Decisions, Decisions

Started by rypt, April 21, 2010, 22:16

rypt

Should I wait some more while trying to sell my current Celica (which is not shifting at all at the moment) and then buy an MR2 with gutted pre-cats

Or should I use my Celica as part-ex and get an MR2 knowing full well that the pre-cats may be going and that it will need a new engine. Should the engine fail, provided I got a good deal on the car I can go and fit a 2zz in it my self (so no labour charges to consider anyway) and not actually loose much (any) money

Eventually whatever car I get will get a 2zz in it anyway

custardavenger

Welcome.

I guess that depends on what you get offered trade on the Celica. Personally I don't buy from garages, Never found one I trust.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

stargazer30

If your going for a facelift pre cats are less of a worry, maybe get one with low miles to reduce the risk?
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

markiii

precats are a worry no matter how old teh car
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

rypt

See I want a different car now, so bored of my Celica.
But at the same time, I don't want to get an MR2 and still have the Celica sitting about until it sells (yes I'm exercising some self restraint here as I have enough spare funds to get an MR2 first provided I can sell Celica by mid-May)

s:( :( s:(

Quote from: "markiii"precats are a worry no matter how old the car
If you look around there seem to be several MR2s that have had replacement engines or are being sold with engine damage - so it's certainly a bigger problem than Toyota admit

cclarke99

QuoteEventually whatever car I get will get a 2zz in it anyway

If you're going to change the engine, would it be best to use insurance (e.g. Warranty Direct) to cover against any problems until you make the swap, or alternatively buy a car with a dead engine and do the swap immediately

rypt

Quote from: "cclarke99"
QuoteEventually whatever car I get will get a 2zz in it anyway

If you're going to change the engine, would it be best to use insurance (e.g. Warranty Direct) to cover against any problems until you make the swap, or alternatively buy a car with a dead engine and do the swap immediately

That would require having to have the car services at trade though (for most warranties afaik), which is just pointless as I can do 99.9% of the things myself

The other issue of course is that pre-cats are mostly only gutted by people on here, so finding a car with gutted pre-cats and in a colour I want is a pain.
Getting a facelift (which is less likely to have an issue) would just mean spending more money (especially since I want a hardtop one) without the benefit of definite reliability and with the fact that facelifts look uglier  s:D :D s:D

Cmon, someone convince me that that I should just go ahead and get the car that I like that I found pre-cats or not :/

muffdan

Buy the car that you like, pre-cats or not. It'll be good for you.  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

cclarke99

Buy the car, enjoy it and the good weather and sort the pre-cats when it starts raining

davidarden

Quote from: "markiii"precats are a worry no matter how old the car

That's why he said 'less of a worry'   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "stargazer30"If your going for a facelift pre cats are less of a worry, maybe get one with low miles to reduce the risk?
2003 | Silver | TTE Springs | Twin H&S | No Precats | Toyo T1-R\'s | Red Calipers | De-badged | Pioneer DEH-50UB

rypt

Quote from: "muffdan"Buy the car that you like, pre-cats or not. It'll be good for you.  s:) :) s:)

Well, just wasted 80 mile round-trip to look at one, at a trader.
Everything looks good, has a decent Toyota car history etc. Body in decentish condition, engine bay looks clean.

Do my usual checks, brakes, fluids ... oh hang on, there is NO engine oil, as in it is off the E mark on the dipstick.

I pity the next person to go look at the car as they will have undoubtedly topped it up by then.

Freaking buying private tbh :/ IF this Celica sells finally, so far 2 tyre kickers and 2 scam emails

cclarke99

There are 11 MR2s within 30 miles of Oxford between £4 and 6K - must be a good one amongst that lot?

rypt

Quote from: "cclarke99"There are 11 MR2s within 30 miles of Oxford between £4 and 6K - must be a good one amongst that lot?

It's not about the distance (I'm happy to travel almost anywhere), it's about the fact that I want a hardtop one ... and unless my Celica finally sells I also want to get rid of the Celica at the same time, meaning that I need part-ex via trade.
If I wanted an MR2 that I know is good I could go buy chazzyw's SORN one up in Teeside, but that doesn't solve the fact that I will still have the Celica sitting around doing nothing

leon_in_uk

im planning on buying an MR2 regardless of Pre cats.  then as soon as i buy one im gutting it myself!! as for the hardtop, just buy second hand one for about £500 as most dealers would put that onto the car your buying!
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

rypt

comes out to more than £500 with a fitting kit, plus then you need to find the correct colour

leon_in_uk

well your not gonna need one until the winter so you have time to save and plan ahead??
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

rypt

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"well your not gonna need one until the winter so you have time to save and plan ahead??

Who says I'm gonna run topless in summer :/

I'm a coupe (t-bar at most) person rather than a convertible person

rypt

Celica might finally be going on Sunday  s:D :D s:D

uktotty

Good news!!

muffdan

woohoo!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

rypt

Now to find a car I'm happy with (assuming the Celica really does sell)

loadswine

If you aren't keen on the convertible aspect, its possible the Roadster may not be your cup of tea. Make sure you take a nice long drive of one before committing to buying it.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

rypt

Quote from: "loadswine"If you aren't keen on the convertible aspect, its possible the Roadster may not be your cup of tea. Make sure you take a nice long drive of one before committing to buying it.

I've owned the MK2 (a T-bar) and have driven the roadster (or rather "spyder" as the official name should be technically) before.
I'm not buying it for the convertible aspect, I'm buying it as a good, fun car.

I don't really like having lots of wind in my face, hence the general dislike for convertibles. But with a hardtop, it's perfect - as it turns it into a mid-engined coupe (and there aren't many of those around)

markiii

Quote from: "rypt"
Quote from: "loadswine"the roadster (or rather "spyder" as the official name should be technically) before.

how so?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

It was named Roadster by Toyota, how can it be wrong?

Tags: