Cooper s, handling

Started by Anonymous, March 5, 2004, 09:08

Anonymous

Was on my way to work very early this morning, so I thought id see how good my new tyres are, Pirelli p6000 (bit of a budget tyre) no traffic so about as safe a time as any to put your foot down. Was on some long stretches dual carrageway with a couple of nice roundabouts.

Anyway a Mini must of seen me booting it a bit and decided he wanted to show me how well those things handle cos on the bends he was matching my 2 id say evan he was handling them better, much better. He was touching my arse for about 3 miles then on a straight I stayed in front 2nd to 3rd but then he just passed me like I standing still waiting for a bus. It was a CooperS I noticed, but still those things handle well and can shift. Could be im a shite driver but Im up for a challenge and that thing was better handling and quicker than my 2. Respect to the MINI

j80 rjo

Anonymous

Could have been modded, I had a cooper S just about understeer himself into a bush trying to keep up with me on a round about.

Plenty of options out for the S.

Anonymous

I have made a big mistake on the old rubber selection. I put P6000 on the back about 3 months ago. I needed new rubber on the front and didnt have time to run around loads of places. I ended up putting Mitchalin Energys on the front what a mistake. One I will no dout regret when im in a wall. They cost £85 so I thought they would be OK

J80 RJO

Anonymous

This car is funny about it's wheels and tires.  I'm having so much trouble picking what I want...

15" all round with stocks?
15" front and 16" rear with '03 stocks?
16" all round with some sort of tire I have yet to pick...?

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "j80rjo"I have made a big mistake on the old rubber selection. I put P6000 on the back about 3 months ago. I needed new rubber on the front and didnt have time to run around loads of places. I ended up putting Mitchalin Energys on the front what a mistake. One I will no dout regret when im in a wall. They cost £85 so I thought they would be OK

J80 RJO

so your mixing tyres.... no wonder you had trouble. I'd get them all the same make & model NOW if i were you!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

heathstimpson

We may have Fisher Price steroes that can be changed; Minis have Fisher Price interiors that can't  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Quote from: "j80rjo"Pirelli p6000 (bit of a budget tyre)

You already answered yourself why the Mini handled better  s;) ;) s;)

Tyres are everything, they are the only thing between the car and the road...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

U live and learn, im not going to re - buy so im just going to have to get ready for some fun moments.

They didnt handle that bad, it was wetish and we all know what the 2 is like in the wet. Soon see

Tem

Quote from: "j80rjo"it was wetish and we all know what the 2 is like in the wet

You might wanna try the Bridgestone Potenza S03...they make the 2 faster in heavy rain than most cars on dry  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Bloody amazing rubber...

Anonymous

Do they do those in a 16" Tem?  I can't seem to find them in 16".

They are on the '03 are they not?  I could go 15" front 16" rear...

Tem

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Do they do those in a 16" Tem?  I can't seem to find them in 16".

There are 16" sizes, but they are a bit big for 2...

m http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/articles.asp?ID=136 m

MRMike

Have you got these on your 2 TEM? I'm interested as although they have bags of grip like you say..on previous cars I've found them unforgiving..admittedly the limits are higher but when the car lets go, it's tended to let go in a big way, and I tended to prefer something that had lower ultimate limits but let go more progressively..
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Have you got these on your 2 TEM? I'm interested as although they have bags of grip like you say..on previous cars I've found them unforgiving..admittedly the limits are higher but when the car lets go, it's tended to let go in a big way, and I tended to prefer something that had lower ultimate limits but let go more progressively..

That will be the Toyos then... very progressive i found them.

MRMike

I've heard the Toyo's are great in the wet as well..any opinions chris?

Major topic drift sorry!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"I've heard the Toyo's are great in the wet as well..any opinions chris?

Major topic drift sorry!

<last mention on topic drift>

Toyos - just get 'em,enough said!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  PM me if you want more info.

</last mention on topic drift>

Tem

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Have you got these on your 2 TEM? I'm interested as although they have bags of grip like you say..on previous cars I've found them unforgiving..admittedly the limits are higher but when the car lets go, it's tended to let go in a big way, and I tended to prefer something that had lower ultimate limits but let go more progressively..

Yeah, I have them (205/225).

I don't know, I never had any issues with sudden loss of grip with them. I was a bit worried on 1st trackday, cause many say they will break off instantly and there's nothing to do after it. I actually found that they are pretty easy over the limit, but of course I can only compare them to the stock Yokos. Understeer was no issue at all and oversteer just caused some nice drifting  s8) 8) s8)

Anyway, you're not even near the limit of these when you're going at the max speed of Yokos  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

So I guess the p6000 are crap on the 2, and the Mitchalins energies worse still ? Mixing them or my god. why me

Both get a good write up though, but i gess the copper provided the answer

Tem

Quote from: "j80rjo"Both get a good write up though

Just wondering where did you read about them..?

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "j80rjo"Both get a good write up though

Just wondering where did you read about them..?

m http://www.shoppingtrolleytyres.co.uk m  maybe?  s;) ;) s;)

Sorry, couldn't resist! I've had both (P6000's and Michelins) on a previous car, and found neither to be very good unless you're just popping down to the shops, or want a tyre that'll last 30,000miles..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Sorry, couldn't resist!

My guess is you're not far from the truth  s;) ;) s;)

"normal" magazines/sites usually only test a bunch of mediocre tyres. Even if you get the winner, you just have a good mediocre tyre, which is ok for getting groceries and driving your kids to school...

Anonymous

Or come on guys, give me some slack

Why dont you all pitch in and get some F1's a £10 each maybe

My driving ability should make up for it anyway LOL

Don't mention the cooper

lol

Anonymous

Don't be too put off by the Cooper. Last year, Car magazine gave the Cooper S second only to the VXT in Performance Car of the Year. And having driven a VXT, that is SOME accolade. The Cooper S is a PROPER performance car and can corner and shift a lot better than you think............

Tem

Quote from: "j80rjo"Or come on guys, give me some slack

Just look on the bright side, they are a great fun to drift and your wallet doesn't cry when you do that  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

Quote from: "j80rjo"Or come on guys, give me some slack

Why dont you all pitch in and get some F1's a £10 each maybe

My driving ability should make up for it anyway LOL

Don't mention the cooper

lol

on a serious note.

it will taek you a minimum 6 months to wear out those tyre, probably over 12. During that time your seriously spoiling your enjoyment of teh car.

at £40 ish each stick Toyo Proxies on all round. You'll be glad you did.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Perhaps she deserves a break from me driving her a bit hard, 6 months of treating her nice sounds OK.

Just been on dinner and tried testing the rubber, mmmm think they are doing OK, time will tell

Tags: