Under the rear bin? (Amp Installed!...)

Started by GSB, February 12, 2004, 18:19

GSB

Just to prove it can be done, I've done it...

The Amp sits flush with the floor of the storage bin. Theres an array of ventilation holes all around it, and of course the main body of the heatsink is exposed above the level of the floor. The amp sits on 2 strips of rubber to prevent anything untoward hapening below, and theres about 20mm of clearance beneath it for additional cooling.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Peter Laborne

Just my 2p. Would it be possible/worth putting a couple of fans (and cutting through), in the area I highlighted below, to aid with cooling/ventilation?

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"Just to prove it can be done, I've done it...

I thought you were gonna put it under the floor, without cutting it...

When I had my amp on the floor, I found that it actually took the whole side of the storage bin, cause I didn't feel comfortable putting anything on it if I had the stereo on...but an idea of metal mesh on top of it sounded like a good one, never actually tried it though.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"Just my 2p. Would it be possible/worth putting a couple of fans (and cutting through), in the area I highlighted below, to aid with cooling/ventilation?

Not really possible... drilling a hole there doesn't give you access into the storage compartment. Look in the photos at the the top of this topic and you'll see what I mean.

Quote from: "Tem"I thought you were gonna put it under the floor, without cutting it...
I was, but only if I could find a 4 channel Amp small enough, and powerful enough. I've been looking around and theres a multitude of 2 channel amps that will fit under the floor with ease, but 4 channel ones seem to a lot bigger. In the end I did a few measurements and realised the amp I already had was perfect for the job. The floor had to be cut, but the amp doesn't actually come any higher than the floor used to, and it fits within the confines of the flat section of the floor perfectly.

Quote from: "Tem"When I had my amp on the floor, I found that it actually took the whole side of the storage bin, cause I didn't feel comfortable putting anything on it if I had the stereo on...but an idea of metal mesh on top of it sounded like a good one, never actually tried it though.

In all the time I've been running this amp in other cars, heat has never been a problem with it. Hopefully that should still be the case!  If I'm carrying luggage, I'll just have to turn off the sub and keep the volume down!

I've still got some way to go with the install. I want to fit a rubber edging to the edges where I've cut away the floor, just to neaten it up. And I want to secure the amp to the car so that it doesn't become a 4 kilo missile should the worst happen and I'm in an accident. All the cables are in place though, Power, speakers, remote turn on and RCA's, so all thats required is to connect up, bolt in the sub, and set it all up... I'll post more photos in a seperate thread after I fit the UD sub Jnr.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

just be carefull what you run of it GSB as you dont want it to over heat and melt things   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Quote from: "Buster"just be carefull what you run of it GSB as you dont want it to over heat and melt things   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Not to worry.  s:) :) s:)   I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it to start with, but I dont anticipate any problems. In my old car this same amp made a 200 mile trip fully enclosed in sleeping bags, duvets, pillows and loads of other gear and never missed a beat. Its never been so hot that I couldnt touch it, and its in a location where all it can melt is the plastic that surrounds it.

heathstimpson

Grant the picture links seem to be missing on this thread. I have desperately tried to fit the BlueSpot Amp under the passenger side rear bin plastics but there seems to not be enough room. When I try to refit the plastic it sits proud at the rear end. The mounting area is not totally flush and I have only removed the single protruding stud, not the other two. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated matey  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

Heath, had this problem myself and the answer for me was to hack the bottom off the cubby floor panel and recreate a new floor with MDF, i gained an inch below which was just enough to get my monobloc in.

do you want a pic?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Heath, had this problem myself and the answer for me was to hack the bottom off the cubby floor panel and recreate a new floor with MDF, i gained an inch below which was just enough to get my monobloc in.

do you want a pic?
That would be great as I need to get this sorted before the rest of the install goes ahead Tuesday  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

here you go Heath, the screw holes on the far side will give you an idea of how much i cut off, one screw is missing as now its recessed and needs the washer removing from the screw before it can be fitted again, another job ive not done  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

GSB

Heath, the pictures are hosted on Spydermagazine.com, which has gone down for a while.

have you removed the plastic case from the amplifier? It wont fit with te case on... Also, try turning it upside down, and removing the foam and some of the reinforcing spars from the underside of the plastics.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"Heath, the pictures are hosted on Spydermagazine.com, which has gone down for a while.

have you removed the plastic case from the amplifier? It wont fit with te case on... Also, try turning it upside down, and removing the foam and some of the reinforcing spars from the underside of the plastics.
Yes its out of that rather large plastic case. I was wondering if I needed to remove some of the reinforcement spars on the botton of the plastic bin. Will try Monday when I make it home  s:? :? s:?  Long story  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Tags: