A knock at the door at 12 a.m.

Started by digress, May 18, 2010, 09:44

digress

is never a good thing.

And sure enough, there was PC Plod to tell me a bunch of teens had been running about the neighbourhood hitting wing mirrors with a skateboard.

As you've probably guessed, the MR2 was one of these 'targeted'.

Went out to find my passenger wing mirror hanging by the electric cord. On the plus side it appears to be a 'clean break'. It came off right at the door, the mirror is intact, the electrics still work and it kind of clicks back in to place and stayed secure with a little bit of Duck tape on the way to work today.

The questions is: "How do I fix it?" and "Is it easy to do?"

enid_b

im amazed that the police came and knocked on your door.

looks like this new government is getting a grip after all !!!!!

oh, and im sorry for your loss. the yoof of today.  s:( :( s:(
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

philster_d

I saw one like this the other week, is that the new craze ? jees

enid_b

a copper or a broken mirror?

the feds are as rare as hens teeth round here, saw a pcso the other day, i nearly spat my tea out !!!!
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

markiii

line them up and smack them with their own skateboards

(the culprits not teh cops)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

digress

It's undoubtedly irritating but I'm already over it - last year's "Car written off while parked at front door" incident means that this is pretty small fry.

Apparently, a few cars in the street had the same fate, and one neighbour even had their car roof jumped on. Thankfully, the MR2 didn't get that treatment.

Really just needing some advice on how to fix?

Is it a door card off job?

cclarke99

I've sent a PM with some info - hope it helps

digress

Quote from: "cclarke99"I've sent a PM with some info - hope it helps

Cheers for that.

Upon further inspection this evening, it appears that the internal housing - in which you screw the bolts in - is basically shattered.

I fear that, despite the fact that the motor, housing and mirror are all fine, a replacement is going to have to be bought.

That can only be expensive.

cclarke99

I would have thought that you'd have a very good chance of finding that part cheap, as there must be lots of cases where the door and mirror are damaged beyond repair but the inner fixing is OK. It just depends on how much time you have to look around.

digress

Thanks for all the help/links/thoughts on the above.

The good news - mirror is fixed. Glue, proxy resin and patience. Pleased with the result - I think it's now stronger than it was before!

Tags: