RoadAngel hard at work >;)

Started by Hope4Sun, February 17, 2004, 20:25

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"RA said I was doing 30 mph, my speedo says I am doing 34, so which do I believe, I am leaning towards RA as you are being tracked so surely that is the more accurate figure??

My Satnav system says the same, reckons the speedo is overreading by 4-5mph.

I reckon it's all a big conspiracy to make us drive more slowly and make cars feel faster  s:) :) s:)

Hope4Sun

Thats about right Liz, it was about 4 miles out on the Porker and is up to 5 miles out in the Sklyline, i found it gets slightly more accurate when your going at a constant 60+, taking into account it takes a second to update.

No camera has gone off with me using the RA as my speedo yet, infact i tend to use it all the time as my speedo now   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Liz

I can see that I will using it as my speedo!! Get a few extra mph going. Thanks for the original post on this Andy, and for making me spend £315.00!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Humble Jim

Liz

How do you find it affects how much you can see out of the windscreen. Not the pod thing so much but the laser detector. Some/not at all?
H&S Exhaust

Liz

I will take a piccy later, managed to get the pod on the right on the dashboard and it is out of the way and neat, didn't like the thing that sticks on the windscreen, bit messy looking, pod is ok as well, think I have got it positioned ok. Will take pictures and see what you think.

Liz

Piccies, maybe someone can let me know if the laser thingy is in the right position!!?

m http://uk.msnusers.com/LizMyers/shoebox.msnw?Page=2 m

Hope4Sun

Hi Liz, looks great, i would recommend the laser senso be hanging completly striaght down and maybe a little higher if you want it to pick up lasers from behind as well? you can get another sensor for about £30 which plugs into the main one though  s:) :) s:)

I did try mine up in front of my rear view mirror, but think this may be too high for the a laser being pointed at the car?

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

If you make the RA sit on the non-slip mat and you have the hood down on the car does it fly off or is it stable (if you get what I mean?)

Or has no-one tried this yet as its too frigging cold...   s:) :) s:)  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Liz

I am going to mount mine with the dual lock grips that are supplied with it, its like posh velcro and nothing is going to move that!

Anonymous

Yaaaay posh velcro rules...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Humble Jim

Looks good Liz, and pictures are done well. Very neat, I like the main pod being sited to the right like that in a natural slightly lower section of the dash.
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

Liz

I recently re-wired my Bluei set and discovered that there is a gap at the front of the dash through which you can feed cables. You need to get on your back and slide under the steering wheel and look up to the left and you should glimse daylight.

The following link should give an idea of where it is. It is reasonaly long but narrow. I was able to run three cables through and it would probably help if someone is there to grab the cable as you feed it through from below but I did manage by myself. I then routed the power cable across to the head unit and down to the ciggy lighter.

http://www.apbw47.dsl.pipex.com/cables.jpg

Liz

Thanks for that, in fact where the pillar comes down and meets the dash on mine is loose, so should be even more daylight coming through!    Ideally I would like it wired into the ignition circuit, but I am not allowed near wire cutters  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , Definiately going to have a go at that tomorrow as it is alot neater looking, thank you again.

Liz

Weird thing happened with the RA yesterday, I was coming out of a petrol station and had to be at a bit of a strange angle due to an incoming lorry, I knew that there was a large kerb at the exit so I thought I would adjust the nearside mirror down so I could see that I was going to miss it (yes a woman did think of doing this  s:!: :!: s:!:  )...anyway, must emit some sort of signal cos the RA starts flashing like a mad thing saying that there was a mobile camera nearby..I tried this as I went along the road and it did the same. Anyone else had this?

My car is at Mr T at the moment - have asked them to wire it into the ignition, we shall see what happens!

Humble Jim

If the main pod is sited on the dash very near to the mirror being adjusted, perhaps it is picking up some sort of RF interference off the motor moving the mirror? I'd expect the thing to be shielded against such but close proximity might mean spurious signals are getting in that way? This is only speculation, Liz, as I don't own one. Does it do it for the passenger side mirror too?
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Weird thing happened with the RA yesterday, I was coming out of a petrol station and had to be at a bit of a strange angle due to an incoming lorry, I knew that there was a large kerb at the exit so I thought I would adjust the nearside mirror down so I could see that I was going to miss it (yes a woman did think of doing this  s:!: :!: s:!:  )...anyway, must emit some sort of signal cos the RA starts flashing like a mad thing saying that there was a mobile camera nearby..I tried this as I went along the road and it did the same. Anyone else had this?

My car is at Mr T at the moment - have asked them to wire it into the ignition, we shall see what happens!

OB2 does this too - flashes "laser" on screen.  You get used to it.

Liz

It was the nearside that I was adjusting, no problem, just made me jump thats all!

Anonymous

Folks

I've just bought a RoadAngel from PCmediastore for £319.99

m http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/id=69080946&ssPageName=L2 m

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Liz

I have been advised that as the cigar lighter plug has an LED light on this means it has an in-built transformer knocking the power down to 3.5 volts. I presume that if your dealer cuts off the plug and wires it into a fused connection this could knacker the Road Angel by using 12 volts.

Have you had it done yet? If so, what did they do?

Regards
  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Liz

No they ignored me when I asked, so I am leaving it as it is, I have tucked all the wires away so it looks neat enough now.

Haven't come across a mobile or average yet which is disappointing!

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "Liz"RA said I was doing 30 mph, my speedo says I am doing 34, so which do I believe, I am leaning towards RA as you are being tracked so surely that is the more accurate figure??

My Satnav system says the same, reckons the speedo is overreading by 4-5mph.

I reckon it's all a big conspiracy to make us drive more slowly and make cars feel faster  s:) :) s:)

By design speedos read fast. You can check this Liz (!) The (eu?) law states that they must not display a speed slower than the actual speed but can read upto 10% fast. This following is from my Santa Fe, (sorry the formatting isnt so good)

Velocity     Tolerance (Km/ h)
20             20.8-25.4
40             40-44
60             60.8-65.4
80             81.4-86.8
100           102.6-108.2
120           123.5-129.6
140           144.4-151
160           165.4-172.4
180           186.3-193.8
200           207.2-215.2

Velocity Tolerance (MPH)
10             10-12.5
20             20-22
40             40-42.6
60             60-63.4
80             80.3-84.1
100            100.3-104.7
120            120.3-125.3

SteveJ

Quote from: "Roger H"Liz

I have been advised that as the cigar lighter plug has an LED light on this means it has an in-built transformer knocking the power down to 3.5 volts. I presume that if your dealer cuts off the plug and wires it into a fused connection this could knacker the Road Angel by using 12 volts.

Have you had it done yet? If so, what did they do?

Regards

Not sure who told you that, but I can assure you the LED does NOT indicate the adaptor has a transformer (for the non-technical members, a transformer requires AC [Alternating Current NOT Air Conditioning!] wheras the power in the car is 12V DC, so it would contain a voltage regulator) or that the output is 3.5V

The only way to ascertain the output voltage of the adaptor is using a multimeter, but given that a hard-wiring kit is available for the the Road Angel, I would suspect that it feeds on raw 12V and has a regulator to reduce the voltage internally.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"No they ignored me when I asked, so I am leaving it as it is, I have tucked all the wires away so it looks neat enough now.

Went into central london the other week and found my first specs - through a tunnel!  The B2 worked quite well, it told me about the specs, then it must have known it was going into a tunnel (no signal) as it stayed on showing specs until I got out of the tunnel.  

Had to laugh as I did a nice 30 all the way through and watched people over and undertaking me and braking at the lines...oh how silly.

I presume yours will operate the same as the B2 for specs - very clever aint it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"
Quote from: "Liz"No they ignored me when I asked, so I am leaving it as it is, I have tucked all the wires away so it looks neat enough now.

Went into central london the other week and found my first specs - through a tunnel!  The B2 worked quite well, it told me about the specs, then it must have known it was going into a tunnel (no signal) as it stayed on showing specs until I got out of the tunnel.  

Had to laugh as I did a nice 30 all the way through and watched people over and undertaking me and braking at the lines...oh how silly.

I presume yours will operate the same as the B2 for specs - very clever aint it.

I hit some specs last Thursday on the M6 north bound in Manchester during the temp 40mph limit. The B2 saved me as there is no way I would have spotted them  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

SteveJ

Thanks for the response. According to the AC power adapter the DC regulator in the cigar lighter plug will reduce the 12v to 9v.

Cheers

Tags: