Worst car ever...??

Started by Anonymous, March 2, 2010, 15:22

Anonymous

Hello,

Has anyone else bought an MR2 Roadster that is a complete money drain and where everything on it breaks??!!  Recently i've had to replace the engine, radiator and battery, now i've got an electrical short somewhere causing havoc, and the bonnet latch failed while i was on the motorway last week so i have a very sprained and dented bonnet, and dented wings too!  Its spent more time in the garage than working.  

Any advice as to where i can get a cheap bonnet in the Rotherham area please?!

Anonymous

Ok, sounds like you bought a lemon that was uncared for. Give us more info, age, mileage etc, bought from dealer or privately?

Anonymous

I bought privately from a friend of a mechanic friend who told me the engine was sound, the owner worked for Toyota so had regularly serviced it etc.  all of which turned out to be a load of rubbish!  Its a W/2000 plate, got around 65k on the clock, black, the model with aircon... errm sorry am new to this so not quite sure what kind of info to give!

Anonymous

Perhaps your mechanic friend should bear the brunt of your ire?

What happened re engine, catastrophic oil loss?

Anonymous

he did!  but claimed no fault that it was fine when he saw it.  Grrrrr!  Yep massive oil loss and smoking.  i have fingers crossed my new (well, latest) engine will last...

Wabbitkilla

The friend who is a "mechanic" deserves having his b___s stamped on by the sound of things.
Have a read up on pre-cats, that's most likely the cause of engine failure.

The bonnet catch is unusual, i've only heard of one other and that was because he left it on the release catch - i.e. not fully engaged.
I recently did a search for MR2 breaking on eBay and there is a place in Sheffield breaking a couple - one looked to have a good bonnet ... you might even get the colour your want. There's also one being broken in Rochdale too.

Rochdale linky
Sheffield linky

Give them a ring and do a deal   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Hey thanks   s:D :D s:D  they have one in red in "mint condition" aparently, i'm gonna go check them out.  Will just need to get it sprayed then...

Wabbitkilla

Did they replace your main catalyst when they swapped the engine out?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Ilogik

Sounds like a crapper, any car uncared for will be the same. Good luck getting it sorted bud.

if the car is fubard fit a 2zz or on facelift engine if you have chance, also take it to a garage/mechanic who knows what their on about. Too many clueless twits.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

I have no idea, i was told it was a full engine not that it means anything to me.  Do you think the pre-cat thing could be an issue with the new engine?

Anonymous

I would Ilogik, but the it nearly bankrupt me as it is!!  There's not enough money in the pot for another engine   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

mrzwei

Caveat Emptor I'm afraid, Let buyer beware.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Mike68

Pre cats will always be a threat while they are in place, it is likely that they took out your engine therefore will likely do the same with the replacement.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

Mike68

If it wasn't the pre cats at fault then remove them anyway   s:D :D s:D
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

Wabbitkilla

Get the precats out pronto if they're still in ... and you might be ok with the main cat, but then again it could be clogged with precat debris and oil.

Anonymous

Can anyone advise someone in the Sheffield/ Rotherham area who could do this??  I'm really worried about it now!  Thanks

Anonymous

Check This thread.

You really need to find out if your main cat is ok, if it is clogged with oil and pre cat debris the back pressure will fubar your new engine.

Tags: