"Slightly" random question...

Started by JiMR2, August 7, 2009, 18:03

JiMR2

I have run a search on this query but didn't come up with quite what im looking for... lots of pre-cat queries and roof queries...

Ok, so i came home from work today to find my cat lounging on the roof of my '2. Right in the middle.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I have only had my '2 for over 2 or 3 weeks now so maybe this is me over-reacting but this has lead me to feel quite distressed. My cat weighs just over a stone and i can't help but think that letting him lay on the roof will only lead to bad things happening - to both the car and the cat.

So i calmly walked past into my house and got a bottle of water, exited my house and threw the water over the cat, and inevitably, the car -  which then lead to some choice words.

How can i prevent my oh so precious cat from getting drowned because if i find him on the roof again, i fear this will happen. So more to the point, how can i prevent vermin such as cats and small children, from sleeping and lounging on my '2s roof?

I have checked Toyota's manual to no avail. So other than anti-pidgeon strips covering the roof like something out of mad max, i'm not sure how to correct this over-sight on Toyota's part.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
AKA Cinnamon Jim

JudoKilli

I too has this problem, and my cat likes to dig his claws into anything he finds...so gets quite annoying. I think he's leart now that he shouldn't go on my car....otherwise he gets a squirt from a water gun...

Anonymous

You need one pair of work gloves, one hessian sack, some large stones, tie wrap and a nearby river.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Or buy a garage.
Seriously, can you not spray cat repellent around the car?

loadswine

Brilliant Craig! laughed a lot at that.
Seriously, if it continues to be a problem, how about a cover that you could also spray with some kind of repellant as well, if the cover itself didn't deter the moggy.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

One cat and child repellant.

enid_b

put some ground black pepper on your roof.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

gavw71

I've got a .177 Air Arms with a silencer fitted - it's a sure thing out to about 25 yards!  s:D :D s:D
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

enid_b

Quote from: "gavw71"I've got a .177 Air Arms with a silencer fitted - it's a sure thing out to about 25 yards!  s:D :D s:D

nice idea, but if your aim is even a little out, you are looking at some expensive vent holes in your roof, or new windows?
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

DannyN

Quote from: "enid_b"
Quote from: "gavw71"I've got a .177 Air Arms with a silencer fitted - it's a sure thing out to about 25 yards!  s:D :D s:D

nice idea, but if your aim is even a little out, you are looking at some expensive vent holes in your roof, or new windows?

"hey look at my cheao a/c mod - added bonus, no cats!!!"
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Gif

Buy second MR2 just for cat to sit on   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Well it would be a good excuse!
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

StuM

Not had an issue with cats, but:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21017&p=260329#p260329

That led to me leaving it with the hard top on a lot of the time - not half as comfy for him!

Another approach I tried was a cover, but putting a few bits and bobs (eg. empty ice cream tubs!) on the roof before putting the cover on - also seemed to work!
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

uktotty

My neighbours dog decided to eat the food left out for the barbecue, so I found this was the ideal solution.
Just mix it with some autoglym and you will have a black shiny roof and no cat.

uktotty

If he comes back, use this

roger

Our cat also has a penchant for the roof if we leave the garage door open or even when the car is outside.

I'm more worried about how he gets up and down, but he does seem to do that with his claws in - presumably got R888s for paws   s:D :D s:D  

Never seems to have done any damage, either to the bodywork or the roof BUT a big tip - don't frighten him off. That's when the claws do come out, and damage may ensue. So using water, loud noises etc is IMO a no no.

Pick him off gently, remind him that he shouldn't go there, repeating the exercise every 5 minutes thereafter.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

celmacmat

Both my cats like to sleep on the roof especially if the car has been parked in the sun and it is nice and warm.

As long as they don't dig they claw in, the roof is in my opinion sturdy enough to support weight of the cats.

Better be because they tend to junp on the roof of the car from the roof of the garage !   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

uktotty

Quote from: "celmacmat"Both my cats like to sleep on the roof especially if the car has been parked in the sun and it is nice and warm.

As long as they don't dig they claw in, the roof is in my opinion sturdy enough to support weight of the cats.

Better be because they tend to junp on the roof of the car from the roof of the garage !   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

and she lives in a 10th story flat!

celmacmat

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "celmacmat"Both my cats like to sleep on the roof especially if the car has been parked in the sun and it is nice and warm.

and she lives in a 10th story flat!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

JiMR2

Thanks for the tips and advice guys, so far its either;

air rifle
hesian sack + bucket of water  
  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  extra hot chilli sauce
rottweiler
black pepper
a second mr2
gently lift and remind
a cover with ice cream tubs underneath

I *think* I'm going to try the cover with items beneath it... be like a game at a school fate...

cheers guys!  s:) :) s:)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

BlackSabel

I had the same problem when i bought with the cat next door. The old lady said to leave some 'orange peel' on the roof as it has some kind of repellant......Worked for me !!
BlackSabel 2003 , Leather interior, TTE Twin Exhaust, Hard Top, Precats gutted, Dev's Keyhole cover, Jspec Black Nose Badge, Apexi Induction Kit, TTE Banana Spoiler, Rear Spats, Toyo TR1's Proxes, Silver Calipers with SteveJ 'MR2' decals, Cusco front strut brace, trd Short Shifter, Speedsource bushings. Mongos with spyder decals. 7" touch screen double din.

Tags: