Hardtop Question - Side Latches

Started by Anonymous, February 13, 2004, 12:16

Anonymous

Its like this -

New Hardtop arrives. Its in reception at work.   s:) :) s:)  

Car is in carpark   s:) :) s:)

Have help with fitting   s:) :) s:)  

Have all but drivers side latch installed   s:x :x s:x  

Do I chance it and put the top on and drive the 10 or so miles home and complete the latches there. Probably will not get the chance of help here at work if I returned later with car fully prepped.

Hardtop owners especially, your opinions would be appreciated.

Anonymous

I wouldnt mate!

The rear silver latches are only really there to guide the hard top into place... you get a gust of wind under that and i recon it woudl rip it off the car!

If you dont have the inside strikers installed yet, i wouldnt bother mate, not worth the risk IMHO.

<edit> misread your post (thanks martin!), so you have 1 striker fitted.... i personally still wouldnt risk it but its better than no strikers at all.</edit>

Anonymous

Dayl

I would'nt risk it myself.

Just fitted hardtop last night.

Go home prep car and ask somebody to stay to help you..bung them a drink!

mph

Quote from: "Dayl"Have all but drivers side latch installed   s:x :x s:x  
So you have three of the four latches installed?! In which case I'd say it's safe enough for a slow drive home.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Yes three of the four would be latched, plus hooked into the lugs on the rear deck

Anonymous

Dayl

Let us know what you did (like we don't know   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), and if you got it back okay?

Anonymous

Quote from: "roadsterman99"Dayl

Let us know what you did (like we don't know   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), and if you got it back okay?

Im just waiting for a post in the Buying/Selling forum for something like:

"For Sale: Hard Top, slightly wind damaged due to being launched off car at 50mph, t-cut should help.... offers?"   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

remember the SL hardtop?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"remember the SL hardtop?

from when we picked mine up?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quoteroadsterman99 wrote:
Dayl

Let us know what you did (like we don't know  ), and if you got it back okay?

Im just waiting for a post in the Buying/Selling forum for something like:

"For Sale: Hard Top, slightly wind damaged due to being launched off car at 50mph, t-cut should help.... offers?"

Roadsterman99 - You read me like a book  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Experienced absolutely no problems minus the pax side latch. Fitted first time as well - no adjustment required as far as I can tell at the moment. Based the positioning of the latch holes centred about captive nut position on body as advised somewhere within another thread on the board.

Has transformed the way the car feels and looks  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Well I've just fitted a hardtop and I've driven EVERYBODY crazy over the last three or four days. It was like waiting for Christmas!
Collected hardtop from Essex on Tuesday, fixing kit delayed til Thursday, worked feverishly Thursday night to fit top, then straight out!   s:D :D s:D
So I know how you were feeling.

Anonymous

Sounds like we have had a similar week  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I really need to see Chilli/Silver combination though, where are the pics you promised us  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

As promised pictures of silver hardtop on my chilli red 2:

Sorry about the small size but pinched them from my website.

Well, what do you think?

Anonymous

Quote from: "roadsterman99"Well, what do you think?

umm.... its different alright!   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I like it

Anonymous

I like it

Anonymous

Call me boring, but I prefer matching hard-tops...  The only exception I have seen was a on a nice Silver which had a black hardtop on, and for some bizarre reason seemed to work.

I think the car in question had a TRD stage 1 on as well, which kinda helped...!   s:D :D s:D  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Tags: