few newb questions!

Started by Anonymous, June 29, 2009, 21:14

markiii

really your mr2 does NOT deserve 20" wheels
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"really your mr2 does NOT deserve 20" wheels

i was joking   s:? :? s:?

Wabbitkilla

If you're thinking about wheels just be sure to maintain the tyre width stagger and keep the make & modeel of tyre the same all around... that's the boring bit out the way.

I always thought bigger wheels suited the 2 and then i lowered it snd the 15fr 16rr lools great. Plus i always have a wry smile when people complain about the cost of rubber for the big wheels. The car handles great on 15s and 16s.

6th gear is also a motorway mile muncher really and it's easier on the wallet. I use mine occassionally on good a-roads too. Something the Yaris Ts could have done with imho.

As for the pre03 shape, i like both really but hate the grey side intakes... fortunately they're not too expensive to replace with the post03 ones.. just be aware that some paint codes changed at the same time, most notably the silve doesn't match.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Kool PT

Quote from: "toyotasi"
Quote from: "Kool PT"
Quote from: "carl_evs"Your post just smacks of either a bit of trolling or plain old jealousy.  /rant over.

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Both actually!

You're right, he might be a rags to riches type. But he's probably not!   s:D :D s:D  most people who 'buy their own' overpriced cars at that age may well earn enough to pay it off, full time minimum wage would pay for that, as long as you didn't have mortgage & bills to pay as well!

I would just like to point out to the more nosey members which seem to not beable to understand how a 19 year old can afford this type of car, that some 19 year olds work damn hard and with no other big outgoings can afford this type of car. I could have wasted my money on drink and drugs like everyone else at this age, but i decided to do something decent.

so am i rich and spoilt..NO did my mum and dad pay for it..NO have i paid alot on insurance..YES, but i feel it has been worth every penny!  s:D :D s:D

Honestly, I don't care and wasn't having a real go but when I see a teenager getting out of a car that nice & expensive my immediate thought is 'mummy & daddy's money'.

And yes it is quite possible with a full time job - booze and drugs aren't that expensive, when I was that age I was more worried about rent/bills/food. I think you're wrong to assume that everyone has the option of living at home and being looked after while they spend every penny they own on sports cars. When I was 19 purchased a flat instead of a nice car, so yes I am jealous that I never had disposable cash and had to drive around in an 8 year old Seat Ibiza, but now at age 24 I am happy and feel lucky to drive my X reg, 96,000 mile MR2.
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

roger

Quote from: "djbenny1"nelix whats your opinion on the 5 speed vs 6 speed? seeing as uv had both? much difference in economy? and are the ratios 1-5 the same?

The 6 speeed is a +03 feature, so if you are not going that way you'll only get a 5 speed. If you reckon on changing the box, you probably have been better off with the +03 anyway. Ratios 1 - 5 are the same, so a 6 speed just gives you a tad better consumption and less revs/noise when motorway cruising.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

I prefer the 6 speed personally - but then I do mostly motorway miles (this is my commuter car, so to speak), although having had both (in the same car, no less) I prefer the shifting feel of the 5 speed..

For me it was much easier to be accurate with the 5 speed than the 6, while in the latter I have an annoying tendency to hit 5th instead of 3rd if I'm really hauling ass. You have to be much more accurate with the 6 speed, while the 5 speed seemed much happier to be smashed into 'roughly' the right area and you'd always find the gear you wanted - probably would be less of a problem if I didn't have a short shifter, though, or had the TRD 'short' (long) shifter as opposed to a knockoff B&M copy.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

hmm thats interesting aaron

yea the yaris does rev high on motorway, it sits at 3500 at 70 and 4000 rpm at 80 which does be quite annoying

BUT efficiency ALWAYS rises on the motorway  so sits around 38.

was your 5 speed mr2 similar? if yes then i can live with the 5 gears only!

going to get my yaris up for sale soon and get that money put away worried though about the time i might be without a car lol

Kool PT

At 80 I'm pretty sure mine is below 4k...probably 3700-3800. Remember that you ain't going to get Yaris mpg out of it, for the performance though economy is still really good. I'd say I get around 31mpg over a mixture of traffic-heavy  commuting and b-road bashing.
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

Anonymous

What campus u at? Cos if it jtown im gna have an issue with u!!!

I want to own the only mr2 in the carpark  s:D :D s:D

muffdan

You will get ~50 mpg motorway cruising (as proved by Les on last year's Corfu trip). Even I got 38mpg with a turbo on motorways during that trip. Both those figures were with 5spd boxes btw.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

aaronjb

Hm.. I need to check what RPMs are what - 80 in 6th is ~4000rpm from memory - and I've never ever had more than 36mpg out of it, even cruising for 300 miles at 70mph pre-turbo..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

enid_b

4k revs = 90mph on the 5 speed.  some would say that the engine does not like sitting at 4k for a long time because of a resonance issue. its not something that you can hear when you are driving, but some would say it has the potential to do a little damage to your car over a period of time.

plus the fact that 90mph is well above the legal speed limit for this land, so it would only really affect you if you entered le mans.

from what you are saying, you would prefer the post 03 model, for all the right reasons. you are suggesting that you would more likely get a pre 03 model and leave money for mods.  in my opinion, i would buy the newer car, the 03+ and forget about the mods for a while.  you are getting most of the initial mods as factory standard with the post facelift model.  you would also be getting your 6th gear, which i can tell you are obviously keen on.

if i was buying again, i would buy an 03+. it just makes more sense.

as always though, it is your choice.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "aaronjb"Hm.. I need to check what RPMs are what - 80 in 6th is ~4000rpm from memory - and I've never ever had more than 36mpg out of it, even cruising for 300 miles at 70mph pre-turbo..

That trip when I popped in to yours I had driven 310 miles before fill up for 38 MPG.
I was driving below 70 though because of the empty charge cooler.

Anonymous

yep spyder jtown lmao

tell me tho, how does she cope over the ramp going in from the jordanstown road??? its actual rape on the yaris, the one just after the zebra crossing

hmmm rly not sure lol i think the post 03 would be better for me but it really is a question of whether or not i can afford it!! i would probably go across the water to get it if the price was right

Anonymous

The ramps in uni are the single reason i havent lowered the 2, atm i crawl over them an I no the one your talking about its about 7ft high lol

U may also like to know that the 2 sits low enough to go through the barrier without it opening  s;) ;) s;)  (or without paying)

Theres already another 2 on the campus i think it must be a lecturer who owns it cos its always in early and parked by the mall entrance

Anonymous

sorry for double post

Def go over the water, u have a lot more choice and as long as you happy enough that whoever your dealing with is honest and lets u check the car over (find a local garage and just let them have a quick once over) plus when u go on to sell it u will prob be able to sell it near enough what u bought it.

I just passed my MOT today and called into a dealer i saw on my way in to look at a celica (i passed over a celica to get the mr2) which caught my eye and the guy who worked there said he was looking a 2 and would offer me 6k for mine! Thats what i paid for it a year ago...

Oh and the other thing im not a big fan of the front bumper on the post facelift i know im in the minority here but i dont think the positioning of the fog lights suits the 2

Anonymous

Quote from: "Spyder"The ramps in uni are the single reason i havent lowered the 2, atm i crawl over them an I no the one your talking about its about 7ft high lol

U may also like to know that the 2 sits low enough to go through the barrier without it opening  s;) ;) s;)  (or without paying)

Theres already another 2 on the campus i think it must be a lecturer who owns it cos its always in early and parked by the mall entrance

are u serious?? it can go under? lmao thats hilarious! and yea that ramp is a disgrace! its not so bad if u go in from the main road, but then ur relying on getting a space at the side of the uni which u mightnt always! then theres more absolute monsters which take u past the sports centre  s:( :( s:(   s:( :( s:(   s:( :( s:(

i dunno i quite like the fog lights, but i duno if i can afford the post 03. will just wait n c til i get mine sold see what i have to play with!

Wabbitkilla

[MOD] You might not be aware, but txt speek is not allowed on the forum, English isn't the first language for some of our members so we'd appreaciate if you'd stick to speaking English clearly please [/MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Liz

Can someone pass the painkillers please, just read through this thread after being offline for a couple of days thanks to BT, how many subjects and deviations!!

Welcome along BTW!!  Yes there are women on here too!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: