Insurance...

Started by JiMR2, April 18, 2010, 15:06

philster_d

I just called them too for a quote on a TT 300zx still waiting for the call back. The guy sounded a bit sheepish on the phone so I suppose it might be coming out with a silly number.

Phil

aaronjb

Quote from: "philster_d"I just called them too for a quote on a TT 300zx still waiting for the call back. The guy sounded a bit sheepish on the phone so I suppose it might be coming out with a silly number.

The loading for import Z's is (or was) horrendous.. my first Z (1989, TT, auto, import) cost me £1750 TPF&T, my second (1992, TT, manual, UK car) cost me £850 FC with virtually no change in circumstances.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

My import tubby quotes started out like that at first. Fortunately after a few years the seemed to stop doing it to imports as much. doesnt help if there is no comparable uk car I suppose.

Phil

philster_d

Just for reference got my quote and very happy as usual with Sky no need to go check anywhere else.

Philster

evileye_wrx

So, if you tell the Insurance company you've made mods to your car and they say you can't and immediately cancel your insurance do you immediate stop paying them or will they demand the rest of your year's payments straight away? Presuming your on monthly payments that is

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

robsonic

With JiMR2 now sorted can i hijack his thread?

When i declared my unichip to admiral insurance they came back with no change to premium - happy days (£330). Have just got my renewal paperwork through and the unichip is declared as 'engine tuning 0-10%'

So assuming that gives me 140bhp+10%=154bhp. Without putting it on a dyno I will never know. The unichip was Jigwar's american one but I don't know if he ever dyno'd his.

It doesn't 'feel' any faster than that - I can keep up with my mate in his 160bhp mx5 but am certainly no quicker than him in a straight line.

Whats the consesus on this one?
2006-2016, but the love (and seatbelt covers) have happily passed to my daughter   s]

philster_d

What exactly is the question?

Anonymous

Well it's not going to give you any less power, and it could be giving you more than 154bhp, so I'd keep my mouth quiet and be happy with their price.

robsonic

Quote from: "philster_d"What exactly is the question?

Will engine tuning 0-10% be enough to cover the unichips performance?
2006-2016, but the love (and seatbelt covers) have happily passed to my daughter   s]

Anonymous

Oh, right. It's not impossible: Go and put your car on a dyno and find out?

philster_d

Ah,

It sounds about right. They may have a system by the look of it you are into the lower end or "minimal" mods.

I wouldnt worry about it, make sure if they ask for a model report (or mods list) you write it down exactly. Also anytime you are not sure you can always ask them for clarification. exact bhp increase  is a bit subjective for any 1 part on any particular car. Seems they are more allowing a tollerance for your potential enhancement.

Phil

robsonic

Cheers guys.

JiMR2

Quote from: "evileye_xc"So, if you tell the Insurance company you've made mods to your car and they say you can't and immediately cancel your insurance do you immediate stop paying them or will they demand the rest of your year's payments straight away?

I mentioned in passing the front/rear spats and they said that due to the bodykit modification and my age (under 25) they were unable to offer me cover any more and that my policy would be terminated with immediate effect.   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

As they cancelled on me, they would waiver any cancellation fee and take/refund any owed monies.
AKA Cinnamon Jim

philster_d

Its best to ask first for future mods.

Seems a bit harsh.

Is it these 2 plastic bits by the number plate?  couldnt they let you the option to imediately remove them.

JiMR2

No it was the front spats - the  2 plastic bits under the fogs.

Naively just assumed that as it was an optional extra - that i added retrospectively - that it wouldn't be an issue and that my cost may increase a bit. Never imagined them to tell me they would cancel immediately.

Luckily all the speedy advice on here - and from reading previous posts in the past on here it made me rather cautious - and i decided against using my car yesterday  -despite the weather... sods law it would've been though eh... take it for a drive, smash n get told that due to your plastic front spoilers your insurance is void... OUCH! Definately NOT worth the risk eh...

All resolved now. Just waiting for it all in writing!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

philster_d

Cool man.

Now enjoy the summer.

s:) :) s:)

Tags: