Ford Puma and Roadster related?

Started by Jap GT300, February 16, 2004, 14:06

Jap GT300

Apparently so.  I was wondering if someone on board owns a Ford Puma and could possibly check this out.

While doing my engine transfer I notice on the side of both the 1ZZ and 2ZZ that they are cast with YAMAHA on the pulley side of them.  When my mechanic was changing them I raised this and he said that it was very common for Yamaha to supply the big end of many of the engines available to manufacturers.  He told me that this was the same engine as used in the Ford Puma.

Does anyone know what hp output the puma 1.8 gives.  I was talking to him about the racing puma and he said this gives an output of 189hp (maybe the 2zz).

Strange!

markiii

odd, I though it was teh top end that yamaha ha done?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

The 1zz (and all the other Xzz engines) was (IIRC) an in-house development by Toyota, so unlikely to have found it's way across the pond to Ford, but stranger things have been known to happen.....   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Well the standard puma appears to be 1.7, and 123bhp.

Info from: http://www.clemente.co.uk/puma/html/specification.htm

Anonymous

IIRC the 1.8 puma is around 115bhp, the racing is around 135bhp.

<edit>nice one phil, they are 1.7 i forgot. the Racing Puma is only 20bhp more than stock so its no where near 190bhp</edit>

markiii

well ford share a lot of engines with Mazda (Since ford bought them out) so if Yamaha do work for Mazda I can see the connection, but I doubt it would be the same engine.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

good olde parkers settles the debate

(car - Engine - BHP - Speed - 0-60 - insurance)

1.7i 16V 3d (97-02) - 1679/4 - 123 - 126 - 9.2 - 12
1.7i 16V Ford Racing 3d (99-00) - 1679/4 - 152 - 126 - 7.9 - 15

Jap GT300

You can barely see the marking in this picture, but it is definately big end.

m http://www.gt-international.com/MR2ROC/2zz_engines.JPG m  

So it isn't puma related then.  I wonder if it was used in anything else?

aaronjb

Erm.. isn't that on the head? (top end, as Mark said)

Either that or the 2zz has a very short head.. But that logo does appear to be above/in line with the intake/exhaust ports, which would mean the head was cast by Yamaha.. The bottom end may not have been..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

i have a puma 1.7 which has 123bhp. The engine was co-develped with yamaha. the racing puma, (still a 1.7) gives out exactly 158bhp.

whoever said the puma had a 1.8 is talking out of their arse

Jap GT300

Possible miss understanding as he is a Vauxhall Mechanic.  He was right about the Yamaha part.

It is definately the big end.  These engines do have small heads.  I have one sitting in my bedroom!

markiii

why?

thinking of getting rid?

GSB

s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

Hang on, I'm confused  s:? :? s:?  ...

Big end: Part of Connecting rod that connects to Crankshaft.
Top end: General part of engine comprising cylinder head, and valvegear.

Yamaha have done a lot of development work for Ford in the last few years, and take on a lot of the manufacturing of engines for them as well.

Yamaha actually developed the head for the Puma 1.7 engine, as its was Fords first foray into variable valve timing. Other than that the 2 engines are different beasts. Yamaha dont just deal in parts either, they also produce the entire 1.25l Fiesta Engine for Ford.

Yamaha cylinder head design work has found its way into an awful lot of other cars as well, including the Toyota. The simple reason being that between them Yamaha and Honda have got the technology of variable valve timing pretty well sewn up in terms of patents, and Yamaha are the only ones that are really willing to license the technology out to other manufacturers. Its cheaper to buy a license from Yamaha than it is to invent a new way of doing things that hasnt been patented yet.

(too many engineering supplements in this power station - I really should be normal and read the Sun instead...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

mph

Yamaha designed (or at least tuned) the 2ZZ head. HTH.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

My understanding that much of the 2ZZ development work was carried out by Yamaha for Toyota on the 2ZZ, including the MMC bore lining.  I also understood that they had a hand or several in the Ford 1.7 engine as in the Puma.

hth
Andy

Tem

AFAIK, Yamaha has done all -GE heads for Toyota over the years, starting from the 2T-GE from the 70's...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

my mums got a puma what am i looking for and i will have a look   s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"AFAIK, Yamaha has done all -GE heads for Toyota over the years, starting from the 2T-GE from the 70's...

apperantly they started working together in '67, and Toyota is now 2nd biggest owner of Yamaha (after Yamaha Corp) with 5.45% stake in Yamaha. Recently they started a bigger push of Yamaha branded products in Toyota cars (in the USA, you can see Yamaha branded suspension and bracing parts in newer cars, such as Corolla XRS, 4Runner, etc).

Tags: