2 buy or not 2 buy?

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2009, 08:05

Anonymous

I am new to MR2 having just sold my V6 spider, which frankly, whilst great in many ways was just TOO powerful for a front drive car.
My question, I have about £3-£3.5K to spend as the Alfa was not cheap to keep!  s:x :x s:x  
There is an 03 silver on Ebay with 110,000 which i saw yesterday when i was in Swansea at my sons graduation. The owner took me out, drove well.
Minus points, no service history beyond 46,000, but one owner car who is known to the sellor who has assured him that it has been regularly serviced by himself. Small dings on wing and bonnet. 3 of the wheels showing quite significant corrosion, but otherwise neat!
Or go for an 00/01/02 with less miles and a full history??  s:) :) s:)

onion86

Personally i'd stretch or wait and stretch to get a facelift model with less miles, does depend on how long you're intending to keep it but 110k is quite high for a 6year old car. Mine is 3 years older and still only around the 50k mark so doesn't miss a beat. If the car has been self serviced well then that's fine, do that myself too and probably check over more things than a garage does!

Welcome to the club, you've chosen a great little car to go for; hope you find what you want soon.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

I would get one with lower mileage aswell.  Mine is just 3 years old and has under 10k miles on

Some people use them as their daily drive but some like me, use them just in summer so there must be some lower mileage ones out there.  That's just my opinion but i'd definitely go for one with service history   s:) :) s:)   even if the budget doesnt stretch

uktotty

You wont get a facelift for £3.5k so dont even bother.
Go with the high mileage one, all the bits that would have broken would have been replaced by then.
Mine has 100k and had new rad, new tyres, new discs, new pads.

MR 2ster

With recently purchasing the 2 myself i'd say hold out!!

Who knows what that car has done in its 100k miles? If it was an MK2 MR2 I wouldn't be so concerned because IMO they are built better...the Mk3 MR2's seem to have a few niggly issues when the mileage creeps up! But they are overall fantastic cars and great fun for their price bracket.

I'd hold out for a better bargain, even if it costs a little bit more but better condition an mileage and it will pay off!! Just remember in all cases though to check the precats before purchasing, I didn't but was lucky and within a week removed them anyway!

We paid £3975 for a 2000plate 54k Mk3 with just a few minor dings and scratches that have almost all been polished out!

aaronjb

At that price range I suspect you'd be better off getting a low mileage Mk1 or Mk2 MX-5 from a reliability point of view.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

northernalex

Quote from: "aaronjb"At that price range I suspect you'd be better off getting a low mileage Mk1 or Mk2 MX-5 from a reliability point of view.

My brother just sold his mk1 MX5 with a supercharger fitted 67K for £3 800. So you can get some bargins!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Thx for all of your varied and interesting replies!
For my information, what are the main differences in the facelift model please? and do the 01/02 models have the 6 spd box?

aaronjb

Quote from: "northernalex"My brother just sold his mk1 MX5 with a supercharger fitted 67K for £3 800. So you can get some bargins!

You're not wrong - there are some fantastic bargain MX5s on PistonHeads right now.

Quote from: "asbo"Thx for all of your varied and interesting replies!
For my information, what are the main differences in the facelift model please? and do the 01/02 models have the 6 spd box?

Only the '03 onward got the 6 speed - there's a list of changes by year in the reference section, here:  l viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4807 l
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Thx, looks like the 03 on ebay might not be so bad after all!
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0318350163 m
  s:?: :?: s:?:

ex-member

Quote from: "asbo"Thx, looks like the 03 on ebay might not be so bad after all!

Yup...but you wont find out for less than 5500....

Anonymous

Mmm, am i cynical or does it strike me his reason for selling does not quite ring true?

Anonymous

to be honest i have seen a few people with that as the excuse for selling the mr2, seems pretty understandable in my opinion   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "mark_a_thorpe"

Yup...but you wont find out for less than 5500....

I think that the sellor would be pretty chuffed if he made that amount, he gave me an indication of what he had paid last week and it wasn't that much  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
As for his reason for selling, he seemed a genuine guy who had bought the car without trying her in doors for size 1st!

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"You wont get a facelift for £3.5k so dont even bother.
Go with the high mileage one, all the bits that would have broken would have been replaced by then.
Mine has 100k and had new rad, new tyres, new discs, new pads.

i didnt really think of that, i suppose if you could get ANY age with a FSH, you can't really go wrong!

Wabbitkilla

May be worth making sure if it's an older car with FSH that it's under 7 years old.
Make it 5 or 6, as that gives you a bit of cover if the engine suffers oval-bore syndrome - you'll either get a half engine or full engine out of Toyota FOC   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

thats right they cover engine for 7 years and bodywork for 12 isnt that right??

do they only replace the engine within 7 years if you have full documented service history?? (does it have to be all with toyota dealers?)

Wabbitkilla

I seem to remember some people with a majority of service history have managed to get it, but it was touch and go.
Not sure about non-Toyota dealership servicing, but as legislation in the UK means you don't have to have dealership servicing as long as the book is stamped would suggest it will be valid.

I'm not 100% certain though
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

cclarke99

Always worth asking for a quote from Warranty direct. They provide a good level of cover and seem to have a good reputation. I'm not sure about the mileage, or the service history, but it might be worth looking at their website

Tags: