MR2 value - on-going insurance

Started by WillsSayers, March 8, 2010, 11:42

Dyn-Evo

Wills: My V6 roadster is up for sale @ £23,000.......

......now they've got something for comparison...!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

WillsSayers

Ha, cheers Greg! I would give them a call, but I'm down Manchester with work today and cannae get all the details together!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

ChrisGB

I just renewed with AF this morning and got a very non committal answer when I asked if the mods were covered. The response I got was that "the cost of modifications would be taken into consideration". May well have to cancel this and go for an agreed value policy when the 2zz goes in or even before if I get time in the cooling off period.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

WillsSayers

I had heard stories about AF being a pain to claim from, but as with all greatly talented young drivers of my caliber, I figured I'd never crash, so why should that affect my decision................... Whoops  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'm still waiting on Highway's engineers to progress the call at the moment. Not sure why they need an engineer to add the cost of an engine to a valuation of my car, but hey ho!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

mrzwei

Quote from: "WillsSayers"I had heard stories about AF being a pain to claim from, but as with all greatly talented young drivers of my caliber, I figured I'd never crash, so why should that affect my decision................... Whoops  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'd have to omit the young, but 'there but for the grace of God go I' or something like that.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

WillsSayers

And they've come back saying....... They're not going to budge - £4.5k is their max....

What they're saying is that they think my car is only worth £4.5k. This includes everything about the car, the wheels, engine, etc.. They're basically displacing the engine parts as being a replacement of the 1.8 engine, and not paying towards the labour, so they would technically be paying for a replacement engine to go in to a replacement car that has no engine, but not the means to put the two together.

Doesn't leave me in a very good place and I'm genuinely not convinced I'm going to get my own way here - looks like I'm going to be £5k out of pocket. Which I suppose if nothing else, serves as a pertinent reminder for everyone here to get an agreed value on their car if it's highly modified!

So I think I'm going to have to buy back the car, ship it to Woodsport to see how damaged it is, and more than likely break it for parts. Having lost out on that eBay listing for body panels recently, I can't see an offer as good as that coming back up!

philster_d

Good luck Will. I know how it feels to drop thousands mate, I hope you can patch something together. or maybe get a blown engine one cheap and transplant the bits you dont want to sell.

Phil

WillsSayers

Out of that £4.5k, it'd cost me between £2k - £2.5k to put the engine in to another car, plus I'll be needing a new exhaust. I'll also have to buy a donor car to do the swap, seemingly with nothing but £2k. I suppose there's nothing stopping me using some additional savings and getting another couple of grand to throw at it - is it possible?

ChrisGB

Shame on the insurers for taking this stance. They are happy to charge loads for the mods and then won't pay out to replace them. IMO you have nothing to lose by contacting the ombudsman. Good luck whichever way it goes.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

WillsSayers

What puts me off doing that, is the (high) risk that I'll get no more money out of the insurers, yet will be delaying the project by another month or so.

WillsSayers

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Having lost out on that eBay listing for body panels recently, I can't see an offer as good as that coming back up!

And then pow, thanks to a tip off from Life of Bryan, manage to find a nigh-on-perfect set of body parts! Only bad thing is, they're down in Sussex, some 300+ miles away! Which means I'm going to need to get a transit van and drive down at some point :

Anonymous

Still worth it Will, good news and well done Bryan.

WillsSayers

£375 for all the panels including the front and rear bumper irons, so definitely worth the venture. I would ask if someone local down there would be able to lend a hand through the travel system, but seeing as it's practically a car's worth of panels, I don't think that'll work xD

Anonymous

Courier?

markiii

will drop me a PM we may be be able to work something out I need to come up to newcastle to collect some stuff so may be able bring your stuff up
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Looks like the wheels are now in motion, majority of the parts have been sourced (from a cosmetic point of view largely) and waiting for the car to get towed back to Woodsport. Hoping they'll say the chassis is fine and only a few things to fix.

So hopefully we'll yet to see her back on the road, and this time I'll have to take better care of her I feel! A huge amount of thanks to everyone that's helped out so far, and many more thanks for the help I'm yet to receive!  s:) :) s:)

I'll try and create a log of all the work that goes on in the restoration if it occurs  s:) :) s:)

WillsSayers

RIP, Yellow Car  s:( :( s:(

ChrisGB

Quote from: "WillsSayers"RIP, Yellow Car  s:( :( s:(

Not fixable then? That's rough, possibly find a shell with a blown engine?

Chris

WillsSayers

Would cost too much to put the engine in to a car that I wouldn't like as much as mine. Think it's time to move on from Yella now. No idea where I'm going to go though, I haven't thought about getting a new car as I haven't known whether or not I'd be repairing.

Can't decide how much to spend, or what to get! HMMMMMM!

Tags: