Shouldered vs. plain studs?

Started by aaronjb, August 24, 2009, 15:20

aaronjb

One for the engineering genii (geniuses?) in here..

I want to replace the manifold studs when the turbo manifold goes back on, and it seems a nightmare to find 'shouldered' studs of the right length (i.e. longer than stock), but easy to find 'plain' studs that are threaded all the way down..

Now my question is - if I use plain studs that are long enough to seat on the back of the threaded hole in the head, will that cause a problem vs. shouldered studs that seat the plain 'shoulder' against the face of the head?

Either that or does anyone have a handy supplier of studs?  s:) :) s:)  (IIRC they're M8x1.25, 25mm long end and about half that on the short end)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

I can;t see a real issue using ones that are threaded along their whole length tbh, but I would also prefer shouldered ones

last lot I got from TommYD who located a batch

no idea where he got them from

would these do?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MANIFOLD-STUDS-M8 ... 286.c0.m14 m
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Man I must have been suffering from massive eBay FAIL when I was looking earlier!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  (Assuming they're x1.25, not x1.5 of course)

I'll go stand in the corner with a pointy hat on   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Thanks!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"I can;t see a real issue using ones that are threaded along their whole length tbh, but I would also prefer shouldered ones

Many say the shoulder is there just to make sure ppl thread it deep enough without touching the bottom. I can't think of any other reason myself, so I've taken their word for it. Especially with aftermarket headers, where the shoulder isn't big enough to stop the stud undoing itself anyway. Not sure if it does with the stock manifold.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Reading what you said there Tem prompted me to think - I suppose threading it to the bottom of the hole is bad if the stud expands faster than the host metal, you could conceivably 'punch through' if the metal is thin there, or crack the head.. I hadn't thought of that possibility earlier  s:) :) s:)

Pretty sure those 45mm studs Mark pointed out are long enough, so I'll grab a set of those for when I re-fit the TS header.

markiii

can you order me a couple of sets as well please bud
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Yup - will do  s:) :) s:)

Tags: