Cooper s, handling

Started by Anonymous, March 5, 2004, 09:08

Anonymous

Mabye you could book a track or driving skills day, and shred your current tyres that way?!   s8) 8) s8)  
Sure beats just throwing them in the bin, or trundling around cautiously for the next 6-12 months!

Tim

Anonymous

Good idea,

Hay guys what do you lot  think of my website, still working on it
its not about the 2, more work related.

m http://www.vansdirect.datamobility.net m

Slacey

<MOD>

j80rjo, if you want to discuss your website could you please start a new thread in Chit Chat to keep this thread on topic, thanks

</MOD>
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

My wife has a new cooper and the 2 is mine.  I much prefer the 2 overall but the mini is by far the quicker through the bends.  The 2's steering is really vague in comparison.

Slacey

Quote from: "Al Deacon"My wife has a new cooper and the 2 is mine.  I much prefer the 2 overall but the mini is by far the quicker through the bends.  The 2's steering is really vague in comparison.
There is something wrong with your car then  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"There is something wrong with your car then  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Or the driver!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

MRMike

Quote from: "Al Deacon"My wife has a new cooper and the 2 is mine.  I much prefer the 2 overall but the mini is by far the quicker through the bends.  The 2's steering is really vague in comparison.

Whilst there is probably not much difference in real speed, there most certainly is in terms of feel.  The Cooper/S, like the Type R has bags of grip and has weighty steering, however it's engineered weight.  It gives you the impression that the steering is full of feel from the weight.  In a properly set up 2 on good tires you can feel everything on the road, and as far as modern power steering goes is one of the most natural, well weighted racks i've ever driven.  A powerful, front wheel drive car, will never have the best foundation for a informative rack as some of the feel has to be dialled out to 'see through' torque steer. Thats why a std cooper has way better 'feeling' steering than the S.  Of course there are exceptions to this rule like the ITR which has amazingly deft steering.

Incidentally have you removed your front spare? That makes a hell of a difference....and could maybe explain some of the 'vagueness' otherwise the geometry is possibly out.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Incidentally have you removed your front spare? That makes a hell of a difference....and could maybe explain some of the 'vagueness' otherwise the geometry is possibly out.

Surely that would make the front lighter and promote understeer if anything. I know others have found this anyway.

Tem

Quote from: "Al Deacon"I much prefer the 2 overall but the mini is by far the quicker through the bends.

Have you actually timed both? Sometimes a slower car just feels faster...

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Surely that would make the front lighter and promote understeer if anything.

Yeah, it makes the car understeer more/easier...you gotta load the front axle a bit to really make it grip.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

you'll be on re040 then
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

Your right it will promote understeer...whereby the front won't turn in.  This can happen with a large front engined car, in this instance though the car will be back weighted giving a 'power boat' effect (high nose). When i've had the spare removed there doesn't seem to be enough ballast over the front wheels to key them into the tarmac..and the car will want to plough on in the bend.  The result is vague steering feel.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

i notice a difference in the steering just by moving the tool kit from the storage bins to the spare wheel bay

has anyone else tried this

by the way driven rated the cooper s as having better handling than the Porsche 911

Tem

Quote from: "adz648"i notice a difference in the steering just by moving the tool kit from the storage bins to the spare wheel bay

Well...it's weight just as the spare itself  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I didn't mean to offend anyone.  Maybe I didn't emphasise it enough.  

I love my 2 and wouldn't swap it for anything.  I have owned far faster cars in the past: impreza, evo, Gt4 etc but I much prefer the mid engined rear-wheel drive handling of the 2.

However, has anybody who commented actually driven the new mini?

It really is that good and inspires so much confidence(not a slur on the 2)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

MRMike

Yeah i've driven a one, cooper, Cooper S, and the Civic and I stand by what I said...everyone has a diff opinion on what handles well. I would say that my old 206GTI handled better than the cooper as well.

My friend thinks his fiesta RS is the best handling car because it never oversteers therefore he thinks it has more grip.  He's wrong..but thats his opinion!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Everyone looks for something different..I like throtle adjustability...some like iron steel grip, some like the car toundersteer.  If you look on an F1 grid no car is the same..all are set up to handle slightly differently to inspire confidence for that particular driver..

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Mike,
       I agree with what you said about engineered feel.
 Returning to the original thread about the cooper leaving the 2 for dead.

I know I would travel far quicker in a Cooper on twisty road than I could in my 2.
Would you?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Al Deacon"I know I would travel far quicker in a Cooper on twisty road than I could in my 2.
Would you?

But is that down to your driving ability? (no offence)

I know since i went on a driver training day and was show how the car behaved and why it did what it did, i now drive faster in the wet than i ever did in the dry and thats without the back end stepping out at all!

Anonymous

a front engined, front wheel drive car will never handle better than a rear drive, mid engine car.

Why do you think the majority of supercars use this layout? eg. Mclaren F1, Ferrari enzo, Pagani Zonda, etc, etc...

Anonymous

I find that the cooper ultimately has more front end grip than the 2 and this slows me down in the 2.
 I have done a few track days on my bike and once in my impreza but never with the 2 (maybe I should)
  I like to believe driving the 2 is not ultimately about vast amounts of grip or power but about the balance between both and the fun you can have with it.  I have learnt more about driving in the 2 than any other car I have owned.

MRMike

Quote from: "Al Deacon"I know I would travel far quicker in a Cooper on twisty road than I could in my 2.
Would you?

I would have to say no.  s:D :D s:D  but there wouldn't be a lot in it..I think if you had never driven both cars, and put in both you may well be faster in the cooper.  Once you've learnt to lean on the MR2, and use that mid engine layout to its advantages I would think you would be faster in the 2..It's a lot easier to go faster in a cooper...but IMO you will ultimately go faster in an MR2.  s:D :D s:D

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

When you are leaning on the 2.  Do you not have to eventually slow down when you run out of grip, because I do  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

God guys, this has started a big debate

Im sure the 2 is the best, going off topic anyone seen those gumball rallys in the USA, mad

Tags: