Keyless entry?

Started by Anonymous, June 23, 2003, 17:17

Anonymous

This may have been answered elsewhere but I've read (mainly from spyderchat owners) there is a keyless entry for the MR

In the UK spec car, do we just get 2 keys with the lock/unlock buttons on the fob that just activates the alarm/interior sensor?

I've read the MR checklist but this mentions 2 normal keys plus valet key and 2 remotes....is this only valid for the US spec?

Anonymous

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but here goes...

The UK car comes with two keys with built in 'blipper' (for want of a better word) for activating the central locking and alarm remotely.

Hope that helps.

--H--

Chris

I don't think so, as with both of my new uk 2's (2002 and 2003), I have got 3 keys - 1 small grey valet key and two normal black keys, with the lock/unlock buttons.

You should be able to use one of the black keys to unlock the car and open the door without putting the key in the door - or is that not what you mean by keyless entry?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I guess the keyless entry ie unlocking the doors if you get close enough to the car is a US feature, unless I've been reading false info or making things up

Anonymous

Quote from: "elfin"I guess the keyless entry ie unlocking the doors if you get close enough to the car is a US feature, unless I've been reading false info or making things up
No, in the US "keyless entry" is what we call "remote central locking", i.e. using the key/'blipper'.  They (I mean Spyderchatters) go on about this so much because it was not standard on pre '03 cars like it was over here.

--H--

Chris

Well, as standard you can open the doors by pressing the unlock button on the key if you are close to the car (but i get you know that    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), so if you mean that just by walking near the car (without doing anything with a key) it opens, then I would guess that it's some trick 3rd party alarm system, maybe clifford?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"
Quote from: "elfin"I guess the keyless entry ie unlocking the doors if you get close enough to the car is a US feature, unless I've been reading false info or making things up
No, in the US "keyless entry" is what we call "remote central locking", i.e. using the key/'blipper'.  They (I mean Spyderchatters) go on about this so much because it was not standard on pre '03 cars like it was over here.

--H--

OH RIGHT!!
Those american terms are kinda confusing when you (I) think about it

zud

And the valet key (I believe) will open doors, but not the glovebox and luggage bins.  
e.g.  you can leave those locked when the car's in for a service (and then the dealer can ring you up and ask for the wheel-nut key that's locked in the glove box!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

I found this all rather vague when I was looking for my '2.  All the toyota used cars said "central locking", but nothing about remote central locking.  You do get what you're after though, they're just a bit vague about it.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "elfin"This may have been answered elsewhere but I've read (mainly from spyderchat owners) there is a keyless entry for the MR

You have keyless entry. Basically you don't need to put your key in the lock to open it.

As for keys, as mentioned elsewhere, you should have three. Two black, with the remote control, and one a simple grey get, without a remote.

My ideal key would be like the Renault Laguna. For those that haven't seen it, it is like a battery powered credit card. Just press a button to unlock you car, get in, put the card in a slot and press the "engine start" button. Sweet. However, I would like to add to this to the "key":
1) O/S and N/S Door open buttons (just press the button and the door opens a couple of inches....no handles, looks good and less drag!!)
2) Auto window up button
3) Engine start button

So simple and on something the size of a credit card. No more keys. No more lost keys. No more worrying ablut loosing your keys and having someone copy them. It, presumably, would be harder ho hot-wire as there would be no ignition barrel.

Peter

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "elfin"This may have been answered elsewhere but I've read (mainly from spyderchat owners) there is a keyless entry for the MR

You have keyless entry. Basically you don't need to put your key in the lock to open it.

1) O/S and N/S Door open buttons (just press the button and the door opens a couple of inches....no handles, looks good and less drag!!)
Peter

Hey mate, i can get you a kit that will do this for you, about £100.

Drop me a line and i'll get some pictures off to you.

Cheers

Tags: