Move the Alarm Sounder

Started by roger, September 29, 2009, 14:32

roger

Don't know quite why it came about, but Jason (muffdan) moved his alarm sounder out of the inside of the frunk box onto the outside. It looked good so I did as well!

Apart from at least doubling the alarm sound (as I found out when I threw something into the alarmed car), it allows you to turn your spare wheel upside down and gain more storage space.

The position we found ideal was one bolt hole 12cm immediately below the left hand fixing hole, offer up the alarm bracket (U shape to the top edge), then make the second hole where required, and bolt in.

There may be some effect of having it out of the frunk (water, road rubbish etc.), but time will tell.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

I also did mine, however check for fans on the radiators as that 12cm is a bit tight with fans and stuff!

custardavenger

Roger, I think thanks should go to Ian (E) as it was him who inspired it.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

roger

Quote from: "uktotty"I also did mine, however check for fans on the radiators as that 12cm is a bit tight with fans and stuff!

I'll check - seemed OK at the time.

Quote from: "custardavenger"Roger, I think thanks should go to Ian (E) as it was him who inspired it.

Thanks E.

BTW Russ (or anybody else) unless you don't want the spare or you reckon on making a cheapy yourself, do you want a shortened wheel holder from DarkDay on SC. $25 inc US shipping - slightly more for international. We could put in one box to share that!
Roger

E

Cheers for that Rob and yes it makes one hell of a difference both to the sound levels of the alarm and the increased storage. A bit worried about the mention of water and fans it sounds like they have been mounted underneath the frunk if that's the case I would think they would have a limited lifespan due to the water and salt Etc. What I did was to drill through the two spot welds that hold the two halves of the bracket together then with the frunk removed used those two holes to pop rivet the bracket to the frunk, top right hand corner as you look from the front of the car. in this position it is out of the way in fact you would think it was meant to go there and best of all it is out of the way of the weather can put a pic of it in position at the weekend if this would be of use.

roger

Quote from: "E"can put a pic of it in position at the weekend if this would be of use.

Yes please E.
Roger

uktotty

Quote from: "roger"unless you don't want the spare or you reckon on making a cheapy yourself, do you want a shortened wheel holder from DarkDay on SC. $25 inc US shipping - slightly more for international. We could put in one box to share that!

Yes please Rog, see if we can  get a few ordered

ekimq

Roger actually pointed to that very place and said "I think Ian put his there.." Before he could say any more Jason and Rob were drilling under the frunk in the custard-mobile  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

A picture would be very useful   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

roger

Quote from: "ekimq"Roger actually pointed to that very place and said "I think Ian put his there.." Before he could say any more Jason and Rob were drilling under the frunk in the custard-mobile  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

A picture would be very useful   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Mike must have had a long day. It wasn't me that said that, and it was Jason's they were drilling   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

roger

Quote from: "uktotty"Yes please Rog, see if we can  get a few ordered

I've asked for 3. You, me and possibly Jason whose a maybe!  Anybody else want them before they are made?
Roger

custardavenger

Go on then Roger, Put me down for one.

Quote from: "ekimq"Roger actually pointed to that very place and said "I think Ian put his there.." Before he could say any more Jason and Rob were drilling under the frunk in the custard-mobile  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Mike. I didn't do mine. I knew E had done it and was waiting to see how he did it. I had seen where he put it too, but couldn't work out how he'd got it there. Removing the bracket was the info I needed.
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

much cheaper to cut a few inches off the stock rod and retap it

thats what I did
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "markiii"much cheaper to cut a few inches off the stock rod and retap it

thats what I did

That is what DD is doing - but of course he has to source the part. And he gets through quite a few taps, apparently.

Any offers for a mass retap? I don't have that bit of kit.

One question though, if we cut the OEM, would a short one still hold a full size tyre? I would imagine so, but without going out and checking can't be sure.
Roger

custardavenger

Oh. Well if thats the case I'll thread my own. Or make a new one.

I would have though the biggest problem with threading them would be not breaking the plastic.
Project Custard Clicky

roger

Personally, I reckon on just buying it in, because its not that expensive, unless somebody would offer to do the retap. That also leaves the original if it was ever needed
Roger

custardavenger

I don't mind having a go, but your right $25 is no money.

That said if it is the stock one with extended thread then it's just not good enough for this engineer as the way that it's produced. Also it's platted and theading it will remove that and make it rust.
Project Custard Clicky

carl_evs

I have a Toad alarm fitted (as well as the standard one - it was like that when I got it) and the sounder is down behind the front grill mounted to a hole that was already there it on the drivers side of the car. I can only assume whoever fitted the alarm for the previous owner actually did a good job and moved everything for them. I do know it makes it nice and loud when it goes off!!!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

darkday

I'm afraid you're right about the coating custard. I have no way of doing that and I don't think it would be even possible for a reasonable ammount of money as any sort of coating would make my threads useless unless it was REALLY thin. Not sure though. I will say the cutting oil that is used is extremely thick and seems to leave a small coat on the spindle even after being wiped with a paper towel. What I do is whenever i take my spare out to do maintainence or whatever is spray it with a shot of WD-40 just incase. So far I haven't seen any rust but YMMV.

E

I cut mine down and re tapped and all I've done is a small smear of copper slick grease on the threads just don't get hold of the thread end or you will get lubricated but it seems to keep the rust at bay.

roger

OK guys - ordered 3 at the moment. Mine, Russ and Jason. If Jason doesn't want his please shout, if Rob does, please shout. Any more as production is starting.
Roger

darkday

Just an update there are 6 frunksavers spoken for and I have 7 on order. It looks like these will get made next weekend (Weekend of the 10th) and go out the following monday. Roger I can't remember how long it will take to get them overseas but I think it's about 2 weeks or a week and a half.

Please let me know asap if anyone else wants one.

E

OK Here are the pictures I promised of the alarm sounder in its new position.

Who says the 2 isn't practical, just look at all that storage space.

If you look closely on the right hand side you can just make out the two pop rivets that hold the alarm to the frunk

And here is the alarm neatly tucked away in the corner.

Hope these are helpful.

Anonymous

Great idea and pics,i think i will do this tomorrow as mine has the volume level of a wet fart.

mrzwei

I'd appreciate a bit more info on exactly how to do this mod.
Obviously you undo the two bolts and the electrics and drill out the U bracket rivets?
What about the wiring, can this just be taken out from the spare wheel holder?
Is the wiring long enough to reach the new location or do you have to 'cut and splice'?
Nuts and bolts will fix instead of pop rivits I'm sure.
Thanks
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

E

Yes the wiring just needs to be unplugged and it reaches the new position without any adaption all.  s:) :) s:)   make sure you block the hole where the wiring passes through into the frunk to stop water getting in there, a grommet would be great but I just used a piece of aluminum tape. and yes you could use nuts and bolts to fix it in place but you will of course have to be able to get a spanner or similar to the nuts on the outside of the frunk not sure how tricky this will be as I had some stainless steel rivets so that was the easiest option for me.

Tags: