Winter Tyres

Started by Rocklobstar, October 30, 2009, 14:19

Rocklobstar

Having had my roadster this year, for the summer months, this is my first winter of use and so a question arises.  Does anyone go to the trouble of changing their wheels and tyres for the winter?  Say to a pair of cheap steel wheels and a set of mud and snow tyres, is it worth bothering with when the frost and bit of snow arrive?

evileye_wrx

I found the best thing to do if it was really snowy was just to leave it at home. Any tyres can be tricky in really poor weather tho I believe the Toyo T1-r's are quite reliable as a wet weather tyre

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Barney Bear

Snow has never been a problem up here and mud how could you even consider letting your 2 come in contact with such stuff  s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

blahpony

I have a set of Yokohama IceGuards for winter. I used to have them on a set of steelies. My friend wrecked his Spyder and bought a new one. I helped transfer over all his mods and he gave me his old set of stock 15s. I now have the IceGuards on those.

enid_b

i ran my 2 for 3 winters as my daily commuting car, and never had a problem. i encountered snow, sleet, hail, driving rain, wind, salt etc. that was with both bridgestones and toyos (at different times of course)

never had a problem and i dont think our winters are extreme enough to warrant special winter tyres.  granted if you are on racing slicks or similar you may wish to get a deep groove.

all i would suggest is -

1, adapt your driving style to the prevailing conditions (no brainer that one)
2, anticipate more
3, deep grooves on your tyres
4, wash the car more frequently, paying attention to at least rinse the underneath and the wheel arches when they start applying salt to the roads.
5, top down, heater on full. you will love it. (although be careful when folding a cold top, they are a lot stiffer - dont force it)

edit: if you are on the stock wheels, and they are not YET bubbled, i would recommend that you wash them daily! and get a good layer of protection on them.  it is only a matter of time before they start to bubble.  i didnt look after mine during last winter, and they bubbled quite quickly over a couple of months.

e
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

mrzwei

God it must be hell to live up north  s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

You can buy a decent Discovery for little more than a new set of tyres (certainly less than wheels + tyres) as a 2nd car. You'll never have to worry about winter again. If you want a bit of performance there is always the V8 - just dont try going round corners as fast   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: