new car.....

Started by Anonymous, July 24, 2009, 09:21

Anonymous

Siphon, but be careful, don't swallow any.

darkday

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"But i am glad you're ok... it's been stated soooo many times, same make and manufacturer all around and maintain the stagger. Or ..... you know what happens now.
At least the brits still get it... Stupid SCers who think you can mix and match.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  /rant

That said I'll echo what everyone else is saying. I'm not sure what your winters are like in the UK but where I live we've got plenty of snow and ice and I drive year around. With proper tires of course. Never had an issue but then again I also never mixed tires either.

markiii

you can;t syphon a roadster tank

I've tried
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Ah right just wasn't sure if siphon would work because I know in some cars they made the chute twisty to stop siphons going in!!

Will give it a go!

markiii

Quote from: "markiii"you can;t syphon a roadster tank

I've tried
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

We've another idea incase siphoning doesn't work though  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

if involves drilling the petrol tank personally I'd just make sure teh insurance company covers th extra fuel and not risk putting yourself into orbit

aaronjb

Pull out the passenger side rear bin, take the fuel pump out and siphon it out through the large hole that's left.. that's your best bet with the tank in the car..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Yea Aaron that was what we were thinking only we were going to leave the pump on and use it to pulp it out vi the feed to the engine will let u no how we get on

aaronjb

Unfortunately (and I've done that in the past on other cars  s;) ;) s;) ) the coupling at the fuel pump end isn't a straight barb, and you can't get the fuel hose off at the engine end, otherwise I'd have said that  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

JudoKilli

Unlucky man. I wouldn't blame yourself, you didn't have proper time to "learn" the car, the tyres were mismatched and it was wet.

I hope the insurance give you a decent amount. I can't imagine they'd go far off the market value seeing as you only bought it three days ago   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

After reading what everyone has said, I'm going to take a little more care in the rain, because this is the only car I have all year round. Glad your OK though!

Anonymous

Well we got it sorta done with a hose with a smaller hose down the middle of it. Slow but it's working!!! Got about 3 gallons so far!!

darkday

QuoteI wouldn't blame yourself, you didn't have proper time to "learn" the car,
That would put him at fault... He should have been driving slower given it's a new car. Even if it is a sports car, he doesn't know it's quirks or if there's something wrong with it (Like mismatched tires).

Anonymous

Someone should make this thread a Sticky so we can just point people here when they come along and whinge when we tell them that it's critical to have the correct tyres on the car. Proof and pudding, as it were.

That's a serious suggestion too, btw.

Anonymous

just want to make sure that you arent implying that i whinged about tyre pressures, are you?

Anonymous

Haven't seen any post where you mentioned tyre pressures, so no. That's okay though, because I didn't mention tyre pressures either.  s;) ;) s;)

darkday

Quote from: "Dan M"Someone should make this thread a Sticky so we can just point people here when they come along and whinge when we tell them that it's critical to have the correct tyres on the car. Proof and pudding, as it were.

Well on SC at least this kind of thread proves nothing. "He just over drove the car" is what I hear all to often when I pull up a thread similar to this in a discussion about mixing tires. Frankly I just gave up and now let people do what they want. I'm not their mommy. It is nice to see a board that still embraces safety though and my hat's off to you guys.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Dan M"Someone should make this thread a Sticky so we can just point people here when they come along and whinge when we tell them that it's critical to have the correct tyres on the car. Proof and pudding, as it were.

Funnily enough I was thinking the same  s:D :D s:D  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

It's not a bad idea, if we make the op anonymous. But as Darkday says, most people just don't take advice.

Anonymous

If enough roadsters go to the scrappers early it should bring the price of 2nd hand parts right down and push the price of the remaining cars up a bit,lets hope.

digress

That looks a sore one.

It will def be a write off, no doubt about it, and you certainly want it to be regardless of a 5yr warranty for the repairs.

If you want to get the best price for your car you have to be proactive.

Get online and find similar roadsters with comparable levels of age, mileage, spec factor in the exhaust, seats etc.

And I'd be wary of hauling stuff off it, some insurance companies can get sniffy about such things.

Talk your car up and remember it's not just a case of getting what's it's worth but also what it will cost to replace the car like for like.

My first roadster was written off a month after I had it (although in very different circumstances) and i got a great price by proving the market value for a replacement plus factoring in the costs involved for travelling to get it etc.

I

Anonymous

mind if i ask what happened yours disgress??

also, am i right in assuming that the insurance company WONT in any circumstances pay more than i have given as the value of the car??

for example the cheapest mr2 roadster within a 40 mile radius of me is an 01 blue, 4,695 no hard top (overpriced i know but cars here in NI are always dearer)

cheers

also, about stickying this so people will know that right tyres are be all and end all - fact is no one knows what caused it; i did say it before, but the road it happened on is EXTREMELY greasy in places, although to be fair i never thought the corner it happened on was but who knows

and also im not entirely happy about being made an example of

ChrisGB

Quote from: "djbenny1"also, am i right in assuming that the insurance company WONT in any circumstances pay more than i have given as the value of the car??

The insurance company cover your for replacement of the car, not your declared value or purchase price. You need to provide objective evidence to them that demonstrates the cost to you of replacing the car, so find adverts for cars with similar mileage and age, trim level etc and aim for that plus your sourcing costs.

Quote from: "djbenny1"also, about stickying this so people will know that right tyres are be all and end all - fact is no one knows what caused it; i did say it before, but the road it happened on is EXTREMELY greasy in places, although to be fair i never thought the corner it happened on was but who knows

and also Im not entirely happy about being made an example of

Know what you mean about being made an example of. I think that lots of people here have read countless threads about matching tyres and how critical it is on this type of car. I have been on this board for a few years now and every month sees the same advice being given and often ignored. With names removed, this could serve to actually get the message across to people. I know we will never know what caused the loss of control, but the MR2 on matched tyres has a tendency to understeer rather than swing its tail, so it is most likey going to be either tyres or too much gas too early.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

darkday

Quotetoo much gas too early.
I would have said letting off the gas myself. I think if he gave it too much gas it would either understeer or give some oversteer but still be controlable. OR maybe it was too much gas then letting off...

Anonymous

thats reassuring about them having to replace the car, but i have a new question then;

if i demonstrate how much it will cost me to replace the mr2, say (for example only) we both agree it will cost 4000 to replace my car; do they then make sure that i go and buy an mr2 with that?? do they maybe buy an mr2 for me? or do they give me the money and am i free to buy anything??

i am actually really shaken up by it like, but its like i said, if i had crashed going too fast, id know

although i am thinking you may be right, i may have gone into the corner at x speed, and the back end slid out, but after that im not sure how i tried to control it (more throttle/less throttle/same) but obviously it wasnt the right choice and its totally because of my lack of experience i.m.o.

Tags: