MR2 roadster price guideline?

Started by Anonymous, October 4, 2009, 14:47

Anonymous

Your example has inspired me a little to expand my budget and try and find a post-facelift.

During my research I've been given some things to look out for when buying a used MR2, this might be of use to you:
•   Bubbling of paint on alloy wheels
•   Water build up in the cupboard behind the seats suggests a roof leak
•   The front tires will wear on the inside first so turn the wheels full lock to check the wear from the inside
•   The engine management light should come on with the ignition and go out a few seconds after the engine starts. If it does not come on at all it may have been burnt out or removed to hide a bigger fault. If it stays on it's normally a problem with the oxygen sensor..
•   Listen for a knocking sound while turning the steering wheel to full lock while both stationary and at low speeds as this suggests the top suspension mounts have failed
•   Check when the brakes were last replaced. Listen for a squealing noise as you drive at speeds under 30mph. This indicates that the brakes are binding and need renewing. If the brakes are cold, feel the disc through a gap in the Wheel. It should not be pitted or scored, nor should it have a a large lip edge of the disc (a large lip is a few mm). The disc should be evenly worn across the face. The break pads will need replaced around every 20K miles and break discs around every 30K miles

Hope this helps,

Mike

StuM

For what it's worth, the vast majority of benefits of the car being post-facelift can be 'retro fitted' - including bracing, 16" rear wheels, bumpers, inserts, side vents, heater controls.  As Nic says, there was a revision to the engine internals that has seemed to make a difference to the number of vehicles that suffer oval boring... and obviously that is not easily retro-fitted.  Things to consider though:

* The number of oval bore failures is a small percentage of total Roadsters out there
* There have been (I believe) examples of post-facelift cars failing, albeit fewer*

My personal opinion, and it is only that, is that I much prefer the visuals of the pre-facelift cars, particularly the front bumper and rear inserts.  Many prefer post-facelift though.  When buying a car like the '2', I would always takes mileage, condition and service history over age - unless you really want a post-facelift car.  Even then, I'd never buy a post-facelift dog over a pre-facelift minter.

I am deeply confused by Roadster prices - there appears to be no 'norm' at all.  I've been harbouring dark thoughts of selling mine (which keep going to the back of my mind each time I drive it!) which is a '51' plate pre-facelift, hardtop & ac model with 48k miles.  Based on similar examples, it is worth something from £4000 through to £6500!  

All of the above is of course only my humble opinion.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

* Happy to be corrected on that!
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

SimonC_Here

Just a couple of comment on you items:
Quote from: "smiiithy"During my research I've been given some things to look out for when buying a used MR2, this might be of use to you:
More likely that the side drain holes are blocked. Easy fix, just make sure the water hasn't damaged anything.

Quote from: "smiiithy"•   Listen for a knocking sound while turning the steering wheel to full lock while both stationary and at low speeds as this suggests the top suspension mounts have failed

Mike
Maybe, but it could be the tyre treads "skipping" when turning.

Simon

Anonymous

Just things to bear in mind.

0100000101101110011001000010000001111001011001010111001100100000010010010010000001100001011000110111010001110101011000010110110001101100011110010010000001100100011001010110001101101111011001000110010101100100001000000110100101110100

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Just a couple of comment on you items:
Quote from: "smiiithy"During my research I've been given some things to look out for when buying a used MR2, this might be of use to you:
More likely that the side drain holes are blocked. Easy fix, just make sure the water hasn't damaged anything.

Quote from: "smiiithy"•   Listen for a knocking sound while turning the steering wheel to full lock while both stationary and at low speeds as this suggests the top suspension mounts have failed

Mike
Maybe, but it could be the tyre treads "skipping" when turning.

Simon

Actually that's a good bargaining tactic - you see the bins have water in them and use it to bring down the price because there's a "leak", but you know it's easily fixed   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

jonfy

Iv'e been away for a while so I'm been grazing the site,roadster prices are as other members have said are really wierd at the moment and very subjective to age,condition,seller(private or dealer)and how bad you want to buy or sell one .In my humble opionion you can get a bargain if you are willing to wait for the right car at the right price and make sure you ditch the rose tinted glasses before viewing.I paid £4500 last December for my 2003 facelift with 50+ on the clock, FTSH ect ect and that was from a dealer !.I got it cheap because i bought in a dealers lean period (winter and Christmas )and also brass neck bargaining.Maybe i caught the dealer on a really bad day but if you are willing to wait for the winter you may get a better deal.
2003 Silver Hardtop with  Black Leather & Toyota body kit.
Added \":D\"e Cat, Toyo\'s-TTE lowering springs, KYB super sports shocks,TTE banana spoiler, Kenwood audio, uprated shifter bushings and heated mirrors.

Chris_h

I think the market will be on its backside again in Jan/Feb.,,

Thats when I intend to buy my 05 with low miles for £5.5k  s:) :) s:)
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"I think the market will be on its backside again in Jan/Feb.,,

Thats when I intend to buy my 05 with low miles for £5.5k  s:) :) s:)

Yes, ill have a week in Barbados for 50p at the same time.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200941343205049/sort/priceasc/search-target/usedcars/make/toyota/model/mr2/colour/black/price-from/2000/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/price-to/3000/search-used-vehicles/update%20results/postcode/ne237xj/page/1?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostcode%2Fne237xj%2Fmake%2Ftoyota%2Fmodel%2Fmr2%2Fcolour%2Fblack%2Fprice-from%2F2000%2Fmaximum-age%2Fup_to_10_years_old%2Fprice-to%2F3000%2Fsearch-used-vehicles%2Fupdate%2520results%2Fpage%2F1%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc&anchor=advert200941343205049&logcode=p

I know it must have a 5 speed gear box if it's 2000 but apart from that can anyone see anything blindingly wrong with it for the price?
Features and full description
•   2000 (W reg)
•   Convertible
•   48,000 miles
•   Manual
•   1.8L, Petrol
48,000 miles, TOYOTA MR2 1. 8 VVTi 2000, x reg, 6 speed manual, Owned since new,full toyota main dealer service history, just fully serviced by toyota, power steering,black leather interior, alloy wheels,pas,rcl, 8 months mot and tax, superb example, hpi clear, 3 original toyota keys, drives faultless, no dents or scraches. £2,400 ONO.

Cheers,

Mike

1bloke1dog1mr2

FWIW I just part-ex my Roadster for £3500 against a 6 month old Civic.

It was a silver X reg with 56k on the clock, no hardtop or A/C but a really nice example. It had full Toyota service history and I had the alloys re-sprayed to gunmetal so they were perfect. (and yes, I do miss it a bit!)

Obviously I knew I could sell it privately for more and the Honda garage will make on it, but it gives you an idea of value.

Anonymous

Yikes,
I've not been on this scene for long but the price looks good.
I got mine at trade (friend of my mum and all that) so I paid the price she paid. I paid more, a lot more in comparison.  I guess no harm in taking it for a drive and seeing what it's like.
Might be worth taking a MR2 owner along to verify handling / performance ets is all as expected.
Good luck if you go and check it out.

James

Anonymous

Thanks for that but I called this morning and it's sold   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Quote from: "1bloke1dog1mr2"FWIW I just part-ex my Roadster for £3500 against a 6 month old Civic.

It was a silver X reg with 56k on the clock, no hardtop or A/C but a really nice example. It had full Toyota service history and I had the alloys re-sprayed to gunmetal so they were perfect. (and yes, I do miss it a bit!)

Obviously I knew I could sell it privately for more and the Honda garage will make on it, but it gives you an idea of value.

Apologies for highjacking post.
I was thinking the very same thing about selling and buying a honda civic.
1bloke1dog1mr2  If you don't mind, could you send me a PM or create a post comparing the civic with the 2.
I am thinking of arranging a test drive, but I can never tell over such a short time period.

Smittthy
I will see if I can find the CAP guide for pre 55 models.

mrzwei

My daughters partner used to work for Honda in Swindon so they got their hands on some good employee lease deals. Had a 2 door s I think it was and all I can say is that it was really 'modern' compared with the two - heads up displays, push button start (back to the future!) lots of alloy trim around the dash etc, etc, drove really well. I much prefer my 2 but think the Civic is a forward looking vehicle.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Puerco

As most respondents have said, there seems to be no logic or consistency in the asking prices.
I paid £3,000 for my 2001 Jap import with 20,000 miles, albeit with a gearbox which had been run dry for 1,000 miles!  
Otherwise in immaculate condition, although some bits seemed to have fallen off during transportation.
I've acquired and fitted all the missing bits and replaced the gearbox, all for a few hundred pounds and now have a super MR2 Roadster.
I was lucky with the gearbox replacement.  I bought a UK spec 5 speed on ebay for £107 and sold the dodgy one for £55 - fully disclosing its faults, of course.

I agree with what most of you have said.  It's a matter of keeping your powder dry and pouncing on the occasional bargain.
I'll be looking out for a Facelift model over the winter, if the price is right.

Good hunting!

Anonymous

Cap guide examples for bog standard roadster

2000 W  80000miles  retail £4495
2000 X  80000miles   retail £4650
2001 Y  80000miles   retail £4875
2002 52  80000miles retail £5495
2003  03  70000        retail  £6095

1bloke1dog1mr2

The two cars don't really compare as they satisfy different things. I sold the 2 because we are hoping to eventually get down to just one vehicle instead of a 2 seater and a 7 seater as there is just me Hubby and two dogs.

Obviously the Civic is more refined. I went for the Type S GT, would have gone for the Type R but speed wasn't an issue and the handling of the Type S GT is well above that of the standard Civic. We've had an old Civic, a mk1 Civic Type R and an HRV in the past which were all beautiful cars so we decided to go Honda. Plus Toyota make the most boring cars nowadays!

Love the fact I have the luxury of a boot, dual climate control, cruise control etc. The whole interior is superior to the 2, and even other new cars I test drove like the Ralliart Colt (trying to go back to my XR2  days!) were abismile (sp?) in comparison. I Miss the soft top and the kick from the RWD, but really I wasn't buying to move sideways, I wanted style and comfort with a bit of performance.

That's just me, plus I'd owned it for 5 years so a change is as good as a rest.

Anonymous

Quote from: "1bloke1dog1mr2"The two cars don't really compare as they satisfy different things. I sold the 2 because we are hoping to eventually get down to just one vehicle instead of a 2 seater and a 7 seater as there is just me Hubby and two dogs.

Obviously the Civic is more refined. I went for the Type S GT, would have gone for the Type R but speed wasn't an issue and the handling of the Type S GT is well above that of the standard Civic. We've had an old Civic, a mk1 Civic Type R and an HRV in the past which were all beautiful cars so we decided to go Honda. Plus Toyota make the most boring cars nowadays!

Love the fact I have the luxury of a boot, dual climate control, cruise control etc. The whole interior is superior to the 2, and even other new cars I test drove like the Ralliart Colt (trying to go back to my XR2  days!) were abismile (sp?) in comparison. I Miss the soft top and the kick from the RWD, but really I wasn't buying to move sideways, I wanted style and comfort with a bit of performance.

That's just me, plus I'd owned it for 5 years so a change is as good as a rest.

Thanks for the info.

I know what you mean about Honda's, we've had several with no problems.
my wife has the old type R and although I like it, I am not particular keen on revving engines. I think I may test the diesel
as I kind of like the lazy type of power as long as it handles reasonably well.

thanks again
Shaun

1bloke1dog1mr2

We test drove the 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel and there isn't a lot in it. TBH I would've had either engine in the Type S GT.

Handling is the same, petrol is a little more refined and you're looking around £1000 more for a second diesel to it's petrol equivilant.

freak_in_cage

looked at MR2s last winter- they genuinely do seem to be highly affected by the winter. I was always scepttical about this- but have casually watched them for the past year- about Dec last year i was seeing early Mk 3s for £3k- about 80k on clock- WITH hard tops!Have a look online now- would say your looking at at least 3.8k for similar spec.

Def wait until dec and see what you can pick up

Anonymous

Im looking at 03 cars at the moment and Im not seeing anything listed below £6495 with reasonable mileage (mainly dealers). Obviously you don't pay the sticker price, but neither have I noticed a seasonal price drop yet either.

Chris_h

Quote from: "freak_in_cage"looked at MR2s last winter- they genuinely do seem to be highly affected by the winter. I was always scepttical about this- but have casually watched them for the past year- about Dec last year i was seeing early Mk 3s for £3k- about 80k on clock- WITH hard tops!Have a look online now- would say your looking at at least 3.8k for similar spec.

Agree with that. Asking prices may not change to the casual observer - but those cars dont sell.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

hmmm.................. plenty of room for negotiation then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuM

Quote from: "freak_in_cage"looked at MR2s last winter- they genuinely do seem to be highly affected by the winter. I was always scepttical about this- but have casually watched them for the past year- about Dec last year i was seeing early Mk 3s for £3k- about 80k on clock- WITH hard tops!Have a look online now- would say your looking at at least 3.8k for similar spec.

Worth remembering that last December people almost stopped buying cars, houses and anything else as they were starting to see the real effects of the economic crisis coming to bear.  This downturn hit impractical, fun cars (like the 2) harder than most.  I think prices have steadily recovered since then.

I'm not denying that there is a seasonal shift, just pointing out that last year this was exargerated past normal proportions.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Decapotable

I agree with STuM, last winter was exceptional but there is a significant seasonal effect as well, I think he has got that spot-on.

I was surprised how low the MR2 went at the height of the crisis because for a sports car and a convertible they give exceptional fuel economy and good reliability - thank you Toyota. I thought they would keep their value better but in fact they suffered badly. They were at a premium compared to the MX5 but sank to the same level - the MX-5 being a car in over-suply by comparison. I reckon it is because MR2s are so impractical and in a recession people are thinking that they will have to stick with the car longer, not have two cars just one etc. Therefore the impractical becomes a luxury at any price.

Prices may be all over the place now because we are not out of the recession. Being on the climb out means sellers can see prices are not rock bottom and are all the more desperate to make money but retain the memory of pre-crash prices. This combination means that prices climb sale-bysale in a chaotic way. You need to both shop around and haggle if you do not want to pay over the odds.

Tags: