new car.....

Started by Anonymous, July 24, 2009, 09:21

Anonymous

the front 2 were the same markii, and the back 2 were same

ok ill be on with the scrap yards tomorrow see if there are many about but i wont be holding my breath on getting seats.

ill be sure to get all the fixings for hard top though cheers

how about your back box markiii??

cheers

my mates cant understand how im not totally devastated, im gutted but to be honest i think im still in shock...!!
the only reasons i am annoyed though is from a financial point of view..... and that ill never hear the end of it!!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "djbenny1"the front 2 were the same markii, and the back 2 were same

Hmmm..... different front to rear by any chance  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

yea they were

markiii

and that will be most of teh reason
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

enid_b

im so sorry for your loss. at least it happened before you had done loads of mods to it, and spent even more money on it.

as others have said, i will echo 'metal bits can be replaced, soft fleshy parts, not so easy'

remember dont accept the first two offers from the insurance company, they will try it on.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

NickNJ

and probably wet where the mr2 needs more respect, |RWD is a totally different beast to fwd. We've all had a few shakey moments when first starting out with a rwd, so hopefully you'll get straight back into mr2 ownership ans learn from the experience.  When I was your age I slid out in an mgf and thought there was something wrong with the car, reality is it was me.

good luck looking for a new one, definately swap exhaust and get that hardtop off and you'll come out of ok.
Black MR2 Roadster

Anonymous

yea mate i know i mean it did cross my mind that the car is really a lot more dangerous in the wet than a normal fwd car with engine in front, it probably is but at same time i know that theres a lot of people even just on here that drive them year round.

if i had more experience i maybe could have stopped the slide but who knows, live and learn!

you really think the tyres make that much of a difference? i mean i know they keep the car on the road but surely as long as the 2 pairs match?

just off the phone with the insurance company there basically the approved repairer is the next person to phone me to probably arrange seeing car, so what will the procedure be if they do decide to repair (highly unlikely) and if they dont?? first claim   s:( :( s:(  

cheers

NickNJ

yes mismatched tyres are not good on any car never mind rear wheel drive.

live and learn is the right attitude, you won't do it again! drive like a granny in wet and it perfectly fine. my mr2 is my wet weather winter car so don't be out off by rwd.
Black MR2 Roadster

Wabbitkilla

You muppet!  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

But i am glad you're ok... it's been stated soooo many times, same make and manufacturer all around and maintain the stagger. Or ..... you know what happens now.

Live and learn - wise words indeed, as you've just bought the car then you haven't had the chance to suffer depreciation and the insurance company "should" be sensible about their offer.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

muffdan

Sorry to see that, let's hope you get a fair price from the insurers.

If it makes you feel better, wheel alignment also makes a MASSIVE difference to these cars in the wet. My car is 2000 and I had to drive like a granny in the wet for the first 2 years. I put it down to the characteristics of the car as other members compained about the same thing. It was absolutely fine in the dry but lethal in the wet (the back stepped out whilst cruising at 40mph in a straight line once!).

After driving another MR2 in the wet, I realised there was something seriously wrong with mine and it turned out to be the wheel alignment. I had it sorted and it transformed the car, I've had no problems since!

If you do get another one, which I hope you do, be sure to get the alignment checked.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

onion86

s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   Just thought I'd look at the posts on the 'new car' thread as I thought it was getting a lot of attention and seen this! Unlucky mate, glad you're OK, I think you might be on the record for time with the car before killing it. I always drive slow in the wet, accelerated in a straight line once on the M6/A14 in 2nd after coming off the roundabout between them and back end went a bit haywire, not had any problem since then as it put me off accelerating quickly in the wet.

As you p/x the Yaris was it from a dealer? Not been brought up yet, but think you could fight compensation for having mismatched tyres as it was sold to you in an unsuitable condition so you wouldn't have to claim on the insurance? (I like getting out of spending money on things).

I hope if it is a write off you do get hold of something just as good and this doesn't put you off the car.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

it hasnt put me off the car as such, as i know its a great car, but in hinesight im not sure if its practical for me.

to be honest i dont think i would get another one unless i could afford to just use it when weather was good.

im currently looking at mk4 golf gt tdis but who knows, i may end up with another 2 but i doubt it, simply because i couldnt get one here for anywhere near the money i paid for mine and i couldnt be arsed going over the water again  s:( :( s:(

aaronjb

Quote from: "djbenny1"to be honest i dont think i would get another one unless i could afford to just use it when weather was good.

I got through a winter with almost completely bald Yokohama Neova tyres on the car (in fac, by February they were slicks), and that's with the turbo kit fitted... not a hint of sideways action unless I wanted it, either.. The MR2 isn't a summer only car, really it isn't.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

2nd that, mine has been my only car for several years and boosted to silly power levels too (as is Aarons).

phil

Anonymous

I know it's like I said I realise loads of people use them year round, but I won't have one in winter because it's kinda put the fear in me now. May have been tyres, and i'm sure a large part of it was my driving but the worrying thing was how it was so easy to do, not that I was trying to do it because I wasn't but I know myself I wouldn't have taken that corner any different in any other situation.

Anonymous

Tbh, it sounds as if the 2 is not for you, if you do not feel confident and comfortable driving one, there is little point in having one.
You may just have been very unlucky, i had a mk1 for 11 years, spun it 360 degrees once after having it 7 years, albeit on ice, but i knew the ice was there and was driving accordingly.
Mine is used all year round, it is my only car and there is nothing wrong with the car in the winter, it is not just a summer car.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "djbenny1"I know it's like I said I realise loads of people use them year round, but I won't have one in winter because it's kinda put the fear in me now. May have been tyres, and i'm sure a large part of it was my driving but the worrying thing was how it was so easy to do, not that I was trying to do it because I wasn't but I know myself I wouldn't have taken that corner any different in any other situation.

Chances are it was the mixed tyres that caused the problems. Any car can get into a spin if the front tyres grip better than the rears, but with the engine up the back it will not be so inclined to self correct as a front engined front driver.

Even on the well worn RS2s the car will generally understeer slightly before oversteer gets a chance to happen and the rear will tell you it is getting sketchy. Having said that, it can still bite unexpectedly, so some respect for the layout is called for and in standing water even the well experienced in a well set up car can come a cropper. When conditions get very poor I can still make good progress, but on a twisty b road my cooper D is probably faster.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Yea may well have been.

I do feel unlucky but fact is I only had the car 3 days and didn't really had a chance to get to grips with it. So I do feel a little unlucky that it did happen, but at same im much more grateful it didn't happen at 70 on a busy motorway.

Pickup guy comin to get the car tomorrow so I will let you know what happens. Truth be told I will be happy with either result (write off/repair) as Endsleigh guarantee the repairs for 5 years. Everyone who has seen it though says it will be written off. Car is valued at 3500 on insurance and I told them that's what i paid. Obviously not letting on I have the hard top. What you guys reckon they will offer me?? Do they basically just offer crap amount hoping you will say yes? And is there a point at which they say "ok we can't help you then"

muffdan

as you'd literally just paid £3500 for it three days earlier, I don't think they can offer you anything else! I assume you have the receipt?

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Do you have a copy of the ad where you got the car from, or a reciept? As you only had the car a few days i would imagine they must pay out what you payed, minus your excess of course.
Other downside though is your insurance is going to rocket, you may want to look at skateboards.

Anonymous

Yea I have receipts. That's not so bad then.

Yea insurance is going to go up about 500 quid on a golf gt tdi 115. Depends whether or not they let me keep a year of my ncb if they do I'll have 1 at the end of this policy and that's the criteria I hae been quoting for.

StuM

Quote from: "djbenny1"Truth be told I will be happy with either result (write off/repair) as Endsleigh guarantee the repairs for 5 years. Everyone who has seen it though says it will be written off.

Sorry to read of this, bad luck.

That is 100% a write off judging by the pictures - if the roof is as badly knackered as it looks, fixing that alone would be enough to write off the car if it is worth £3.5k.

S
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Guys quick question Anyway to drain the fuel tank as I filled it yeserday....

Cheers

Anonymous

Quote from: "djbenny1"Guys quick question Anyway to drain the fuel tank as I filled it yeserday....

Cheers

Good thinking, make sure you get the air out of the tyres too.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Lmao I would if it was worth anything

seriously though can it be drained there is 50 quids worth in there!!

Tags: