6 SPEED box

Started by Ilogik, April 13, 2010, 10:02

Ilogik

Anyone else hate it? Im getting so fed up with it, my 5 speed box was so smooth could find every gear really easily. The 6 speed is so notchy especially if you need to drop down to 2 or 1 or from 2 -3. Putting it in reverse instead of first at the lights was a brown trouser moment too.

Anyone else who went 5 to 6 speed any tricks to over come it?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

mattbrown82

I believe the usual things to improve the feel of the 6 speed box are:
   MT90 GB fluid
   TRD quickshift (or similiar, but this may make it even more notchy)
   Brass/Delrin shifter bushes.

I have done all the above and I'm very happy with the result.

When the box is cold I find you have to be very gentle with the lower gear changes to allow it to slip into gear. It won't be rushed  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

markiii

all of teh above

plus the 5 speed you can be fairly brutal with on changes and it will go in

the 6 speed you have to finesse (not my strongpoint)

it also depends on what short shifter you have, the ebay cheapies plus 6 speed are imho not a gool combination, not found one I've liked yet
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I vastly prefer the 6 to the 5, I struggle to get on with the 5's on the odd occasion I've a driven a car so equipped. Stick with the 6 and give it a chance, you'll be converted soon.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ilogik"Anyone else who went 5 to 6 speed any tricks to over come it?

Nope, had mine for at least a year (maybe two now, I lose track of time) and I still can't shift quickly from 2-3 without hitting 5th instead, 3-2 is like driving a car without synchros, and 1st is a bugger to engage.

I hate it..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

you struggle with 2nd to 3rd? thats a new one

theo ther changes yo metnion I can understand

Dan better get practicing then, teh race car will be a 5 speed  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

At first i thought there was something wrong with the box lol, first is a bitch to try and find, really struggle at stop start lights.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"you struggle with 2nd to 3rd? thats a new one

Yeah, if I'm at WOT in 2nd and steering even slightly to the left, I'll end up in 5th.. if I'm steering slightly to the right, I'll end up stuck on the gate between 1st & 3rd.  If I'm going absolutely in a straight line I can usually hit 3rd now, though.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Dan better get practicing then, the race car will be a 5 speed  :-) :-) :-)
I know  s:( :( s:(   s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

I have the 6 with a che short shifter, no real issues really, can't remember thinking it was worse than the 5spd.

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "markiii"you struggle with 2nd to 3rd? thats a new one

Yeah, if I'm at WOT in 2nd and steering even slightly to the left, I'll end up in 5th.. if I'm steering slightly to the right, I'll end up stuck on the gate between 1st & 3rd.  If I'm going absolutely in a straight line I can usually hit 3rd now, though.

this was teh shift that took a lot of getting used to with my B&M

try thinking of its as 2 changes in 1 i.e one use of teh clutch put a movement from 2nd to neutral relax teh pressure in your arm and then push into 3rd

became 2nd nature in teh end  :-) :-) :-)

Rowland

Quote from: "Ilogik"Anyone else hate it?

Yes, I'm not a big fan.
When I stated racing my 2004 mk3, I really struggled with swift gear changes and was forever engaging the wrong gear.
As it happens it was a JDM car so no LSD, I happily swapped the 6-speed for a UK 5-speed LSD box from a pre facelift car.
An Instant difference, but at the time I simply put it down to me being used to a 5 speed from my mk2 roots.

s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "nelix"I have the 6 with a che short shifter, no real issues really, can't remember thinking it was worse than the 5spd.

Have to agree with that. When I went from 5->6, I didn't notice any difference. Well, I did notice the 6th gear.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I did get the box from facelifted '2, so no idea about the other boxes from other cars, which fit with mods.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

philster_d

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "nelix"I have the 6 with a che short shifter, no real issues really, can't remember thinking it was worse than the 5spd.

Have to agree with that. When I went from 5->6, I didn't notice any difference. Well, I did notice the 6th gear.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I did get the box from facelifted '2, so no idea about the other boxes from other cars, which fit with mods.

I agree with these two. Funny though when I got it back from Rogue it had been so long there I forgot I had a new 6th gear. I was on the motorway when I suddenly just discovered it again  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I was like hmm 4th shouldnt sound like that.  hehe

Mad Matt

For me I found I need to make precise un-hurried movements and I get on with it really well. If I'm stressed or try to change too quickly I bodge the 2nd to 3rd movement. If I relax the change still goes quickly but doesn't get bodged. I think MarkII's explanation sounds a good.

I've never had a problem with third to second and I've never felt the need to grab first in a hurry. On the other hand I've never pulled reverse by accident  :-) :-) :-)

philster_d

On my 5 speed you could sometimes crunch  changedown to 3rd. And I think its 3rd that eventualy broke too. The 5 speed box is reputed to be weaker.

Tags: