Belt Tensioner fix - paying for it yourself!

Started by Anonymous, February 19, 2004, 11:03

Anonymous

Just got my car back from the garage last night, and thought I'd post some prices for fixing your belt tensioner out of warranty!!

Initially I was quoted approx £100 for the tensioner, + £45 for the Belt +VAT, + Labour - this came to £230.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

After complaining to the service manager that it was only 2 months out of warranty and had been making that noise for ages, he got in touch with Toyota Customer Relations, who agreed to pay 50% of the Tensioner part cost.. their best offer.

Admittedly a new belt wasn't strictly necessary, but while the old one was off the car, it seemed sensible to put a new one back on.

The grand total was £170!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

So my advice is to try and get yours changed before the warranty expires, as apparently the part has been redesigned twice since the car was launched!

markiii

change it your self, it's not that hard.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"approx £100 for the tensioner

It's the bearing that fails, but Toyota only had the full tensioner assembly as a spare part. I'm sure you can get a bearing for it from "bearingshop". Do the job yourself and it should be less than £10 (without new belt).
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Yeah, I know, could have probably taken a look at it myself, but just don't have the tools or the time to tinker with it myself.. plus it's in almost constant use!

Talking of bearings actually.. if anyone's interested in saving me more money...!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   I also need a new OSF wheel bearing fitted! The part is about £130 + VAT.. but it's 2 hours labour apparently!

Yet more expense...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Tim.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"approx £100 for the tensioner

It's the bearing that fails, but Toyota only had the full tensioner assembly as a spare part. I'm sure you can get a bearing for it from "bearingshop". Do the job yourself and it should be less than £10 (without new belt).

There was a video posted on SC a while ago (can someone help out with the link?) that showed what happens when the noise occurs - the belt tensioner seems to vibrate at a particular resonant frequency, and this was being caused by the damper in the tensioner unit failing - not the bearing.

TTE hinted at it being a possible problem when we met them in November (although they also had additional problems with the unit's plastic coating getting melted by radiant heat from the turbo   s:? :? s:?  )

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"caused by the damper in the tensioner unit failing - not the bearing

In my case the bearing had failed.

The mechanic also had two similar parts from Corolla and Avensis in the shop, both with failed bearing. He said that the ones that are fixed under warranty have to be sent back to Toyota, but the ones that customer pays would normally end up in trash...he said that instead he takes them for himself, replaces the bearing and sells for half the price of new  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Had this go on mine a few weeks back.  I was getting round to taking it in to Mr T to fix under warranty and the Power Steering went as well!

Thank god for warranties as the tensioner plus a P/S vain pump plus labour came in at a cool £990.

I had to pay for a new belt for the tensioner but this only cost me £40 all in and all done within 2 days.  

If you are are in the Manchester/Salford area check out RRG Salford Quays (just down the road from MUFC old trafford) as I couldn't fault their service.

Tags: