Emanage issues

Started by uktotty, October 24, 2009, 17:15

uktotty

Well I installed my emanage today and the car doesnt start, remove it and its fine.
Thats all I can tell you.
Any advice??

Anonymous

How is it installed? Boomslang harness or the harness you have to hack yourself? Have you run a separate earth for it to the chassis? Do all the lights on it come on? EMB or EMU?

There's loads more you can tell us  s;) ;) s;)

uktotty

LOL its a sort of plug and play harness thing.
Lights are power and input.
Earth and things? Hmmm nothing like that

EMB

Anonymous

I got my harnesses mixed up, it's the Boomslang one you have to hack into yourself so I'm guessing it's the other one you've got.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Do you have the software + cable to access the EMB? It might want a better earth, I certainly had to do that with mine but then I had a different harness to you so that might not apply. You sure all the four plugs are fully pushed home?

uktotty

all plugs are in and tight, there are 2 spare wires (earth maybe) but they are sealed ends.
Cant connect the PC to the emanage as I dont have a 50 meter cable  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Didn't stop Ste  s;) ;) s;)

Go and get a photo up Russ, will make things a bit clearer.

uktotty

here we go

evileye_wrx

It is the Autosport Harness. Those random wires look like a pos and neg power wires. The harness and emanage were originally fitted at Hypersport. They have also been the only ones who touched it, added Injector and injection harnesses, except for removal.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

uktotty

Ok well we checked all the wires and pinouts on the autosport harness and it all looks totally fine.
So is there a lack of map?
Is there the wrong map?
Is the unit FUBAR?

Russ

Anonymous

Map or not, the car should still start fine. It's got to be either a wiring issue or the unit is dead.

uktotty

Cheers Dan, she will turn over but not fire up at all.

markiii

Quote from: "uktotty"Cheers Dan, she will turn over but not fire up at all.

been there done that

odds on it being an earthing issue
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

I'm just checking all the connections on the harness for him. The only thing that may not be right is which cylinder is conected to which input.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

Rob

I only ever came across this issue on one car mine (coincidentaly using teh autosport harness)

we triple checked everything and it still wouldn't run

suspecting it was an earth issue I chopped the wire whihc was supposed to earth teh emanage (via teh autosport harness) and connected it directly to the battery ground.

started first time and never again gave me an issue.

never found a sensible answer as to why ths was teh case but it may help
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

Cool I'll solder an extra wire on there and ground it anyway.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

MR 2ster

If you open the emanage up you will see 5 little screws these need to be adjusted to match your car specs - 4 cylinder etc...check the emanage manual to get the right settings dialled in!!!

Or as aforementioned its an earthing issue!

Does it have a map on it btw? that too could be causing an issue if someone completely wiped it clean!!!

Anonymous

Even if the map was clean, it wouldn't cause an issue as the EMB only adjusts the stock ECU signals and passes them on, it doesn't actually create any of it's own IYSWIM. Good point about checking the dials though: Whilst I don't expect them to have gotten knocked upon installation, it's not impossible and is a good place to start.

uktotty

Not the dials as there are only 4 wires, 5 and 6 were removed from the harness so I am guessing it was only ever on the roadster

Anonymous

They could've been nudged though Russ, no harm in checking. Have you tried a different ground yet?

uktotty

Quote from: "Dan M"They could've been nudged though Russ, no harm in checking. Have you tried a different ground yet?
Not yet Dan, Rob is rewiring it a little neater and checking all the connections prior to fitting then we will fit, check the map etc, then if it fails Phil can have it back !!

evileye_wrx

Really the harness should be fine. It ran on my car without issue. If it doesn't work after Rob's ministrations then I will happily take it back. I had been my intention to be  helpful to the person who bought my turbo by swapping emanage units with him and I sold his emanage on to Russ. I had been under the impression that his emanage was in full working order on his car before the swap was made.

If it proves his emanage does not work I'm happy to refund Russ and I'll get my original emanage back and sell that one once I've ensured it is in full working order.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

uktotty

Phil, that is awesome mate, what a great guy, we will have a go next weekend to get this one running and I will give you some feedback on it.

Wabbitkilla

The e-manage is such a robust piece of kit it would be dificult to believe if it's broken in some way.

Keep up the good work guys I'm sure there's an explanation in there somewhere
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

MR 2ster

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"The e-manage is such a robust piece of kit it would be dificult to believe if it's broken in some way.

Keep up the good work guys I'm sure there's an explanation in there somewhere

Agreed! When i had one on the celica we set the little dials exactly as the book suggests...however it wouldn't start  s:( :( s:(  so we went online and found out that the actual settings for my specific car were just a few notches out!

Again, worth making sure they are exactly correct! When you turn the ignition, but not turn the car on does the little LED glow? What about pluging into a PC does it show a transfer? again with mine it had a corrupt MAP and we had to get into the emanage, load a generic map taken from another unit and then start from scratch!

Just an idea!

Tamasbako

Hi Guys,

This particular e-manage was the one Phil swapped with me so I can get his pre-tuned for the turbo kit I bough off him. I bough it from a fellow Club member eric3472 in July 2007. Unfortunately I can't remember if he had an N/A or turbo setup. Up until now it was sitting  in the box he sent it to me packed so I didn't changed any of the dials or settings on the unit just sent it off to Phil.

As far as I can tell he still visits the forums (his profile says so) so probably you can contact him and ask what setup he had back then ?

I'm afraid I can't be of any more help here and pretty sure that he didn't sold me a broken unit and I firmly believe that it didn't broke packed away in a box (bubblewrapped) so fingers crossed it's bad wiring or setting. Sorry guys and hope this sorts it out itself one way or the other.

Tags: