'quick release' luggage rack

Started by mrzwei, October 29, 2009, 16:58

mrzwei

Didn't like the horrible screw type fixing that came with my budget luggage rack so decided to modify it. Basically I used bits from an old hatchback cycle carrier and some stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Fitted and removed in seconds and I don't think it looks half bad! Can't vouch for the long run as I've only used it for a couple of trips to the local tip but given that it supported bikes on the back of a car then I'm optimistic.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

I dont understand,what have you done?Have you got some before pics?

Barney Bear

looks good
do you think the rack would fit with a trd style spoiler ??

the balck straps look much better , match your car too   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

uktotty

looks nice, just need a rack that fits the TTE Banana

Barney Bear

where did you get your rack from looks much nicer than the one I found   s:D :D s:D

roger

Quote from: "Barney Bear"looks good

Sorry to hijack - but I have this one which is OK with TRD spoiler, its called a Lapa

Thanks to MikeMR2 for the piccy.

BTW the perceived wisdom is that the vertical bit goes by the window. Its there to stop the luggage hitting the back of your neck in a sudden stop, though there has been some "discussion" on the subject. With the spoiler you have to have it that way round anyway.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Barney Bear

looks good
is lapa the company name or the product name ??

as for which way round I would of put on wrong then thought the upstand was to stop luggage falling off the back

StuM

I have this one for mine:

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/Car-Products/Car-Boot-Trunk-Racks/Car-Boot-and-Trunk-Mounted-Luggage-Racks/Car-Boot-Rack-10156-For-Convertibles-and-Coupes/000747p.aspx

La Prealpina.

It has the side fittings, but also ratchet straps from the leading edge of the boot lid to the rack.  

How is the rack in the OP normally fitted?  What about lateral movement?
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

mrzwei

My rack was originally supplied with two long threaded rods  and brackets designed to fix either to the lh and rh edges of the engine cover (not long enough in this instance) or to the top and bottom edges. Quite a fiddle to fix and looked auful (in my opinion).

I'm not getting any problems with lateral movement because of the rubber feet and it will fit either way ie guard to the front or back.
I only did it because I had the bits lying around but its just so quick to fit and remove. In reality, just buy something that looks good and is easy to fix in the first place.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

StuM

It does look good and as you say, plenty of bike racks adopt that fitting.  Mine is definately not quick fit, which sometimes is limiting.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

glenonoka

Quote from: "StuM"I have this one for mine:

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/Car-Products/Car-Boot-Trunk-Racks/Car-Boot-and-Trunk-Mounted-Luggage-Racks/Car-Boot-Rack-10156-For-Convertibles-and-Coupes/000747p.aspx

La Prealpina.

It has the side fittings, but also ratchet straps from the leading edge of the boot lid to the rack.  

Me too. Had mine for years now. Very easy on/off. Quality construction. No signs of rust, wear or damage to date.

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"

Sorry to hijack - but I have this one which is OK with TRD spoiler, its called a Lapa

I think that you will find that it is called a FAPA, and is no longer available.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Heinz'57"

I think that you will find that it is called a FAPA, and is no longer available.

Was my old Thule that I got from Halfords, someone still does them-ish CLICKY

lemans

Quote from: "mrzwei"Didn't like the horrible screw type fixing that came with my budget luggage rack so decided to modify it. Basically I used bits from an old hatchback cycle carrier and some stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Fitted and removed in seconds and I don't think it looks half bad! Can't vouch for the long run as I've only used it for a couple of trips to the local tip but given that it supported bikes on the back of a car then I'm optimistic.

That looks very neat.  I too find the screw fixings are not very user friendly.  I guess the only small downside to your "quick release" system is that any local tea leaf could nick your rack if you left it unattended for too long.  But for a quick trip it looks to be a great idea.
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "Heinz'57"

Possibly because the post was nearly 2 years ago...
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: