alloys again

Started by Anonymous, February 13, 2004, 00:11

Anonymous

my 2 is 4months old and three of the alloys are 'blistering'

i have been told by toyota not to brake to hard as this makes the wheels go too hot

p.s. what i am supposed to do when a dog runs out in front of me?  just ignore it?

markiii

it's a known fault with the laquer on the alloys. They are replaceable under warranty.

though you are teh first 03 I've heard of with the problem.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

My 03's alloys are blistered as well (mentioned in another post a few days ago) although they did last a bit longer at 10 months and 10k.

Dealer is replacing them without any problem. I told him in passing that I'd seen many others complain about blistered alloys on this forum and his reply was "There's no point in lying about these problems to you people - you probably know more about these problems than we do"!!!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrcadburysparrot"Dealer is replacing them without any problem. I told him in passing that I'd seen many others complain about blistered alloys on this forum and his reply was "There's no point in lying about these problems to you people - you probably know more about these problems than we do"!!!  s:) :) s:)

He's right  - we do!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Sundance"
Quote from: "mrcadburysparrot"Dealer is replacing them without any problem. I told him in passing that I'd seen many others complain about blistered alloys on this forum and his reply was "There's no point in lying about these problems to you people - you probably know more about these problems than we do"!!!  s:) :) s:)

He's right  - we do!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)
Geee, a honest dealer  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Who was it  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Just noticed mine have gone the same way- 3 out of 4 anyway.  10 months 15k miles.  I'll see what my pants dealer has to say

juansolo

Quote from: "Jimbob"I'll see what my pants dealer has to say

You bought your car from Levi's?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Sob, Sob...

My 02 model has now been afflicted with the dreaded bubbles....seems that the latest bout of snow and ice, and salted roads has resulted in the long awaited problem.

Car is washed every week or so and I inspect the wheels closely each time.  Can't believe how quickly the wheels have deteriorated!

Will give Mr T a call and see what his reaction is...

Andrew

Anonymous

My Alloy Nightmare.

I had mine changed through my dealer on my (2000) '2 when only six months was left on the warranty. I thought this was excellent until this week i noticed the back two had started to bubble again.
When i went back in to the dealer i actually found out that my one years manufacture warranty had run out by six weeks. Due to them being put on in December 2002.
The dealer then told me to phone customer relations at Toyota.
After talking to customker relations they contacted my dealer and around a day later came back to me via the dealer. They offered me two new alloys at half price (£266), fitted free.
I told the dealer this wasn't good enough and that the defect is Toyota's and it hadn't been corrected when the car was in warranty.
I also told them that i wouldn't be using their dealership anymore and that next year i'll buy my wife her Celica (BLUFF) from someone else.
This prompted the nice lady from the dealership to tell me that she would see her boss and get back to me.
The next day she phoned and left a message that the alloys had been ordered and would be replaced free of charge.
Low and behold i cleaned the car today and noticed one of the front one's may also be bubbling.

Does anyone know of a product that can be used to protect these defect alloys? As i can't see me getting another two from my dealer. They have actually stood the £266 Toyota offer.

Since December 2002 my car has only done 8000 miles before the alloys bubbled again.

Eventually i 'm sure i'll have to replace the wheels with after market ones.
As anyone got any suggestions and prices of after market alloys?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Mine are starting as well, 8 months and 6700 miles   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

I picked my original wheels up from Brum yesterday (they have sat in a garage for months), and whilst having the tyres stripped off I noticed a couple of spots where they had bubbled... not that it matters as they will be acid bathed on Monday!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

QuoteEventually i 'm sure i'll have to replace the wheels with after market ones.
As anyone got any suggestions and prices of after market alloys?

I and others have put our thoughts here http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2620

If you want to save money get them refurbished at a decent alloy place or check out the wheels I recommended. Prospec http://www.prospec-ms.co.uk/top.php stock the Volks (also known as Rays Wheels)

SteveJ

10 Weeks old, and 10K miles, my alloys are starting to bubble around the edges (exactly where I expected them too - right in the line of fire of hot sparks from the brakes)

Ah well - yet another thing to add to the snag list for the dealer next weekend  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Had my alloys replaced by Mr T this week. They said mine were the worst blistering they had seen to date!!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   The worrying thing is my warranty runs out end of May this year and the bloody things are bound to start looking like a teenagers puss filled face!!
Hmm looks like i'll have to run these into the ground then get some OZ wheels!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Alsquiz"Eventually i 'm sure i'll have to replace the wheels with after market ones.
As anyone got any suggestions and prices of after market alloys?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Mine are from borbet http://www.borbet.de/ There is a picture here http://www.mr2-roadster.de/images/CCdetails/DVC00018.JPG

Anonymous

Have I made a big mistake  s:?: :?: s:?:  

I bought a Sept '01 model in July & have just thought on that I didn't send any details to Mr T re warranty. As they are 3 yearwarranties my wheels which are all bubbling should be covered  s:) :) s:)  

I had better give Mr T tomorrow  s:!: :!: s:!:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "SteveJ"10 Weeks old, and 10K miles, my alloys are starting to bubble around the edges

HOW MUCH!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

kanujunkie

Just washed mine and found 2 small bubbles as well, not as bad as Steves after 10 weeks! but still after 5months, not good   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "SteveJ"10 Weeks old, and 10K miles, my alloys are starting to bubble around the edges

HOW MUCH!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

The car was delivered to me 27/11/03, and the following morning we were on the ferry heading for Essen in Germany, so in it's first 4 days it covered 1000 miles   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  and since then it makes a daily journey from Luton to Reading and back along with all sorts of business miles. This car definately earns it's keep with me driving it  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

My 03 has all four alloys showing some level of blistering.

Up for sale, so needless to say I was straight up to Toyota.  Western in Dunfermline gave the immediate ok for four new alloys to be ordered there and then.

Second MR2 they had just that day requiring new wheels.

Must be costing Toyota a bloody fortune.

SteveJ

Quote from: "SteveJ"10 Weeks old, and 10K miles, my alloys are starting to bubble around the edges (exactly where I expected them too - right in the line of fire of hot sparks from the brakes)

Ah well - yet another thing to add to the snag list for the dealer next weekend  s:( :( s:(

Car serviced yesterday - now waiting for a date to fit 4 new alloys and clean/reseal rear light clusters (seems that Toyota have released a repair kit for the rear clusters)

Now I'm waiting for the warm weather to see if the hood still gives me problems (doesn't sit in the seal on the rear corner of the windows without some 'encouragement'). If not - that's another warranty claim  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

i know this is getting off the thread slightly but the problem with your roof is it where the canvas overlaps the rubber seal rather than sitting just behind it. if so i was told by Toyota's independent engineer that the roof had been fitted incorrectly and therefore needed a complete new one. Mine had started to damage the canvas after 9 months of use

any way back to the original thread

is it true that Toyota have been fitting reworked alloys to cars? when i book my car in for the warranty work can i specify that i don't want them or are they better than originals

Tem

Quote from: "adz648"i know this is getting off the thread slightly but the problem with your roof is it where the canvas overlaps the rubber seal rather than sitting just behind it. if so i was told by Toyota's independent engineer that the roof had been fitted incorrectly and therefore needed a complete new one. Mine had started to damage the canvas after 9 months of use

I had that problem. I didn't notice it before the seal broke though, but it was probably like that from new.

Toyota replaced the seal and adjusted the top. I've been paying extra attention to it since and it hasn't done it again. I think the adjustment did the trick and there's no need to replace the whole top...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

they tried that with mine

replaced the rubber, adjusted the roof, even resorted to greasing the canvas which worked really well 'NOT'  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

then they called the engineer out and eventually he measured the roof and said that it was offset to the drivers side.

i traded the car in before they had chance to make it even worse. so keep your eyes peeled for a silver 02 with txl at the end of the reg, as i don't think the replaced the roof before selling it on.

heathstimpson

I thought that I had got away with the alloy wheel issue until I gave the 2 a thorough clean yesterday. All four have started to blister and its not a year old yet. Must be the recent salt and cold weather. Another job for the first service list  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: