A cheats way to a tasty metallic grille

Started by Anonymous, June 24, 2003, 00:52

Anonymous

Just incase anyones' been considering getting a chrome grille.... I've found an effective and cheap way of getting sorted.

I found that chrome wire grille and pressed metal sheeting didn't have the "right" look, so I've used Plastikote Chrome paint (available from Halfords, Wilkos etc) on the stock plastic grille and it has worked a treat!

I'll post a pic next time!

Jap GT300

Are you going to show us some pictures!

markiii

You do know tihs isn't the nova board don't you  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

hahaha... that's great!  had me in howls of laughter!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

next i'll be putting sticking on dodgy fibre glass bonnet scoops and painting my car in primer white / grey  s:D :D s:D

pictures will be posted this weekend...

Anonymous

comon where the pic's LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   when you say the mesh didnt look right why was that???

And i was thinking of getting mesh but wasnt to sure on how to mount it on the inside of the bumper? any help there guys?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris

the grills from pelican racing use zip ties to hold them on.  Don't know about any other ones, but similar i suspect...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Buster"And i was thinking of getting mesh but wasnt to sure on how to mount it on the inside of the bumper? any help there guys?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I made my own grille. This way I could take my time to make sure everything was exactly right and I was able to use the original screws and mounting points.

Peter

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Buster"And i was thinking of getting mesh but wasnt to sure on how to mount it on the inside of the bumper? any help there guys?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I made my own grille. This way I could take my time to make sure everything was exactly right and I was able to use the original screws and mounting points.

Peter

What using just noraml mesh and cutting it to correct size and using the hole in the mesh to screw throught into the bumper !   s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"....when you say the mesh didnt look right why was that???...

have you seen the "mesh" you can get down at Halfords?  It'll definitely make the car look like a Nova if I installed one of those!

Reason why I didn't go down the wire mesh route was that I was kind worried about it falling apart.... granted maybe I should spent more time investigating.

Anonymous

How do you get that front grille to "pop" out to apply the paint?

Certainly like the sound of simply spray painting the existing grille, rather than replacing it with a mesh effort.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Parslad"How do you get that front grille to "pop" out to apply the paint?
It a right paint in the arse as it's attached by screw on the rear side.  It's easy if you take the bumper off, if you don't you have to have small hands to get to the back vie the bonnet catch.

Quote from: "Parslad"Certainly like the sound of simply spray painting the existing grille, rather than replacing it with a mesh effort.
I think this might look a bit naff IMHO, perhaps anyone who has any pictures of this done could post them?...

--H--

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Hardcore"[It a right paint in the arse as it's attached by screw on the rear side.  It's easy if you take the bumper off, if you don't you have to have small hands to get to the back vie the bonnet catch.

Take the bumper off???

Ok I know my site hasn't been updated for ages but have a look at  w www.MR2roadster.net w . On the menu go to "Modifications to my car" => "Exterior" => "Chrome Front Grille"

It shows in detail how I made and attached mine (without taking off the bumper or going does the back via the bonnet catch) with lots of photos.

Peter

Anonymous

On mine all the screws that held the original plastic grille in place were screwed in from the 'inside the bumper' side and there was therefore no way to get a screw driver to them from the front of the car!

--H--

Peter Laborne

Then go to the picture where it shows me disconecting the bumper from the under panel. This will give you the room needed to fit your arm in and locate the screws.

Anonymous

True, the reason I took my bumper off was I got a grille that needed the bumper off to attach properly with the metal mounts.

It's not a big job by any stretch.

--H--

Anonymous

Sorry guys, I've been working away from home (and my beloved car) so I've not put any pics of my cheapo grille.  Will do once I get a chance.  Hopefully, if this weekend is good, there'll be sufficient light for some decent pics.

Hardcore, seems like you're having a hard time getting your plastic grill off?!  Yes, space is tight, but you can get the screws out by using a stubble little philips screw driver or if you have a small socket set.  There should be eight screws and three plastic sections.  The middle section is easy to remove.  There are two screws at the top of the LHS / RHS sections and one at the bottom.  After the screws have been report, use a flat head screwdriver to pop out the clips that hold the grille in.

Good luck!

Anonymous

I did my front grille a fair old while back.  I didn't really have any problems, it was just a bit fiddly (like everything else on the '2!).

Thanks for the pointers anyway, I'm sure others will find them useful.

--H--

Anonymous

Sorry guys for keeping those interested waiting!  I've finally got some pics of my Nova with the metallic grille!

I know it's cheap and nasty and lacking in detail - but hey, Mr T fitted it as standard... so why not in a different colour?!

Bummer.... just found out I can't upload pics to the forum and I don't have a webpage yet!  Can anyone help?

Martin

Tags: