new car.....

Started by Anonymous, July 24, 2009, 09:21

Anonymous

woop woop lol

a bit of an impulse buy, a lot like the yaris, i saw it on wed, sailed over on thurs and got home again this morning  s:D :D s:D

2000 Black MR2 w/ red leather, air con + hard top and TTE twin exhaust

im not going to lie it does have a good few bumps and bruises though nothing major at all only panel i would consider maybe replacing would be the passenger wing as the wheel arch is slightly dented, but might be able to get it pushed out.

exterior condition is probably about 6or7/10 which usually wouldnt be good enough for me but given the price i had to have her! as it was everything i wanted red leather on black w/ air con and hard top.   s8) 8) s8)  

theres an mr2 passport with a pile of receipts as thick as your fist for services all by toyota including a brand new engine 18k miles ago   s8) 8) s8)  

(although that begs a question - the engine was replaced because of a "knocking noise" which i automatically assumed to be the precat as it seems to be main cause of engine failure but question is... if it was the precat, would toyota have removed all traces of it from manifold? or even put a new one in?)

the drive home was great, my back was about as close to broke as possible by time i got the yaris over (PX) as it was something like 250 miles from my house to the dealer not including ferry but the mr2 was painless and i could have got straight back in and did another 250   s8) 8) s8)  

the reallllly long push of the clutch and accelerator will take some getting used to tho as opposed to the nudge in the yaris!

chuffed to bits   s:D :D s:D

JudoKilli

Congratulations!

I know you've been posting around here since I got mine, so I'm glad you've finally found one! Black on red is deffo the best combination!

She looks to be in good condition (from what I can see obviously).  

By the way, are those facelift seats on a pre-facelift car? Or are my eyes still tired?  Sorry I can't give much help on the engine, but I would have thought they'd replace the manifold as well...

Congratz and I hope you enjoy your car as much as I have mine!

aaronjb

If it's the one  .. crap, forgotten your name! - djbenny PM'd me about then it also has facelift rear bumper inserts and facelift doorcards (just noticed those - chrome rings on the tweeters and chrome rings on the door handles)..

I wondered if it was ol' ErnieBall's car, actually.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

inert2k3

Nice car there, hope the engines a smooth runner.

Shame about the dings and scuffs but like you said, you can take your time and get each bit repaired as you go

Happy motoring!

Mohammed   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Wabbitkilla

Well done   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

What i suggest is you pop the O2 sensors out from the manifold and have a look in to see how the pre-cats are getting on if they're still there. Ithey're there then get 'em out if you want and have a shake of the main cat at the time to see if there's any debris in there. I would hope that Toyota would replace the engine, precats, and main cat ... but it always pays to have a look and check eh   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Other than that enjoy the permagrin factor
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "inert2k3"Nice car there, hope the engines a smooth runner.

Shame about the dings and scuffs but like you said, you can take your time and get each bit repaired as you go

Happy motoring!

yep the engine is 110% was perfect the whole 250 miles  s:D :D s:D

the scuffs arent noticeable in the photo but theyre there! and yea im just gona get them done as i go  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  

yep seats were recently done too   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

woop woop

edit: oh and i forgot to ask, with the new engine going in like may 08, what way does the engine warranty work from there? is it 7 years on new engine now?? or is it like a 2 year parts and labour guarantee??

also forgot to ask, the cover thing that is underneath the engine - roundish plastic thing must be to protect from splashes etc - can they be replaced just i think mine is a little broken in 1 corner i havent had a look yet if i can fix it i will but can it be taken off even? i dont particularly like it!

NickNJ

Quote from: "djbenny1"

Happy motoring!

the scuffs arent noticeable in the photo but theyre there! and yea Im just going to get them done as i go  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  

woop woop

edit: oh and i forgot to ask, with the new engine going in like may 08, what way does the engine warranty work from there? is it 7 years on new engine now?? or is it like a 2 year parts and labour guarantee??

also forgot to ask, the cover thing that is underneath the engine - roundish plastic thing must be to protect from splashes etc - can they be replaced just i think mine is a little broken in 1 corner i havent had a look yet if i can fix it i will but can it be taken off even? i dont particularly like it!

1 month warranty on replacement engine from toyota for me, if your ca is still under 7 years then you may get lucky.

you can take off the cover and you  dont really need to put it back on.
Black MR2 Roadster

Anonymous

Quote from: "NickNJ"
Quote from: "djbenny1"

Happy motoring!

the scuffs arent noticeable in the photo but theyre there! and yea Im just going to get them done as i go  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  

woop woop

1 month warranty on replacement engine from toyota for me, if your ca is still under 7 years then you may get lucky.

you can take off the cover and you  dont really need to put it back on.

ah right na its a 2000 so its out of warranty but ill get the manifold checked asap to make sure theres none of that garbage in it!!

also can i just check that you guys all have clutches like mine where its quite a long push in and the clutch doesnt engage until its right in, then doesnt disengage until its about 3/4 of the way out? just want to check because clutch was replaced a while ago!

Anonymous

No don't think so think its about midway(i drive a van too so could be getting mixed up), sounds like your clutch might not have long left but see how you go.

Anonymous

will have to see some more its just im not totally used to it yet obviously will take some time!! na clutch isnt done it has only been replaced recently.

only thing is my gear changes arent nice and smooth yet! will come im sure!

the only thing i have trouble with is getting a quick gear change as it takes quite a while to press clutch, change then release again, mostly like i said because of the distance the clutch pedal has to travel

Anonymous

few changes to cars appearance.

not sure if theres a record for the shortest-lasting mr2, but if there is im pretty sure i just annihaliated it....

needless to say.... abs. gutted

inert2k3

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Damn Im really sorry for you mate - Hope you were ok

Mohammed
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Anonymous

yea im fine mate cheers, not a scratch or bruise

everyones going to assume i was speeding but all i can say is that i was doing 40 max on a road i KNOW to be slippy as hell, came round a sweeping left hander and the back side slid out, tried to counteract slide but eventually just ran along right hand side ditch and eventually hit a stump

the recovery guy reckons itll be a write off

spit

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Gutted for you, but so glad the metal bits protected the fleshy ones.

At least now we know why the washer bottle takes so long to fill up - its huuuuge  s:D :D s:D  

Hoping you get a good settlement.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

about the "settlement" the price i valued my car at on the insurance was a fair price for it, will i get that price??

i mean i valued it at 3500 on the policy which is what i paid but i got a good deal imo

the mileage is recorded at 15,000 in the insurance peoples database, must have been reset when new engine went in

Anonymous

If i were you i would remove hardtop and fixing kit and swap those highly sought after red facelift seats for old cloth or leather ones before giving it to the scrappers as these will be worth about £800 tell them you bought them separately and added.

Anonymous

i dont have seats to replace with  s:( :( s:(  but i will definitely be keeping hard top and will remove fitting kit, the ht wasnt on at the time

Anonymous

Just buy some cloth ones for about £50 as you will sell them for £300 easy and it wont really affect insurance valuation but £250 profit will take the sting out of your excess.

Anonymous

hard to come by in northern ireland  s:( :( s:(  

are they easy to replace though i might try and ring scrap yards, also i have the tte twin pipe exhaust, much is a used one of them worth??

am i right that they sell the car to a scrap yard, for them to strip?

ChrisGB

Ouch, bad luck  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

What tyres was it on?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

uktotty

Real bummer mate, just goes to show how different a Rear Wheel Mid Engine car handles in times of trouble!
Happy to swap my seats for yours before they crush it mate

Anonymous

Yeah just 4 bolts and a wire to each seat 15 mins to change both,twin exhaust should fetch £150-200 and MARK iii  is giving away a standard one in his "clearing out shed" post.And yes they just sell to scrappers to strip.

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Real bummer mate, just goes to show how different a Rear Wheel Mid Engine car handles in times of trouble!
Happy to swap my seats for yours before they crush it mate

cant swap   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   the idea is for me to get some extra money to counteract the excess and also to counteract them trying to make me a shit offer for car, plus youre in england  s:P :P s:P

it was on 205/50/15 at back and 195/55/15 at front i think, im not 100% sure about offsets may have both been 55 or both 50 im not sure but was a combination of 55 and 50. they were also new tyres replaced not more than couple months ago.

thanks bryan is the exhaust hard to change?

main problem is getting this done before they send the dude out to evaluate the damage.

markiii

were the tyres the same make and model?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Plusgas 24hrs before is your friend with seized nuts,you would only be swapping the back box so shouldn't be too hard,depends how competent you are with a socket set.Delay the dude saying their is no access and you need to book a day of work etc.
P.s. don't forget to grab these for the hard top as they cost approx £200 to buy.

Tags: