Custom Steering Wheel (no airbag) Insurance

Started by Anonymous, February 17, 2010, 05:43

Anonymous

What's the reaction with regard to Insurance companies - removal of Airbag.

markiii

when I fitted mine, I told them exactly what I had done

i.e replaced teh stoc wheel with xyz

I didn't explicitly mention the airbag issue, if they do or don;t realise teh implications thats their problem  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"when I fitted mine, I told them exactly what I had done

i.e replaced the stoc wheel with xyz

I didn't explicitly mention the airbag issue, if they do or don;t realise the implications thats their problem  :-) :-) :-)

Yep I understand what you are saying, but what if someone  (not the owner say) got in the car - drove it - had a head on - no airbag - got injured - who pay's.

I thought we supposed to tell the insurance company everything especially when it comes to removing an item of safety.

Ilogik

Item of safety like steering wheel is personal choice, I never had air bags on my old cars so I think it is left down to personal choice.

I think it is when it could effect other road users or pedestrians, such as dodgy breaks, sharp objects.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"Item of safety like steering wheel is personal choice, I never had air bags on my old cars so I think it is left down to personal choice.

I think it is when it could effect other road users or pedestrians, such as dodgy breaks, sharp objects.
Not when it comes as standard on the car - you have no choice - Euro ncap rating etc etc

Anonymous

NCAP rating means nothing post-purchase though, it's purely an end user choice. Besides, the levels for differing NCAP ratings have changed so much, they're almost irrelevant now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dan M"NCAP rating means nothing post-purchase though, it's purely an end user choice. Besides, the levels for differing NCAP ratings have changed so much, they're almost irrelevant now.
Yep I understand Dan - but no one as answered the question, has anyone actual told their insurance company they have changed the steering wheel for one that has no air bag, when it came fitted as standard on the car.

DannyN

Maybe Ollie could answer for us ?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Ilogik

All adrian flux care about if it adds power. Cosmetic mods bodykit, wheels ect not to bothered about.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

I've spoken with AF, they have confirmed that with me having a modified policy already it's just a matter of telling them - no charge  s:D :D s:D  The only down side is that in the event of an accident they would only replace the standard wheel - which is just as expensive as a sports one.

Not sure how you would stand on a non modified policy - think that will be a different story.

Interested in a group buy then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

markiii

well a non modifed policy wouldn't cover mods, so surely thats the point?

its a mod like any other, they either allow it or they don;t
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

The thing is Mark no one came back with a positive answer, it needed to be clarified from the clubs point of view as you are removing a piece of safety equipment from the car.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

well if I were teh insurance company I'd want to know, however

If i tell them I replaced teh exhaust with x or swapped y engine in, I expect them to know enough to understand teh ramifications (after all its their job) or ask further questiosn to determine said ramifications

if you tell them you replaced your stock wheel with xyz, you did your bit, and you were honest about it. If they don't then understand teh ramifications its their problem.

if  you swap the wheels for bigger ones, technically they weigh more and will make it harder to stop, would you need to explain that to teh insurance company? or would you take it as read that they understand teh ramifications because thats their job?

nathanMR2

Its not something the insurance company with be interested in unless it would be a extra cost for them to replace later down the line i.e. if the car was written off or stolen and you expected like for like replacements on all mods. Atleast I know that the situation with the group of insurance companies I work for.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Its not something the insurance company with be interested in unless it would be a extra cost for them to replace later down the line i.e. if the car was written off or stolen and you expected like for like replacements on all mods. Atleast I know that the situation with the group of insurance companies I work for.
What if someone is killed - forget about the car - who pays then, it's a bit more complicated when it comes to a like for like replacement don't you think.

One thing I've learnt about insurance company, never expect them to know everything, it's dangerous ground to assume they do, both for the individual and the club.

muffdan

[MOD]Split this thread-drift into it's own topic[/MOD]
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

nathanMR2

If your refering to killing some else then that would depend if the wheel/vehicle is classed as dangerous/roadworthy. If it goes through an MOT then the vehicle is really classed as roadworthy and i would have hoped safe.

As for your own personal safety, its personal choice. If you kill or injury yourself your insurance wouldnt cover you anyway.

If you were hit by another driver (not your fault) and you were more injuried as a result of having no airbag it is unlike they would be able to prove if the airbag would have helped in any event so ud still get your compensation.

Personally unless i was using it for the track id rather have an airbag.

custardavenger

I'm sure it is your reponsibility to inform the insurance company of all modifications. Adding an after marked wheel is a moddification so is removing an air bag. I would never assume anything with insurance companys. If it's not in their paperwork they can turn round and say we didn't know about it, you insurance is invalid.

If you put a turbo system on the car that comes with it's own exhaust system, you can't just tell them about the turbo kit you have to mention the exhaust as well, even though its part of the kit. Otherwise they will presume you have the standard exhaust and you won't be covered.

Simples.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Whatever did people do in the days before airbags? How on earth did anyone survive?! It's a modern miracle, that's for sure.

I really couldn't care about an airbag in the steering wheel. Tbh if the accident is that bad that I'm relying on it, then I'm guessing it's such a big one that the structural abilities of the car itself are going to be more important. A seatbelt/harnesses are far more important safety devices, and it's scary just how many people don't wear them. That said, it's totally their call and their risk.

Mike68

I think the main issue would be if you were to try and claim personal injury after you have removed the airbag, if the airbag would have reduced injury then the injury is partially self inflicted. If you haven't been specific to the insurance company that the airbag has been removed, don't expect them to be aware of it. If you've told them of another steering wheel, they will assume the airbag is still in place unless you are specific. Any chance of not paying out then they will, here's a great get out clause right there. Same would go for any life insurance, I'm sure they would try and not pay out if the loss of the airbag contributed towards death. One thing I always check in an RTC and note on the report form is if there is an airbag and if it's been deployed.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to take the risk of removing the airbag for road use, everytime you are in the car there's opportunity for another driver to cause a collision, they are proven to reduce injuries. Would you want to replace the seat belts with ribbon because they look nicer? Sorry to go off on one but...
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

nathanMR2

I agree.

And ill say it again. If you injury yourself and its your fault your insurance company wont pay out for your injury (unless you've taken out seperate personal injury cover)

As for life insurance etc well thats a whole different ball game   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Mike68

Quote from: "Dan M"Whatever did people do in the days before airbags? How on earth did anyone survive?! It's a modern miracle, that's for sure.

I really couldn't care about an airbag in the steering wheel. Tbh if the accident is that bad that I'm relying on it, then I'm guessing it's such a big one that the structural abilities of the car itself are going to be more important.

You're so, so wrong, what experience/qualifications backs such remarks? I've been to RTCs with quite low impact that the airbag has prevented injury as well as high impact where it really did do it's job. Don't mean to preach but the first major  RTC I went to, car pulled out of a junction, didnt see any other cars, one swerved to avoid the idiot and went head on into another car, the one that pulled out didn't get a scratch on his car. Driver of car that swerved had a chest drain on scene by air ambulance crew but survived, would not have without airbag. The passenger of the car on right side of road that I dealth with had bi lateral fractured wrists and open fracture to tib/fib just above ankle, airbag saved her life. Driver of this car had identical injuries and also steering wheel airbag save his life. All made full recovery and would ahve received big money compansation which I doubt would happen if airbags were removed/disabled. Quite probably none would have survived if airbags were dissabled or were not equiped. OK car maybe shouldn't have swerved but it was a reaction and split second decision and because of the car that pulled from a junction blocked the view and either faced trying to get round or face a t-bone.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

Anonymous

I was going to say you must see this all the time Mike - not nice.

Chris_h

I agree with Mike. In an earlier life, I worked in the SRS division of a large US car company and cars are now designed to work with airbags - and if you see the state of thorax injuries to a none bagged dummy on the crash sled, its horendous (as Mike will testify, its the chest damage that often kills - steering wheel into chest) - the bag softens the blow of the hard steering wheel. Another argument for sitting as far from the wheel as poss.

On a lighter note, none of us would hesitate to drive a classic Jag E type without seatbelts, so I guess we can't be tooo concerned about crashing.

With regards to insurance, does your own insurer pay for personal injury if the accident is your fault? - if so, this could well invalidate the policy.
If its the 3rd party's fault, then I cant see how it would be an issue.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Mike68

I't difficult on here, don't want to go on but then again if at least one person takes notice and saves that person from injury or worse then I don't care if i get slated for it, job done. You're probably going to have another one ranting before long, all the best Archie, hope it's going well.

Thankfully, there are no motorways here so not many high speed RTCs but yeah, see all sorts but it's a great job most of the time.
Ex Silver MR-S

Tags: