Decisions, Decisions

Started by rypt, April 21, 2010, 22:16

rypt

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "rypt"
Quote from: "loadswine"the roadster (or rather "spyder" as the official name should be technically) before.

how so?

American name is Spyder, the JDM name is MR-S (which the S supposedly being for Spyder)

I can't remember which way round the spyder/roadster naming is with regards to British/American English - but generally roadster is given to front engined cars with luggage space at the back (which the MR-S certainly lacks)
Spyder is the more appropriate name for mid-engined varieties

But as everything with today's marketing, lines are blurred and different markets get different names that no longer reflect the historical meaning of the term, or the cross-language/country term differences

EDIT: and this is the most pointless argument ever

Joey

I'm puzzled. I thought the MR-S were imports?

uktotty

Quote from: "Joey"I'm puzzled. I thought the MR-S were imports?
Which of course is why they are Japanese Jo  s:) :) s:)
If they were made in the Uk we wouldnt need to import them   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mad Matt

I believe the definition of a roadster is any car where the driver can touch the rear wheel from the driving seat.

Of course I could just be making that up  :-) :-) :-)

Joey

But i thought MR2 were UK registered and MRS came into the country after registration. Like the MX5 and the Eunos?

Puzzled.

markiii

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "Joey"I'm puzzled. I thought the MR-S were imports?
Which of course is why they are Japanese Jo  s:) :) s:)
If they were made in the Uk we wouldnt need to import them   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

by which definition they are all imports as none were made in teh UK  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "rypt"EDIT: and this is the most pointless argument ever

Then why start it?

Toyota designated, and strangely badged   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , the mk3 mr2 as the mr2 roadster for the uk market. I fail to see why the "official"name can be anything else.

rypt

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "rypt"EDIT: and this is the most pointless argument ever

Then why start it?

Toyota designated, and strangely badged   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , the mk3 mr2 as the mr2 roadster for the uk market. I fail to see why the "official"name can be anything else.

Because it's JDM (yo!)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I like calling Japanese cars by either their JDM name or their chassis codes

Quote from: "Joey"But i thought MR2 were UK registered and MRS came into the country after registration. Like the MX5 and the Eunos?

Puzzled.

The MR-S is the Japanese name for the same (basically) car, so yes the cars badged as MR2 are UK ones, and MR-S are JDM ones.

The difference between Eunos and MX5 is that Eunos was a brand owned by Mazda, so it was in fact a Eunos Roadster in Japan AFAIK and a Mazda MX5 here (and a Mazda Miata in USA).

EDIT: Speaking of JDM, I swear that if I end up getting the car in Green I will re-paint both bonnets and the hardtop yellow to make the car be based on the Soshinoya badge (sort of)

mrzwei

Sorry, just pass this by me again, you want to buy a roadster with a hardtop? There are a few cars out there that don't have roofs which fold down. Buy my Saab if you want, try as I will the bloody roof won't fold when the sun comes out. Apologies in advance mod.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

rypt

Quote from: "mrzwei"Sorry, just pass this by me again, you want to buy a roadster with a hardtop? There are a few cars out there that don't have roofs which fold down. Buy my Saab if you want, try as I will the bloody roof won't fold when the sun comes out. Apologies in advance mod.

I doubt the Saab is what I would describe as fun :/
I see the MR-S as a more forgiving version of the SW20, that won't try to kill me everytime I hit a bump mid-bend

Mike68

oxford and cambridge dictionaries both state a roadster is:
'a car without a roof and with only two seats' Spyder is not in the dictionary.
In America they spell colour without the 'u' and tyres as tires, does that mean we are wrong? Nope, they are roadsters as this is the UK afterall. I have an MR-S but it's in this country therefor it's a roadster, if it were imported to USA then they can call it what they want as it's their country.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   The Saab is probably not fun, but it's bloody quick. Shame about the corners.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

rypt

Quote from: "mrzwei":lol:  The Saab is probably not fun, but it's bloody quick. Shame about the corners.

The real fun is in the twisties  s:) :) s:)

There is a nice "Touge" road layout near me, it is a bit flat unfortunately and too potholed, but nice and challenging (would be nicer if they fixed the potholes finally)

muffdan

You'll have to show me this road some time  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

rypt

There are 3 routes of varying length

1) Go out of Wheatley towards Worminghall (past the Brookes campus entrance), carry on straight though Worminghall into Oakley, but turn left just as you are about to enter Oakley proper. Then second left, and carry on all the way to Stanton St John

2) Go out of Wheatley towards Worminghall (past the Brookes campus entrance), turn left at the crossroads - arry on all the way to Stanton St John.

3) Go out of Wheatley towards Worminghall (past the Brookes campus entrance), turn right at the crossroads. Go through Shabbington, and then right on the A418 that takes you back to the Welcome Break Services

3 has the least potholes, but also the most traffic during the day

philster_d

A dragster is determined by a parcel shelf smaller than 1m2

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "rypt"There are 3 routes of varying length

1) Go out of Wheatley towards Worminghall (past the Brookes campus entrance), carry on straight though Worminghall into Oakley, but turn left just as you are about to enter Oakley proper. Then second left, and carry on all the way to Stanton St John

2) Go out of Wheatley towards Worminghall (past the Brookes campus entrance), turn left at the crossroads - arry on all the way to Stanton St John.

3) Go out of Wheatley towards Worminghall (past the Brookes campus entrance), turn right at the crossroads. Go through Shabbington, and then right on the A418 that takes you back to the Welcome Break Services

3 has the least potholes, but also the most traffic during the day

LOL part of that was the Treasure hunt I did a while ago!

rypt

We do have some good roads, it is just a shame that Oxfordshire council decide to spend about 10p a year on maintaining them

rypt

So much for Celica going today, the guy who was supposed to come look at it was supposed to call in morning before setting off

No call and no guy  s:( :( s:(

Ilogik

Try webuyanycar.com make your selling price more realistic if no interest.

Hardtop debate : I never take mine off either.

MR-S Spyder Roadster debate : Was it not that the MR-S was never an MR2 it was just the Toyota MR-S in Japan, but was made part of the MR2 family in the UK and America?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

rypt

Hmm, I'd argue that it was part of the MR2 family but the -S was used to show that it was something new, different (a convertible and not a t-top/coupe).

One good outcome of the seller no-showing, I do finally have a working radio in car after almost 12 months (decided I should actually fit it before trying to sell car)

rypt

I wish car dealers actually knew about cars they were selling :/

Am I right in saying that this look like it has the hardtop fitting kit on the car (but clearly no hardtop)

Anonymous

Yes, it has the side strikers and rear chrome mounts.

rypt

Score, got a red car with a hardtop and 50k on the clock  s:) :) s:)

Also got lost 3 times getting there and back, once due to Google maps/Streetview being too old and not showing that everything had been demolished and new roads built :/

And I have a question, what recalls would an '00 spyder have had? In the history for the car there is a letter from Toyota saying that the car had undergone work under a recall, with the work being carried out in '08 (wow, 8 year recall time lol). Doesn't mention why the recall was done though.

Mad Matt

Might be the radio? Not sure.

Anyway, congratulations on the car!

Tags: