, February 9, 2004, 13:44

Anonymous

I love my 2, but just had a m8's nissan 300zx for the weekend and then when I got back in my 2 I felt like I was crawling.

This topic has probably been covered before, but were can I get filter charger for my 2, looking to buy off the web. Will a superchip mess up the vvti ? Dont want to go down the turbo route but want some more power without spending all my pay.

J80 RJO

markiii

filtercharger?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

You know mun, probably old school but K+n's have always been known as filter charges or is it my welsh spelling that you dont understand

lol

Anonymous

that'll be a K&N air filter, I guess.

Anonymous

m http://www.knfilters.com/ m

The 1st page calls the filter chargers anyway,

you guys trying to make me look like a prick cos its my 1st time on here ?

markiii

aha,

in short, an induction kit will give you noise, but little in teh way of power.

A replacement filter may do, see  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2468 m  for discussion, though I'm sure other can reccomend where to buy from.

For my money (personal opinion no guarantees and all that) a bigger improvement would come from this

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2459 m
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

thanks

markiii

ref chips, I'd avoid superchips, nut the unichip is good

I'd recommend a search though because there is reams of stuff.

Anonymous

Your post

If the noise is all you are after there is a FREE yes FREE way of obtaining this. Feeding into the stock airbox is a tapered elbow shaped plastic tube. Remove this and marvel at your induction roar.

Will this effect anything as im sure its put there to do something ?

So doing the above and just replacing the filter may give you better sound plus a few bhp ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "j80rjo"Will this effect anything as im sure its put there to do something ?

So doing the above and just replacing the filter may give you better sound plus a few bhp ?

There's two problems with it that I can see:

1)  You're sucking in warm air, rather than cool air... warm air has a lower density, less oxygen per volume sucked in... less oxygen = less power.

2) The air you suck in is a bit more dirty, so the filter needs cleaning/replacing more often.

Chances are that if you replace the filter with a K&N or similar, that the gains made by the filter will be negated by the warmer air being sucked in.

But it'll sound nice.

Anonymous

So if I want to increase a bit of bhp im better off just getting a 57i or equiv

SteveJ

Quote from: "j80rjo"Your post

If the noise is all you are after there is a FREE yes FREE way of obtaining this. Feeding into the stock airbox is a tapered elbow shaped plastic tube. Remove this and marvel at your induction roar.

Allready widely done within the club - it's my party trick at all of the meets. Anyone arriving with the elbow in place is not allowed to leave with it  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Ref. affecting anything, the only problem as the moment is an increase in intake temp (typically 30degrees above ambient), but markiii has a group buy in progress for a replacement elbow from H&S - http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2494

SteveJ

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "j80rjo"Will this effect anything as im sure its put there to do something ?

There's two problems with it that I can see:

1)  You're sucking in warm air, rather than cool air... warm air has a lower density, less oxygen per volume sucked in... less oxygen = less power.

2) The air you suck in is a bit more dirty, so the filter needs cleaning/replacing more often.

Chances are that if you replace the filter with a K&N or similar, that the gains made by the filter will be negated by the warmer air being sucked in.

But it'll sound nice.

1) Correct - the air is some 30 degrees hotter (taken from the MAF temp sensor via pocketlogger

2) Why is it dirtier? The stock intake feeds from behind the battery - the same air that you are getting without the elbow, only it's a bit cooler

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"2) Why is it dirtier? The stock intake feeds from behind the battery - the same air that you are getting without the elbow, only it's a bit cooler

My thinking here, is that as it's behind the wheels, rather than in front of, it's possible that more dust and dirt will get kicked up and sucked in.

Both of the above were just me thinking out-loud though, so I'm happy to be wrong.

markiii

Quote from: "j80rjo"So if I want to increase a bit of bhp im better off just getting a 57i or equiv

If you believ that this gives you BHP then yes.

So far no-one has really proved a bhp increase using an induction kit on the roadster.

removing the elbo, or fitteing the 57i will make much the same noise and much the same power. Both have the same disadvantages, one costs nothing, one costs £150 ish if memory serves me.

aaronjb

Or theres this - http://www.ppeengineering.com/mr2intake.htm, but it's not cheap..

I'm with Mark - knocking the elbow off or putting a 57i on will give you a nice noise, but most likely less power..

Putting Mark's elbow on the stock filter box should give you a nicer noise, and perhaps a little power, but no loss..

The PPE should give you more power and perhaps a nicer noise too, but at a price.. (and thats only assuming their Dyno figures are right)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

So were abouts is this elbo found ?

You sure this wont make me car a bit sick and a bit slower ?

markiii

the elobow sits behind the left rear light cluster. it connects into the airbox.

airflow will improve but the air will warmer. One should negate the other. See th thread linked above for pics.

Anonymous

So if you remove the thingy, add a repacement filter a good one, bhp will stay the same but sound will be better. A 57i will probably have no better a result than the latter ?

markiii

removing the elbow, increases airflow but heats it up, net gain no power increase or loss, increase in noise

if you do the above but add a replacement airfilter you may see a gain.

57i i unlikely to have a gain as it will improve airflow but again it will be hotter air.

GSB

J80rjo,

Have a closer read through the link that markiii posted earlier, as if you read it more carefuly it shows exactly where the elbow in question is...

As stock this elbow is restricted, the item markii is offering is a stainless steel replacement that allows you to utilise the stock air intake without any restriction. Any other method just sounds good and generally makes less power.

As for induction kits, there is no induction kit available as yet, including K&N's efforts, that makes any improvement over the stock system. Put simply this is due to aerodynamics. Making an induction kit work on a front engine car is a doddle, theres high pressure zones with plenty of airflow available all over the place, so its a fairly simple matter to locate a filter in a position where its fed as much cool air as it can handle. Simply by being a free flowing design, you should see an improvement.

ON the MR2, with the engine in the back, cocooned in a low pressure zone with minimal airflow, its very hard to get cool air into the engine bay, and as yet no-one has managed to better the stock way of doing things. PPE claim they've cracked it, but at the price they are charging I'll wait for independant proof as those sort of power increases can be had by changing a dirty filter...

PS, regarding this:
Quote from: "j80rjo"you guys trying to make me look like a prick cos its my 1st time on here ?

In general if people are going to be made to look like pricks on here they do all the hard work themselves. So, if it seems as if people arent being as helpful as they could be, its usually because the subject has been discussed to death. Have a search around and you'll find a dozen threads on this subject, most of them pretty recent...

What we prefer to do with newcomers is this:...

"Welcome to the club...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  "
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks I get the big F**k of hint, im new to computers and not sure how to work my way around the sites yet. took me 10mins to write this. Not the above just the word "this"

Ill look next time,

SORRY

Anonymous

Welcome to the club. We are all a friendly bunch.

My only words of wisdom are its very difficult to tell the tone of peoples posts sometimes until you get to know them.  Noone here tried to make you look stupid, they were offering advice, and as you get to know them you will find that a large % of people in the club are VERY knowledgeable.

Enjoy the club, and your 2.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: