Broken Bolt

Started by Jap GT300, March 2, 2004, 19:19

Jap GT300

As me and Mark were removing the deck lid from my car a little while back two of the bolts snapped.  Half the thread is still in the hole and I can't get a grip on it to remove it.

I have atempted to drill it out and have gone down only a couple of mm.  I worried about doing this as I dont want to ruin the internal thread.

Is there a trick to get these out?

Thanks Adam

Anonymous

This is purely a guess and i have no idea if it will work - how about applying a small amount of epoxy putty to another bolt (end of it) and sticking it ONTO the snapped bolt - when it hardens it would be like one long extended bolt.... maybe?   s:? :? s:?    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Jap GT300

I'll have to get some strong epoxy.  I don't think that they are too tight in there as we had started to release them before they went.

markiii

not sure if it will work either, but araldite usually comes a close second to welding (usually my fingures)  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

You need some screw extractors such as "Easy-Outs", or similar items.  Easy-Outs come in different sizes and look like a tapered spiral.  They are 'screwed' into a hole drilled into the bolt and, as the spiral digs in - it is effectively an opposite thread to the screw/bolt thread - it withdraws the bolt. Other extractors have no taper, but are hammered into a hole drilled into the bolt and, as the extractor is like a long torx drive, you get purchase on them to unscrew the broken thread.  You should be able to get them from a "Machine Mart" (nationwide chain) or possibly even Halfords.  They could be a little expensive and may come in a set.  For the (hopefully!) one time use, I would consider buying a cheapo set (market stall type standard); it'll almost be useless after you've finished with it, but it'll be a damn site cheaper.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"I'll have to get some strong epoxy.  I don't think that they are too tight in there as we had started to release them before they went.

just make sure you dont get any outside teh screw or you will never get it out!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Jap GT300

Wow that is cheap, thanks for the info!  I have just ordered a set.

Adam

Anonymous

easy outs are the best way but you might have to drill a little deeper good luck

try and drill a smaller hole down the center of the bolts (i think there are standard size drills) you need a bit of bolt left for the outs to grip hold of

kanujunkie

Just a tip for ya as well, make sure you use tungsten carbide drill-bits(warning expensive) and not standard jobber drill bits. I have to do this a lot in my job and we never bother with the jobbers as they are not man enough for the job. If you need any easy-outs in future then drop us a pm and i'll grab some from work
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

If the easy-out does'nt work I'll be very surprised, but just in case, if you have to drill it all out try these below, Click on heli-coil.
They are described in the write up, they will do the job for you. Basically they are a new insert for a bolt to be screwed into.
Good Luck.

m http://www.emhart.com/Default.htm m

heathstimpson

I have used easy outs loads of times and they have always worked perfectly.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Screw extractors !!!!!! com'on just drill the baby out and then get some RHINO cement and glue a rod in the hole inside make the side of the rod flat and then get some adjust'es on it and away it gose!

Had laods of bolt's screws go all removed like this and if it is stuck sock in WD40 over nigth and then it will shift!

Gently tapping it as well helps   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

is that Bodger Buster back again!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"is that Bodger Buster back again!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
A bodge that does work if you screw extractors and helicoils fail  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: