Tyre Trauma

Started by w00dhead, August 11, 2009, 11:44

w00dhead

Having looked over a few posts I'm regarding tyres I'm more confused than ever...

I've a '03 with standard 15" front and 16" rear wheels. Had it since end of June and really happy with it; top down whenever I can and feels great to drive, or rather it did...

When I got it I noticed that the rear tyres were on their way out so would need replacing but this came to a head over the weekend when I noticed a 3" gash on the tread that was right down to the canvas. Not knowing too much about tyres (and this may become more apparent as you read on) and needing a quick fix, I took it to an large independent tyre fitters (friend of friend, cash prices but very reputable with large stock) and came away a set of Goodyear 215/40 on the rear.  I'm now getting vibrations when on the motorway. Previously it was rock solid

Having looked on the Toyota website I'm guessing that at 40, the Goodyear are too small. I've still got the original Pirelli 185/55 on the front.  Before the Goodyear it had a set of Bridgestones on the rear but not sure what size....
Had a look in the Toyota web site that says the car came as standard with 185/55 front and 215/45 rear. I'm planning on keep the standard wheels, so is this the best set up or is there a better combination for the standard wheels?

Suffice to say I'm going back to see the boys who fitted the Goodyear tonight to get them changed. I note the comments on the forums about getting the same make of tyres in all four corners but the fronts will have to wait until pay day

Previous post looked to get a bit heated. I'm just looking from some friendly advise here please......

loadswine

Sorry to hear of your problems. You already said you know the importance of not mixing tyre types, which is paramount to your safety, so that's useful. Please take it like a granny till payday then.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
I can't see why the 40 aspect ratio on the rears would give you vibration, it would have a slightly smaller rolling radius, so speedo might be less accurate than before.
See what the tyre chaps can do to bring things back to original spec if you can.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

StuM

Hi and welcome,

Getting the vibes could be a sign that the wheel hasn't been balanced properly, get them to check.  You should really get the OEM size if you can though.

When I bought mine it came with original Bridgestones on the front and brand new Hankooks on the rear.  It used to tramline horribly on the motorway, the handling generally felt 'off'.  A set of Toyo T1Rs all round later and the car was transformed.

As above, the main issue with mixing tyres is one of safety - which in turn is why the topic gets heated - the advice is given to help and (as with that other thread) was ignored and thrown back.  I agree with loadswine - take it VERY easy until you can match up the four.

Regards,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

markiii

more likely to be a wheel balancing issue than anything else
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

w00dhead

Thanks everybody....

I'm getting vibes when hit 65/70mph. Its not terrible but certainly not as it was or as it should be. I do mainly m/way miles on a daily basis

Assumuming the balancing prob is fixed, if I keep the 40 on the back should I still get 55 on the front or if they do replace, should I stick with the standard 45 on the rear...??? I'm inclined to get our the plastic and get all 4 corners fixed this afternoon

I just want to keep my car happy in the hope it will return the favour

markiii

I doubt you will get F1s in 185/55/15
from memory teh nearest is 195/50/15
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

I was getting wheel shake pretty badly recently thinking it was down to balancing issues, check your tyre pressures. Try raising it if low, should aim for around 30 psi I think fronts 26
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

I'm currently running Goodyear F1's all round, the back size is correct for Goodyear but it does give you an 9mm drop in height, I did have 195 50 15" on the front but the cars handling was not as good as it caused the car to start drifting at high speed. So I've changed the fronts to 195 45 15" reducing the front by 8mm - now the car feels like it did before - spot on.

It's first class advice to have all the same make / tread pattern on the car, you will be surprized how much difference the car handles with the smallest of changes and not always for the good.

Rob.

w00dhead

Quote from: "FGRob"I'm currently running Goodyear F1's all round, the back size is correct for Goodyear but it does give you an 9mm drop in height, I did have 195 50 15" on the front but the cars handling was not as good as it caused the car to start drifting at high speed. So I've changed the fronts to 195 45 15" reducing the front by 8mm - now the car feels like it did before - spot on.

It's first class advice to have all the same make / tread pattern on the car, you will be surprized how much difference the car handles with the smallest of changes and not always for the good.

Rob.

Hi Rob, so have yo got the same size as mine on the rear now - 215/40? What pressure have you got it set at. I'm about to take a trip to the garage and check may PSI and take it for a run to see if that solves the vibes

Anonymous

Quote from: "w00dhead"Hi Rob, so have yo got the same size as mine on the rear now - 215/40? What pressure have you got it set at. I'm about to take a trip to the garage and check may PSI and take it for a run to see if that solves the vibes

Yep exact same size, I'm running 32psi on the back and 26psi on the front. They are a great gripping tyre good cornering at speed. No problem with the side wall - it's not big enough  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Rob.

Tags: