Wow :)

Started by JiMR2, July 27, 2009, 00:08

JiMR2

Hi All,

Following on from my previous post this time last week,  l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26019 l  , I have now got my MR2 Roadster, picked up yesterday!  s:) :) s:)

And i must admit, i haven't been able to stop smiling since i got in it - and haven't wanted to stop driving it either!!! I cannot believe just how much fun it is driving it around, every thing about it is amazing  s:) :) s:)  so much more than just a car! (Sad i know... simple things eh  s:) :) s:) )

Had a great weekend worth of weather as well, so totted up a nice 200 miles in less than 24hrs!  s:) :) s:)  The "boot" / engine lid seemed to be increrdibly hot after a while - i assume this is normal, i had been doing a fair bit of driving by this point...

Quick bit of advice needed, i got my mr2 from Toyota w/ service/mot etc, but I'm temepted to get it tuned just to make sure that it is really ticking over just right - am i being over the top and just assume that its running as best  it can? Theres nothing wrong with it to make me think it needs it, just want to look after the new love of my life and give it all the TLC i can!  s:) :) s:)

Thanks guys!

Jim
AKA Cinnamon Jim

spit

yay Jim   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  Glad you're enjoying it.

The car's ECU takes care of the tune based on various parameters. If your service schedule is up to date, all should be well.

The '2 does like running on V-Power or equivalent higher RON stuff - you might want to give that a try. A dose of injector cleaner in the fuel is also handy to make sure you're getting a clean squirt.

Alongside watching your fluids, check tyre condition and pressures regularly - even a half-psi drift from recommended can seriously affect your enjoyment.

Other than that, have a good scout around the forums for do's, don'ts and spends  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Enjoy.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ChrisGB

Quote from: "JiMR2"Hi All,

Following on from my previous post this time last week,  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26019 m  , I have now got my MR2 Roadster, picked up yesterday!  s:) :) s:)

And i must admit, i haven't been able to stop smiling since i got in it - and haven't wanted to stop driving it either!!! I cannot believe just how much fun it is driving it around, every thing about it is amazing  s:) :) s:)  so much more than just a car! (Sad i know... simple things eh  s:) :) s:) )

Had a great weekend worth of weather as well, so totted up a nice 200 miles in less than 24hrs!  s:) :) s:)  The "boot" / engine lid seemed to be increrdibly hot after a while - i assume this is normal, i had been doing a fair bit of driving by this point...

Quick bit of advice needed, i got my mr2 from Toyota w/ service/mot etc, but I'm temepted to get it tuned just to make sure that it is really ticking over just right - am i being over the top and just assume that its running as best  it can? Theres nothing wrong with it to make me think it needs it, just want to look after the new love of my life and give it all the TLC i can!  s:) :) s:)

Thanks guys!

Jim

Good to hear you are enjoying the car. They are addictive little buggers and you will probably find yourself going out for a drive just because you can  s8) 8) s8)  

As for getting it "tuned" there are no user adjustments you or a dealer can make to the standard car. The engine management runs it to a self tune for idling and part throttle running, so should be near optimal all the time. Only things I would suggest are make sure the tyre pressures are right (these cars are sensitive to them), make sure the tyres are right (correct sizes and all same make and model on all corners) and replace the air filter more often than Toyota recommend.

EDIT: Yes the engine cover gets hot. After a good thrashing on a hot day the whole rear end of the car can get very hot!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

enid_b

i want my 2 back. all these new members just getting into it. makes me sad.

welcome along
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

roger

Good to hear you have the bug, Jim.

As said you cannot tune the OEM car, but you can add a Unichip (or similar) fairly cheaply, and then get a tuner to max out the standard parameters to give you a bit more of what you want.

And wait until you take out the drip tray - the engine lid gets even hotter!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: