Your thoughts on a possible purchase please

Started by andy2407, January 25, 2010, 15:12

andy2407

As mentioned in my introduction thread ( l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28106 l ) I'm currently looking to buy an MR2.

I've been having a look at whats about - both on here and on the usual sources such as Ebay, Autotrader, Pistonheads etc and I've come across this at a garage fairly close to me....

m http://www.parkhillscarcentre.co.uk/veh ... p=&Modela= m

It's slightly above budget but I'm a cash buyer so I will aim for some reduction, and I appreciate I could always sell the hard top on if need be.

Anyway, I'm sure there is lots of knowledge on here so your comments, thoughts on the price, and suggestions of things to look for would be appreciated.

TIA

Andy

northernalex

Quote from: "andy2407"As mentioned in my introduction thread ( m http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28106 m ) I'm currently looking to buy an MR2.

I've been having a look at whats about - both on here and on the usual sources such as Ebay, Autotrader, Pistonheads etc and I've come across this at a garage fairly close to me....

m http://www.parkhillscarcentre.co.uk/veh ... p=&Modela= m

It's slightly above budget but I'm a cash buyer so I will aim for some reduction, and I appreciate I could always sell the hard top on if need be.

Anyway, I'm sure there is lots of knowledge on here so your comments, thoughts on the price, and suggestions of things to look for would be appreciated.

TIA

Andy

Car looks ok, and low milage for the year too.

Check for any rust around the arches, Ive only seen one with rust, but you never know.

Also look for oil usage, and wether the engine sounds like a helicopter when you drive it.

Also it should keep on giving power after 5000 revs, take it to the redline.

Probably about 1000 over priced though. But looks a good example with the ducktail spoiler and the hardtop.

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

uktotty

If the aircon, TTE Spoiler and leather are of interest its not a bad price, hard top is worth £500 but I would say its £500 overpriced.

northernalex

Can we agree on 750 overpriced then Russ  s;) ;) s;)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

uktotty

yeah lets stick in the middle Alex

ChrisHumes

looks a good clean example, id say 4500 as you will be hard stretched to find a one with 37k on without hardtop for 4000. leather/spoiler etc are worth 500 to the right person...

markiii

Quote from: "northernalex"Can we agree on 750 overpriced then Russ  s;) ;) s;)

its not a TTE spoiler
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris_h

No mention of history (that I can see) and number of owners..

Be nice to have a fistfull of paper work to back up the mileage and show it has been well maintained.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

andywood

Similar to my previous comments i think then Andy - all seems to look good for the right price, but need to know more about history/services etc....

All will be revealed by a thorough generic car/test drive that any second-hand buyer would do i reckon.

What happened to the goal of getting a yellow one to match the Fabia??   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

cclarke99

For W-Y reg cars with less than 40K miles, Autotrader shows two cars at £3500, one at £4000 and three (including the one above) at £5000. All the others don't have hardtops, and it has a higher spec than most, plus it all depends on how much the dealer is willing to haggle. In the case of the really cheap ones, not very much.

andy2407

Many thanks everyone - I'm going to take a closer look at this but a lot depends on how much movement the garage has on price as I get the general opinion you all think its overvalued.

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes and ears open - let me know if you see anything else.

roger

Quote from: "andy2407"I get the general opinion you all think its overvalued.

What is value?

In reality you are always going to pay over the odds from the trade unless they have a big desire to get rid of it, if so why? Whether you think that's worth it, can you find a similar from a private seller etc etc all have to be taken into account.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

andy2407

Quote from: "roger"What is value?

In reality you are always going to pay over the odds from the trade unless they have a big desire to get rid of it, if so why? Whether you think that's worth it, can you find a similar from a private seller etc etc all have to be taken into account.
Fair point.

I appreciate a car bought at trade is always going to cost more, but I guess on the plus side there is some comeback in case things go wrong. This particular garage also mentions RAC warranty although I've not yet asked how long it is for, or whether indeed the level of cover makes it worth the paper its written on - I know some are full of get out clauses.

Anyway I have a figure in mind - if the garage wont meet it then I shall continue looking.

Private sales seem less common these days. Autotrader must have around 90% trade sales, as are the large majority of Ebay listings. Pistonheads has more of a mix but still plenty of trade adverts. That of course leaves enthusiast sites such as this, and of course I have been keeping my eye on what is on offer.

The next question is then how much time do I have? Do prices really start to rise when the sun comes out? Or do sellers hang back until then, so its a case of more supply to match the higher demand, resulting in prices staying stable?

Hmmmm - I guess time will tell

Anonymous

Prices will rise with the better weather.

andywood

You got one yet then Andy????   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Silverman

Quote from: "nelix"Prices will rise with the better weather.

'Fraid so  s:( :( s:(      Just calculating the March/April add on.    s:D :D s:D
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

mrzwei

Quote from: "nelix"Prices will rise with the better weather.

Profound. That's got to be the equivalent of something like 'We will go to Heaven when we die'  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: