few newb questions!

Started by Anonymous, June 29, 2009, 21:14

Anonymous

first of all hi! i just signed up!

ive got a yaris t sport atm, but i really want to change to a mr2 - and after the priceless resource the yaris owners club turned out to be; here i am  s:D :D s:D

sorry to annoy so soon but ive a few questions that i really needa no answers to before i decide whether to buy or not!

anyway here they are!

1) what does spyder mean?? lol i looked it up on wikipedia and i searched the forums here but theres only references to it on here that i cud see! on wiki it says that its just another way of saying roadster, is that right?? so it doesnt really mean anything in terms of another trim level / body style etc?

2) this bodykit:

anyone have it? any good?

3) the main issue in the mr2 - storage, is there ANY way to expand it some?? i read that a guy took his spare out and kept holts tyre weld in the car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

4) what is a good price for a standard 6 speed with AC and hard top? any colour? (leather seats too preferably but not essential! i know quite an open ended question but just want an idea ive looked on AT, pistonheads etc and the prices vary a lot). and how much extra would i pay for one that has a bodykit like the one in the picture above on it?

5) is the car a nightmare on speed bumps? we have absolute mountains of speed bumps at uni  s:( :( s:(

think thats everything... for now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

thanks in advance

Anonymous

1. It's what the US guys call the mk3 over there. No difference other than that.
2. It's frickin' ugly.
3. Not really, but you learn to live around it. Take the spare out if you wish, but you'll understeer into a bush and I would never trust that horrible tyre foam gunk.
4. About £6-7K for the right car I guess, depending on year and mileage. Kitted shouldn't be any more really, and if it's the kit above I'd pay a lot less  s;) ;) s;)
5. No issues on a standard car, lowered or not. Ugly bodykits may not be the same though.

Welcome along!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

ah right i c!

whaaaat how can you not love that kit lol (tho i fell in love with the car before i saw it!)

and thanks  s:D :D s:D  am i the youngest member on here? (19) lol

JudoKilli

Quote from: "djbenny1"ah right i c!

whaaaat how can you not love that kit lol (though i fell in love with the car before i saw it!)

and thanks  s:D :D s:D  am i the youngest member on here? (19) lol

The only thing I like about that kit is the front, otherwise is too messy for me.

There was another 19 year old that posted a while back with a MR2 'Red' edition. Word of warning though, if you've been on parents insurance or have don't have a no claims bonus, insurance is going to be very hefty. I'm 20 and paying A LOT in the hope that when the next birthday rolls around the price will drop a tad.

Also, price depends on age, and time you buy it a little. I got a 2003 facelift model for £5,400, but that was a stonking deal, but you can pick up older ones for a lot less. Expect £6k for a 2003, especially in this 'heatwave'. If your willing to go older, a 00/01 can be had for ~ £3k.

Anonymous

thanks for the info judo!

ive checked insuranc tho ive had my own policy since i passed my test 6 weeks after my 17th lol, so this year (im 3 months into my years policy on the t sport which is group 7 insurance) my insurance wud have been bout 1500 for mr2, which i can live with, its about 1300 for the yaris fully comp lol

also what exactly are the differences between the older ones and the newer ones? (i mean was there a facelift at some stage) but tbh ill likely get an older one for around 4k but i really wanted a 6 speed gearbox  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Good god man, go and drive a cheaper car and then move up in a few years! No way on earth would I consider paying £1500 for insurance on anything now, let alone an MR2 when you're not even 20 yet   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

lol

its not that expensive considering im already paying 1300!

my first car was a 1.2 clio and even it cost 1200 my first year and that was only TPF+T lol

that 1500 zone is my mark for insurance tho lol

toyotasi

Hey!
Im 19 with a MR2 Red Edition, the looks you get stepping out of a mr2 at a petrol station at the age of 19 is quite funny   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  either they think you have stole it or are driving your parents car!
Ill let other members comment on the differences of the models but all I can say is that the Red Edition put another £500 onto my insurance from the quote of a standard mr2   s:o :o s:o
Hope you get one, best car I have owned!

Anonymous

Quote from: "djbenny1"lol

its not that expensive considering Im already paying 1300!

my first car was a 1.2 clio and even it cost 1200 my first year and that was only TPF+T lol

that 1500 zone is my mark for insurance though lol
That's proper insane. I was only paying £600 for a brand-new Focus back in 2001 when I had passed my test just 2 months previous (albeit I was 21 at the time).

Quote from: "toyotasi"the Red Edition put another £500 onto my insurance from the quote of a standard mr2   s:o :o s:o
And you paid it? Sorry, but that's just stupid. For a bit of red that's not a sensible price at all. I'd have changed insurers/cars before paying that amount.

Anonymous

Lol, £500 pounds extra for a different coloured hood.

JudoKilli

Quote from: "toyotasi"Hey!
Im 19 with a MR2 Red Edition.

There we go, it was you I was talking about in my earlier post   s8) 8) s8)  Forgot your user name.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Quote from: "toyotasi"the looks you get stepping out of a mr2 at a petrol station at the age of 19 is quite funny   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  either they think you have stole it or are driving your parents car!

I can second that , having only turned twenty two months ago I get a few double takes from cops, and a lot of people asking me how old I am and if it's mine, which is strange. I do however feel very privileged and lucky to be driving such a great car at such a young age, I mean how many other 19/20 year olds can say they drive a mid engine, rear wheel drive sports car!   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Quote from: "toyotasi"Ill let other members comment on the differences of the models but all I can say is that the Red Edition put another £500 onto my insurance from the quote of a standard mr2   s:o :o s:o
Hope you get one, best car I have owned!

I'm paying just over a grand for insurance, but with a very large excess, no NCB, but it's worth every penny.

There was a facelift in 2003 (April I think), the main differences are the rear bumpers, front foglaights and seats. I can't think of any others, but I haven't been here for very long, so I'll let some of the wiser members add to the list   s:D :D s:D

JudoKilli

Quote from: "Dan M"
Quote from: "djbenny1"lol

its not that expensive considering Im already paying 1300!

that 1500 zone is my mark for insurance though lol
That's proper insane. I was only paying £600 for a brand-new Focus back in 2001 when I had passed my test just 2 months previous (albeit I was 21 at the time).

Quote from: "toyotasi"the Red Edition put another £500 onto my insurance from the quote of a standard mr2   s:o :o s:o
And you paid it? Sorry, but that's just stupid. For a bit of red that's not a sensible price at all. I'd have changed insurers/cars before paying that amount.

I'm still paying £600 a year for a '97 Mitsubishi Colt 1.6 ( I really should cancel that   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and I've had that same price since I passed at 17.

EDIT: And sorry for the double post...didn't realise others had posted while I was writing.

Anonymous

QuoteThat's proper insane. I was only paying £600 for a brand-new Focus back in 2001 when I had passed my test just 2 months previous (albeit I was 21 at the time).

21 is the age it drops wayyyy down though, theres a big diff between 20 and 21 (at least here anyway not sure if france is same [assuming u from france cos of ur sig lol])

heres a good one, i just got another quote, i LOWERED the voluntary excess from 500 to 0 (yes zero) and it knocked 80 quid off the price lol
the compulsory excess is still 550 as it was for when i put 500 voluntary, but i dont intend on crashing!

nice si lol, i get a lot of looks in my t sport truth be told lol

but if im honest the biggest attraction (theres loads of reasons i want the mr2 tho!) are the seats lol, never sat in one bu they look amazin!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

many miles do u guys get from a tank? or average MPG if u dont know

and judo who r u insured with?? are u fully comp??

JudoKilli

I was reading the info pack thingy you get with the car today, I think something like 34/35 MPG on combined cycle.

I'm with admiral, fully comp, everything extra, high excess, but both my parents are down as secondary drivers (which lowered the price about £120   s:? :? s:?  )

By the way, what university are you studying at?

Anonymous

hmm admiral maybe dont do northern ireland, ill check

im at uni ulster btw doesnt say im from NI under my name!

the ramps are disgraceful like, they gotta be about 5-6 inches at highest point, and theyre prob only a little over a foot wide

i forgot to ask, when was 6 speed gearbox introduced?

aaronjb

Oh look, a list of every change introduced in every model year right there in the Reference section.  Well I never.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Oh look, a list of every change introduced in every model year right there in the Reference section.  Well I never.

nice guy

wasnt the main topic of the thread so why the need to be so rude?? apologies for not scouring every section of the forum before posting reply, my bad....

Anonymous

That "nice guy" has done as much as anyone to keep this forum running.
Every question you have asked so far could have been found by a little reading, trust me you have had an easier ride than some noobs.

JudoKilli

Quote from: "djbenny1"
Quote from: "aaronjb"Oh look, a list of every change introduced in every model year right there in the Reference section.  Well I never.

nice guy

wasnt the main topic of the thread so why the need to be so rude?? apologies for not scouring every section of the forum before posting reply, my bad....

I don't think he was trying to be rude mate, and no offence, but most of the questions you've asked can be found with a little bit of googling and forum searching. I've only been here a little while but I've seen a fair share of n00bs asking common questions getting a lot worse of a response than what aaronjb gave you.

aaronjb

Indeed I just felt it would be appropriate to point you in the direction of the reference section, where there is a veritable wealth of information - including all the things you were looking for (well, aside from speed bumps - which suck, as the bottom of my car will bear witness to) - and did so in my usual style.

Still, there's always the ignore function if you don't like the way someone talks - I won't be offended at all.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

enid_b

nice guy

wind your neck in kid.  this is a welcoming club and as you have seen people will bend over backwards to help you.  all we are asking in return is that you do your own reading and research.  after all, it is your money you will be spending. the more you read the more informed you will be, and therefore a better purchase you will make.  word of advice, dont be upsetting the old boys here, the amount of time, money, effort, and suffering (from time to time) devoted to this club. you may need their help in the future.

one example for you to consider.  if it wasn't for the guy you were being lippy to, you would not actually be reading this page!!!!

read long, spend carefully, post nicely.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Indeed I just felt it would be appropriate to point you in the direction of the reference section, where there is a veritable wealth of information - including all the things you were looking for (well, aside from speed bumps - which suck, as the bottom of my car will bear witness to) - and did so in my usual style.

Still, there's always the ignore function if you don't like the way someone talks - I won't be offended at all.

dont think you can ignore admin on forums   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

it doesnt bother me, im just saying; i talk on forums like i talk face to face, and if someone i didnt know spoke to me like that face to face, you can be sure itd be classed as rude where i come from (and just cos ive "got off easy" doesnt make it any less rude... to me anyway)

but whatever!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  forget it lol clearly a misunderstanding on my part

"(and if you kids are all paying 4 figure sums for insurance, my policy should cost me about £47.85 per year."

im not sure i know what u mean enid   s:? :? s:?

enid_b

Quote from: "aaronjb""(and if you kids are all paying 4 figure sums for insurance, my policy should cost me about £47.85 per year."

Im not sure i know what u mean enid   s:? :? s:?

lol, neither am i so i edited it out.  i think i was trying to make a reference to the cost of insurance for your end of the market. i think it is an outrage, and its no wonder there are so many people who are not insured on the roads.  i think it is absolutely ridiculous that you have to fork out that sort of money mate.  good luck with your purchase.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

nice guy

The questions you have asked have been asked 126549897959729779795772975937973975898594985948958485948985984594895894859289548989946589885993989589898989489589489849898495898958949895998968943989859689393298599425959295999298 times and the answers can be found with only a small amount of searching within the forum so you can understand when people get annoyed by the frequency of repetition and what can be perceived as lazyness by not using facilities to find the information you require although posting your questions does introduce you to other members.This is an open forum so you will find that you will get different responses to different posts but i know that if you needed genuine help there is no better place.

aaronjb

Quote from: "enid_b"read long, spend carefully, post nicely.

Ssshhh, there there..  s;) ;) s;)  It's ok - no need to defend me, and I don't want to drag this topic off into another direction - I'm big & ugly enough to dig my own holes  s;) ;) s;)

(See, I'm sarcastic to everyone around here!)

Quote from: "djbenny1""(and if you kids are all paying 4 figure sums for insurance, my policy should cost me about £47.85 per year."

That's just him saying he's old  s;) ;) s;)

(Again, told you I'm mean to everyone)

BTW, one other thing I hoped from pointing you to the reference section - that it would bring up new questions in your mind (say, for example, the improved bracing of the '03 - you have to ask yourself.. Is it worth paying the extra to get that handling improvement? And then.. Is there a way to improve the handling of the '02 like the '03.. Or even, is the handling of the '03 actually better - all excellent topics for discussion, and definitely ones that don't get done to death anywhere near as much as 'When did the 6-speed come in?')

Tags: