Undertray Bolt

Started by Anonymous, March 4, 2004, 10:07

Anonymous

I had the MR2 Serviced last Thursday (Culvers Stockport). I was out for a drive with a mate on Sunday and he said my plastic undertray was hanging down, nearly touching the ground above 60mph. I had a look and the head of one of the bolts that holds the under on had come off. It's the bolt on the passenger side just in front of the back wheel.

I took it back to the dealer on Monday who made a tempoaray fix. They didn't have the part in stock (standard 10mm bolt?). I've dropped the car off today to be sorted and the guy asked me how I wanted to pay! He assures me that this is nothing to do with them and that the head of the bolt must have been been knocked off in the 10 miles I'd driven since the service. He also assured me that they do not remove the undertray during a service. I find both points hard to believe.

Do they remove the undertray when changing the Oil and filter? Does anyone have a copy of Toyota's own manual which states this? Any refrence/page number I could quote to them?

Also I can't see how the head of the bolt could be knocked off without damaging anything else. It's pretty far up under the car and surrounded by the plastic undertrays. If it wasn't removed during the service surely it's more likely to have been overtightenned at some other stage or a manufacturing defect. I've forked out for the extened warranty which he informed me doesn't cover this as it's trim.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul.

markiii

they are famous for not putting these bolts back.

and while the oil drain canbe reached through an access flap the filter can't without removing the nappy.

so either they charged you for an oil filter they didn't fit or are lieing.

Personally I'd just ask them if they want to lose your custom for the sake of a 70p bolt.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

It's all sorted now. I've just been to pick the car up and "Mr. Helpful" I dealt with earlier wasn't about. They gave me the keys and nothing to pay.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I was pretty certain you needed to remove the undertray so I was ready to politely call the bloke a liar. Everyone else I've dealt with there is helpful and professional - it seems to go down hill when I have to deal with this guy. Not to worry.

Paul.

Anonymous

I'd try and make sure the twat does not continue to get away with it though.  A phone call or letter should be more than enough.

Tags: